2012 Olympics (spoilers for tape-delayed events)

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

I don't know about that, vison, certainly it has the traditional "world" meaning to most everyone who watches.

The Olympics is about putting the best players from around the world in competitions where they can excel and compete for their own country. Because a sport already does that (soccer, golf), should not disqualify it from the olympic spirit or from those athletes enjoying that level of athletic achievement and respect.

Likewise, just because players from all over the world play in a professional league in one country (baseball, basketball), should not bring disdain for indeed recognizing that they are worldwide sports. It's not even true that there are only one league, only that that is the most popular.

In fact, it is apparent that the Olympics has moved in a primarily european direction with the sports it picks, favoring handball, field hockey, and rugby, over something like baseball, which is much more asian and american (north and south) as not being "world" enough. HA! More like no european country has a chance to win.
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

I know I'm going back a few pages, but the last "racewalking" race is on tv right now.

There are two rules in race walking I think, but I only ever remember one of them, which is that you have to have a foot on the ground at all times. None of them are doing that. It's close, but they're basically running slowly and hoping they don't get DQed.

THAT, makes it absurd IMHO. It's about who can cheat the most without getting caught. Maybe it's just that they only pay attention to the leaders or something, but it becomes blatantly clear when they show it in slow motion... it looks like they're running!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

halplm wrote: In fact, it is apparent that the Olympics has moved in a primarily european direction with the sports it picks, favoring handball, field hockey, and rugby, over something like baseball, which is much more asian and american (north and south) as not being "world" enough. HA! More like no european country has a chance to win.
Sorry, hal but sweeping statements like that don't bear up to examination:

Handball is played worldwide - except in Britain :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_handb ... nal_bodies
There are even U.S. intercollegiate handball championships...

As for field hockey, it is most definitely played worldwide, with leading teams coming from India, Pakistan, The Netherlands, Germany, New Zealand, Australia, Spain, Argentina, Great Britain, South Africa and Korea. In the US it is apparently limited to high school and college sides, and then mainly women play. (Again according to wikipedia)

ETA: am feeling sore over this since GB Men have just lost their Bronze medal play-off to Australia....but at least our women did win the Bronze yesterday over NZ!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I think the issue with baseball (and softball, which was also dropped) was that one nation was consistently dominating. When that happens, the IOC drops the axe. This is why South Korea has been so diligently exporting their best TKD coaches around the world. It makes it harder for SKorean athletes to bring home medals, but the TKD people would rather keep their sport in the Olympics than maintain national pride.

Maybe, with the rise of baseball throughout Asia and Latin America, an argument can be made to let it back in. But, then again, cricket and rugby aren't in the Olympics either and those both have fairly wide international followings as well.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

The 2013 World Baseball Classic will be comprised of 28 teams, including 7 from Europe.

Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, Cuba, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, Spain, France, Great Britain, Germany, Israel, Italy,
Japan, Korea (guessing South Korea), Mexico, Nicaragua, Netherlands, New Zealand, Panama, Philippines, Puerto Rico (even though it is part of the US), Republic of South Africa, Thailand, Chinese Taipei, USA, Venezuela.

While it isn't an extensive list, the planet is fairly well represented. If I heard or read correctly, there are 12 countries that participate in Olympic rhythmic gymnastics or "twirling".
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

First the 10,000m Gold, now the 5,000m double...Mo's the Man!!!!!! :bow:

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Great race.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

David Boudia wins gold in 10m diving for the US! Unbelievable diving!

Qiu Bo wins the silver in a disappointment for him, but Thomas Daley from Great Britain gets the bronze!

Great olympics for USA diving. No medals for the last two, and 4 this time around.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

River wrote:I think the issue with baseball (and softball, which was also dropped) was that one nation was consistently dominating. When that happens, the IOC drops the axe.
Back in the 90s when I used to follow follow basketball, the US team's total dominance in the Olympics was laughable. I assume it's still the case though I haven't followed it in ages.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

This team might be better than the "Dream team."

You can't take a sport out of the olympics because one country dominates. Thats extremely disrespectful to ALL the athletes in that sport.
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

halplm wrote:This team might be better than the "Dream team."

You can't take a sport out of the olympics because one country dominates. Thats extremely disrespectful to ALL the athletes in that sport.
While I have to agree strongly with your rationale on this, I also agree equally strongly with Alatar's friend's rationale for why basketball, golf, baseball, and similar sports have no place in the Olympics: "About Golf, an avid golfing friend of mine believes it shouldn't be in the Olympics. His rationale is this. If there is a bigger prize to be won in the sport outside the Olympics, then it shouldn't be there." IMO, the Olympics are for sports in which they are The Main Event, the thing people spend their lives striving for ... not for sports in which they are an afterthought, and "making it" in the sport is differently defined.
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

IMO, the Olympics are for sports in which they are The Main Event, the thing people spend their lives striving for ... not for sports in which they are an afterthought, and "making it" in the sport is differently defined.
This.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Professional tennis players didn't think they should play in the olympics when they were first allowed.

You better believe they want to play there now.

I don't think the olympics is an afterthought to anyone who participates.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

So, tonight's coverage for NBC on the olympics,,, a documentary on the British during WWII.

