The LotR Trivia Boardgame thread

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Ethelwynn

Post by Ethelwynn »

Mice! I'm a little miffed, but not bad enough to say "Rats!" yet. I'll get it next time around, if the game goes that long.
Bite off more than you can chew. Then, chew it. Ask for seconds.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Ok, back to Voronwë!

In which peak of the Misty Mountains was Durin's Tower?

Code: Select all

Players:

Elen (Moderate)
  Voronwë (Expert)
  Inanna (Moderate)
* Holbytla (Expert)
  CosmicBob (Moderate)
  Ethelwynn (Moderate)

Retired:
Wampus (Moderate)
Samaranth (Moderate)

|---------+------+------------+-----------------+-----------+-------+------------+
| Bag End | Bree | Weathertop | Ford of Bruinen | Rivendell | Moria | Lothlórien |
|---------+------+------------+-----------------+-----------+-------+------------+
|         |      |            |                 |           |       |            |
|         |      |            |                 |           |       |            |

|------------+----------+-----------+----------+--------------+-----------+------------|
| The Anduin | Amon Hen | Emyn Muil | Ithilien | Cirith Ungol | Gorgoroth | Mount Doom |
|------------+----------+-----------+----------+--------------+-----------+------------|
|            |          |           |          |    H & CB    | V,I & Eth |   Elen     |
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Do you want the name in English, Khuzdul or Sindarin? In order, they are Silvertine, Zirak-zigal, and Celebdil, I believe.

Or maybe not.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

WOW. :)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Correct! (The answer they were looking for was Celebdil)

Inanna, to tie with Voronwë for 2nd place:

From what were Treebeard's pillows made?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Do you want the name in English, Khuzdul or Sindarin? In order, they are Silvertine, Zirak-zigal, and Celebdil, I believe.
Showoff. :P
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Ethelwynn

Post by Ethelwynn »

That's why he's Voronwë and we're not.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

I'm ESPECIALLY not Voronwë. I was feeling proud of myself for recognizing the name "Durin." Farther than that, my mind could not possibly go.
Voronwë the Faithful

Ethelwynn wrote:That's why he's Voronwë and we're not.
But Elen is the winner. I'm just the first runner-up.

Or maybe Miss Congeniality. 8)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

You'll always be Miss Congeniality to me, Voronwë. :hug:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Well done, V! I'd have got Zirak-Zigil, but knowing all three forms is impressive... :thumbsup:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I have no clue. None at all.

Branches, Moss? Moss might be wet, but will be softer than branches.

Dried Moss (thats my answer) :P
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

Elentári wrote:Well done, V! I'd have got Zirak-Zigil, but knowing all three forms is impressive... :thumbsup:
If you had been given the question and answered Zirak-Zigil, I would have strongly argued that you were entitled to win. That is really the right answer. But since I had had another in which I gave the name of something in a different language than the one that they were looking for, I figured I'd better give all three forms, just in case. That is, IMO, a weakness of the game, at least in "expert mode".

The irony is that geography generally isn't my strong suit, but that is one that has stuck with me for some reason.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I agree, asthat question certainly wasn't specific enough. in fact, I would suggest that if we decide to play another game of this, we all play as either moderates - preferably! - or experts, so that there is a level playing field. The questionmaster could still select the questions in terms of difficulty...or perhaps we could all start with easier ones, and they get harder as we pass certain stages?
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Sorry, Innana, it was grass.

Holby: How did the scouts identify a body as Hirgon, errand -rider of Gondor?

Code: Select all

Players:

Elen (Moderate)
  Voronwë (Expert)
  Inanna (Moderate)
* Holbytla (Expert)
  CosmicBob (Moderate)
  Ethelwynn (Moderate)

1st: Elentári
2nd: Voronwë

Retired:
Wampus (Moderate)
Samaranth (Moderate)

| Bag End | Bree | Weathertop | Ford of Bruinen | Rivendell | Moria | Lothlórien |

| The Anduin | Amon Hen | Emyn Muil | Ithilien | Cirith Ungol | Gorgoroth | Mount Doom |
|            |          |           |          |    H & CB    | I & Eth   |            |
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Grass! :bawling:

Oh, I know Holby's one.... aargh.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

He still grasped the red arrow? And yeah I will go again if I can.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Oh you weren't at Gorgoroth. *takes back the "aargh"*
Ethelwynn

Post by Ethelwynn »

Gosh, things got quiet.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Correct! Ok Holby, to tie for 2nd:

What colour was Théoden's Shield?