Michael Martinez's Interviews with Tolkien Scholars

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Michael Martinez

Post by Michael Martinez »

Thank you. I wish I could do more now but I recently found myself having to start a new business (full-time) with little advance warning. I need to focus on my clients for a while.

I'll check in here from time to time.
Snowdog

Re: Michael Martinez's Interviews with Tolkien Scholars

Post by Snowdog »

I missed this the first time around. I think I was on Shadows of Arnor writing RP and fanfic with my wife. Good interviews! Hoping you're doing well Michael.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
TolkienJRR

Post by TolkienJRR »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:58 am Several weeks ago, the well-known Tolkienist Michael Martinez (hi Michael!) started a new Interview with Tolkien Scholars series. The first interview, on October 14, 2011, was with Janet Brennan Croft, the editor of Mythlore and the author of War and the Works of J.R.R. Tolkien , winner of the Mythopoeic Society Award for Inklings Studies in 2004. The following week was with John Rateliff, author of the The History of the Hobbit (the 2010 winner), the week after that was Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull, author of two many Inklings Studies award winning books to mention. Two weeks ago, he interviewed Michael Drout, author J.R.R. Tolkien’s Beowulf and the Critics (the 2003 winner. Last week he had a delay and wasn't able to get an interview posted (he said he had John Garth in the queue, but that his schedule was tight; that's an interview I look forward to!) so he posted some fasninating videos of interviews with Christopher Tolkien. All of the interviews are well-worth checking out; I found them all very informative. Michael definitely has a gift of asking questions that bring out lots of good information.

http://middle-earth.xenite.org/category/interviews/
Great stuff, thanks for sharing. :horse:
“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
-J.R.R Tolkien
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm glad you both enjoyed the interviews. I continue to be surprised and flattered to be included in such high company.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."