I think the British were great in WWII,,, and I think the olympics in London have been great,,, but the two do not in ANY way go together.

McKayla Maroney is not impressed.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

So remember a few days ago when McKayla Maroney landed on her bum and settled for silver? Remember her face at the medal ceremony? I don't begrudge her that; she was disappointed in herself and it showed. But she's sparked a whole new internet meme: McKayla Maroney is not impressed. Some of them are pretty funny.

I'd feel sorry for her, but apparently she's maintaining a sense of humor about it - she put up a pic of herself an some teammates being unimpressed that the pool is closed.

Edit: x-posted with hal. :rofl:
Last edited by River on Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

lol, beat you to it ;)
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Ack. McKayla and Aly have been promising their Twitter followers a swimming showdown for days. I have been very much looking forward to it...a prefect melding of my two favorite sports. Color me also not impressed that the pool was closed.
I won't just survive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform

But still I rise
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Ok, my favorite moments of these games, which seem to have been very long, but so much fun.

-USA Men's archery team winning silver on day 1.
-McKayla Maroney's perfect vault in the team final. It deserved a higher score.
-Michael Phelps winning his final race, the 4x100 medley relay.
-USA Women's Fencing winning bronze, and celebrating with the famous "Do you believe in miracles" quote when they beat Russia.
-Kim Rhode winning gold hitting 99/100 targets.
-Training partners Mo Farah and Galen Rupp going 1-2 in the 10K meters on the opening night of track and field.
-USA women's swimming in general: World Records: Dana Vollmer, Rebecca Soni, Missy Franklin... and sadly, Allison Schmitt had to settle for an olympic record, although the four of them came together for a medley world record as well.
-Katie Ledecky's win in the 800m freestyle.
-Andy Murray winning gold for GB in men's single's Tennis.
-David Boudia winning gold for the USA in the 10m diving competition. He was near perfect.

And my top three, although there were so many more I could go on a long time:
-Carmelita Jeter's reaction as she crossed the finish line with a new WR in the 4x100m relay. She was as shocked as anyone :).
-Aly Raisman winning gold by a substantial margin in the Floor Exercise. She earned it, and I still say she should get a bronze for the all-around too.
-USA women's soccer won gold, but the unforgettable game was their 4-3 victory in the semifinal on a goal in the 123rd minute.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but I'll leave it at that for now. It's been fun hanging out with you all here for the last couple of weeks. Now maybe I can sleep normal again ;).
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Well, I literally watched only my two sports, swimming and women's gymnastics; while unfortunate, I STILL have several swimming finals and semis to watch. I just don't have the bandwidth to check out all the other sports that sound cool, though maybe I'll take advantage of NBC's "highlights" feature online to check out a few of the absolute top moments from other sports. I agree with all of your swimming and gymnastics highlights and would add:

- Sun Yang winning the men's 1500M free for China while breaking his own world record substantially. Absolutely a tremendous performance, and his emotion at the end was breathtaking.
- Chad le Clos of South Africa beating his idol Michael Phelps to win the 200FL, then the touching exchange between the two of them when Chad revealed almost tearfully that Michael was his role-model and that he had even selected his training program based on the events Michael swam.
- The US swim team performing "Call Me Maybe"...because this team was as awesome out of the water as in it. :D
- Ryan Lochte getting trounced by two of his teammates twice in the same night, Michael Phelps in the 200 IM and Tyler Clary in the 200 BA.
- Also re: the above, Tyler Clary finally getting his golden moment after so often being shadowed by Michael and Ryan
- Nathan Adrian taking the 100M free by 0.01 of a second
- Ruta Meilutyte of Lithuania's breathtaking defeat of Rebecca Soni in the finals of the women's 100M BR. Meilutyte is a 15 year old who came from nowhere and seemingly disappeared without much of a splash; she didn't even come to the post-race press conference. (Even articles about her don't seem to have managed a quote from her, such as here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/ju ... sfeed=true) Truly a jaw-dropping swim and a "whoa, what just happened" moment.
- Breeja Larson of the US coming in sixth in the 100 BR finals. Yeah, I know that finishing out of the medals isn't usually a highlight. But you have to stop and take in how cool this is: Larson had never swum competitively until three years ago. She fell into the sport almost by accident when she was 17 ... and three years later, she took her event by storm at the Olympic Trials, upsetting several favorites (including Amanda Beard and Jessica Hardy) to qualify first for the Games, ahead of Rebecca Soni. She is also now a gold medalist, having received a relay gold by virtue of having swum the 4x100 medley relay prelims. Not that shabby, for having put as many years into the sport as most 11-13 year olds have. :) Very cool. Between Breeja and Ruta, the women's 100BR stood out this year as a race in which cool and very unexpected things can happen (well, "cool" unless you are one of the expected favorites, I suppose).

In gymnastics, I'd only add the obvious: the US women's landslide victory (that image of them holding hands and looking up at the scoreboard after the finals, deferring all celebration until things became official, will stay with me), and Gabby Douglas' all-around gold medal win.
Last edited by nerdanel on Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
I won't just survive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform

But still I rise
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I haven't participated much in this discussion, but I've truly enjoyed reading everyone's comments almost as much as I've enjoyed immersing myself in the Games.

Thank you.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup