The 10 sci-fi/fantasy books that mean the most to me

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Re: The 10 sci-fi/fantasy books that mean the most to me

Post by Impenitent »

I had forgotten this thread so I'm grateful you drew it to the top, Elengil. I reread it all, and I'm using it as a recommendation list.

I still have not completed my list; I'm up to 8. There are many contenders but I'm making a serious attempt at selecting the books that really packed a wallop, the ones that influenced my thinking, my interest and perspective on the world - my character, really.

I will get back to it.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I think I’m Almost done with my List...
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

And reading back, I see I did post it!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

I began reading the replies, then realised other people’s choices might influence me.
So this is the list of the first 10 books that came to mind, which is as good an indicator as any of their importance at that moment.
In no particular order *

1 Brave New World
2 The Weirdstone of Brisingamen
3 Watership Down
4 Flowers For Algernon
5 The Forever War
6 The Stainless Steel Rat
7 The Saga of the Pliocene Exiles **
8 A Wizard of Earthsea
9 Day of the Triffids
10 Behold the Man

* Tolkien, if included, would top the list, and I've only included one book from each author except ** Julian May
In a society built on deceit, telling truth is a seditious act
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Ooooh! Thank you Beorhtnoth! I still have 2 outstanding, plus numerous honourable mentions:

Already listed in a preceding post, in the chronological order in which I encountered them, not necessarily reflecting their influence or importance to me:
A Wrinkle in Time (L'Engle)
The Narnia books (CS Lewis), specifically The Magician's Nephew
Out of the Silent Planet (CS Lewis) and the other two in his space trilogy.
The Chrysalids (John Wyndham) - and also Day of the Triffids, but mostly the first
The Ship Who Sang (Anne McCaffrey)
The Hobbit, swiftly followed by Lord of the Rings
The Well at the World's End (William Morris)
Dune (Frank Herbert), and the two following in the original trilogy

Additional (including honourable mentions, not in any order):
Brave New World (Huxley)
Vorkosigan Saga (Huxley)
The Broken Earth series (NK Jemisin)
A Door Into Ocean (Joan Slonczewski)
Disc World (Terry Pratchett)
Eon and Eona *two separate titles (Alison Goodman)
The Expanse series (James SA Corey)
The Dispossessed & The Left Hand of Darkness (Ursula Le Guin)
Windhome (Kristin Landon) - I have read it only once, but it moved me deeply and I think I will read it again when the impact of her death does not permeate the reading. I don't know whether it is the book itself that has touched me so, or whether it is the knowledge that this has become Prim's magnum opus. Perhaps her next book may have overshadowed this one but we will never know. :(
Last edited by Impenitent on Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:cry:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:47 pm :cry:
wut? why??
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Prim.

I can’t re-read it either, Imp.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I can read the Hidden World trilogy but not Windhome. I'm not quite sure why.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

:grouphug:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
scirocco

Post by scirocco »

I’m surprised no-one’s mentioned Roger Zelazny’s Nine Princes in Amber series (sometimes referred to as the Chronicles of Amber).

I honestly think that these books rival Tolkien for sheer inventive freshness at the time they came out. The magical motifs of the Trumps and the Pattern are those kind of strokes of imaginative genius on a par with that of the Ring.

I’ve owned my trashy pulp paperback copies since the ‘80’s and I re-read them every couple of years or so (after I stick the loose pages back in and sellotape the covers back on.) :)

So that’s my top 10! 😀😀
Attachments
IMG_0188.jpeg
IMG_0188.jpeg (524.72 KiB) Viewed 4846 times
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Grrr. My library doesn't have them.

So is "My Name is Legion" the first in the series?
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I picked up the Amber series used, not long after I got into audio books but have never actually read them. Maybe I should.....
scirocco

Post by scirocco »

Jude wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:26 pmSo is "My Name is Legion" the first in the series?
No, the first one is Nine Princes. I just happened to have My Name is Legion and This Immortal on the shelf next to them. Both are worth reading but the first four Amber novels proper (Nine Princes to The Hand of Oberon) are the pinnacle of Zelazny’s work.

Well worth buying secondhand - there must be millions of old copies around (if they haven’t all fallen apart).
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Doesn't look to be part of the series Jude:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Amber
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Hi, my name is Narya, and my life has become unmanageable. :P Well, where books are concerned. I've read about 200 books (some more than once) in the past 2 years since I retired and discovered Libby, and was able to partially slake my pent-up thirst for books. But every time someone mentions a great book to read, I add it to my to-read list, which now has over 400 books on it. I just can't keep up with my thirst!

There is no way I could trim my recommendation list down to 10 books. The Expanse series alone has 9 novels plus 8 novellas. And my tastes have changed over the years, so books I read and re-read in my younger days, I probably wouldn't pick up to read now. I have enjoyed fantasy and historic fiction in the past, but my favorites now are space operas with thoughtful dialog, vivid descriptions, and hard science. (Why yes, I do research rocket science on the internet for fun, doesn't everyone?) Also, I prefer audio books, which I can listen to while going about my day doing other things. That's how I can read an average of two books per week. But most of the older classics are not available in Libby in audio format. My eyeballs can't take more than about an hour per day of text reading. The other issue I have with older classics is how gender and race are handled. I grew up with all male (and white) heroes in most of my early speculative fiction reading because that was all there was available in the 60s and 70s. Even the few women authors (like Andre Norton) wrote true to the male-dominated genre of her time. Now there is far more diversity in speculative fiction, and I don't really want to go back to the old norms. Right now, I'm struggling to get through Delany's "Stars in My Pocket like Grains of Sand", written in 1984, and am coming to realize that for him (the author), women are the inscrutable aliens. Or, as he often calls them, b****s.

The best I can offer is a list of the speculative fiction authors I've read in the past two years and want to see more of, in no particular order:

1. Daniel Abraham (writes fantasy alone, and sci fi with Ty Franck under the pen name James S.A. Corey)
2. Cory Doctorow
3. Martha Wells
4. Becky Chambers
5. John Scalzi
6. Andy Weir
7. Nnedi Okorafor
8. NK Jemisin
9. Ann Leckie
10. Alfred Bester (very old school, but inspiration for later authors)
11. Katherine Addison
12. Charles Yu
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Eight of those writers are also on my list; the other 4 I don't know but I'll rectify that.