Amelia Peabody

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Re: Amelia Peabody

Post by Impenitent »

Inanna, would you recommend it?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Hmmm. If you have really enjoyed the Egyptology angle of Peabody's works - yes. This deals with the famous head statue of Nefertiti, and all that stuff was interesting to me.

If you know all that, abd enjoy Peabody sorely for her writing.... maybe not. By the end of the book - the style was really annoying.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I received my copy a couple of days ago, but am in the middle of a Barbara Michaels book, which I should finish today.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Ah, I was wondering about you, Jude.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I'm about 100 pages in and my impression so far is much more favourable than Inanna's. Let's hope it doesn't all go south later on :er:

I'll have more to say when I'm finished...
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

The first 100 pages I also really enjoyed,Jude. The last few chapters were the ones that grated on me.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Just realized that I haven't read "deeds of the disturber". Its available on nypl only as an audiobook, so it escaped me. Buying it on Amazon now. Oh, wow, how I needed this, this week!

ETA: it is not available on Kindle. :shock:
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Having read all of Elizabeth Peters' books, I'm now working my way through the Barbara Michaels books.

I have to say, the "seduction" scene at the end of "Search the Shadows" is probably the best writing of that genre I've ever read. :D

They should film it, and not change a word of the dialogue.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Innana, I have it on kindle so it must be available!

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I read it! A couple of months ago.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I'm re-reading the entire series. I gotta say, it's much, much better the second time though.

My library is closed indefinitely, so I have to buy all the books I didn't pick up the first time through...
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Tried the Online library?
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Which online library?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I am guessing she is talking about the internet archive's emergency Library, which has caused quite a bit of controversy.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Also many libraries will still lend ebooks, if that's an option. And there's the entire Project Gutenberg. ;)

Funny, I'm also rereading the first book now. Such comforting read.

PS: many local independent bookstores sell books online, including ebooks, and they really need support now.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I am guessing she is talking about the internet archive's emergency Library, which has caused quite a bit of controversy.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
Uh no. I was talking about Jude’s public library’s online library. That’s how I get my books.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

You mean you don't already have a huge pile of books you bought but haven't gotten around to reading and also a Kindle stash? No? Just me?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Nope. Nothing is left unread around me.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Not sure what is sadder, having a pile of unread books, or not having a pile of unread books!!
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Neither is sad. One is the pleasure of future unknown words, the other the pleasure of future re-exploration of those words.