Fishes of Middle-Earth

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Elentári

Fishes of Middle-Earth

Post by Elentári »

http://sites.google.com/a/fieldmuseum.org/pwillink/

Philip W. Willink of the Field Museum of Natural History, Chicago, has produced a field guide to species of fish in Middle-Earth:

Combining my interests in fishes and fantasy, I wrote Fishes of Middle-Earth: A Field Guide to What Species Would Be There as well as Those Seen in the Books and Movies. This text makes the assumption that Middle-Earth is a forerunner of modern day Europe and Western Asia. Based on the present day distribution of fishes, I predict what species would be present and where one would find them in Middle-Earth during the Third Age. I also comment about the fishes seen in the recent Lord of the Rings movies. (In short, the fishes in the movies appear to have been inspired by New Zealand fishes. However, none are actually native to New Zealand, rather they were introduced from the United States. Regardless, none would have been present in Middle-Earth based on present day fish distributions and current biogeographic theories. Then again, it is fantasy.)
Fishes of Middle Earth 2008 Willink.pdf is available as an attachment at the end of Philip's webpage above.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Ophelia

Post by Ophelia »

Is date of posting significant? ;)
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

No, seriously, it's not an April Fool as far as I can make out - the link is to a bona fide website and the attachment is still there today!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Alas, no mention of a "juicy-sweet" fish, which I would dearly love to taste.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Snowdog

Re: Fishes of Middle-Earth

Post by Snowdog »

This was a pretty fun read! This looks like a good place for the Middle Earth Angling Guide!
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins