The Gallery

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Cuuuuuuuuuute! :love:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Hehe - I have both those happy hippos on my bookshelf! :D

(Surprised they are known over in the US. :) )
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

They're not, hobby! The Manweistas just stumbled over pics of them a while back and I've been enamoured of them since. :)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Ooh, I see. :)
The Happy Hippos are popular figures from Kinder surprise eggs (making them collector's items) and have come out in many different series. I'm not such a big fan of them, in general, but the StarWars series is brilliant, I think.
Still, I don't remember buying the eggs for them, I'm pretty sure they came while I was buying them for the LOTR figures. I've got three - I took a quick pic of them :D (I guess the third is supposed to be Obi Wan?):

but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

No, that's yovi wan. :D
-The Decemberists

truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

:rofl:
TheTennisBallKid
Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Post by TheTennisBallKid »

Does this fit in this thread? I guess it fits. Anyway, I wanted to share, and didn't think I could pass these off as "Daily Nature Pics".

ttbk
Glowah, eee chop glowah.
Ya glowah pee chu nee foom
Ah toot dee awe goon daa.

Glory, we found glory.
The power showed us the light,
And now we all live free.

Celebrate the light; (Freedom!)
Celebrate the might; (Power!)
Celebrate the fight; (Glory!)
Celebrate the love.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I think that fits. :)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

That's a very original idea, ttbk! :D

The first one is absolutely fantastic - quite surreal! :love:

And I like the one with the portrait of the artist, too. ;) :D

Are they taken at home? (Because I can't imagine those cards are all yours.) And how many cards are that? :shock:
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

What were you doing with those cards? Playing with your sis or arranging them for pics? ;)

Very nice... I love the perspectives. I'll remember to have my camera handy the next time we get together with friends and play
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

Samwarg sent me some of his non-LOTR drawings and a couple of paintings, and gave me permission to post them here (click on the thumbnail for larger size):

ImageImage Image Image

Image Image
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

OMG! He does color too!
:bow: :bow: :bow:

That second nude looks like a photo in the thumbnail!
-The Decemberists

Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

It's great to see your non-LOTR related artwork as well. :thumbsup:

I like especially the portrait of George Harrison, and the nude paintings are beautiful. :)
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Voronwë the Faithful

Here are some paintings by our friend Whistler that he shared with me, and gave me permission to post. I really like them alot.

samwarg

I didn't know

Post by samwarg »

I didn't know you had posted this stuff over here, Voronwë. I suppose it's just natural that a person who likes to paint and draw people would do some nudes. That was mostly what I did for many years because I love to define subtle shapes with my shading like muscles and bones. ( being honest here, I really like the female form) The problem with my doing that, so I found out, was that I couldn't show my work to just anybody. I had a good artist friend in Texas who complimented me on one of my small nude paintings, so I insisted that he take it. His wife made him give it back. I don't plan to paint any more nudes, as much as I enjoy it.
I like Whistler's work very much, but we have very different styles. My paintings take weeks or months to do and his appear to be done very quickly with little detail. That is not to say that one style is any better than the other, but they are different. Whether drawing or painting, I have always been consumed with realism and trying to make things as life-like as possible.
still trying to get it right
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

*misses Whistler*

Those are wonderful. Make sure to tell him if you can, V-man.

sam, do the pencil potraits take you weeks/months too?
-The Decemberists

truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

sam, sorry to hear you've had bad experiences with people's reactions to your nudes. I think there's nothing about them that's not fit for showing.
And, like you said, tracing the shape of the human body with drawing tools is a particular enjoyment - I think that with anything we paint, the process of painting helps us realise how amazing and beautiful it all is. :)
samwarg

pencil drawings

Post by samwarg »

No yov, most of my pencil drawings take 2 to 4 hours of actual drawing time, although I may work on them off and on for up to two weeks. Sometimes I get in the groove and a drawing will go really fast, but at other times I struggle with them. My "artist mode" is extremely fragile and can be thrown into the ditch of dispair so easily. If I get too many interuptions while drawing or painting, it destroys my concentration and I'm likely to have a regular fit. Tempormental, yes.

You posted while I was writing, Hobby. Yes, the human form, both male and female, are simply beautiful in my eyes, but there are those who're embarrassed by it. It's not a new issue either. Michaelangelo and that Pope went round and round over the same thing. I've never done a complete male figure before, but I'd sure like to. It is such a challenge (and enjoyment) for me to reproduce on canvas or paper those hands, bare feet, bones and muscles, and then have the finished product look right.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

(x-post from b77)
I've been working on this for the past few weeks. I've never really done anything like this before so I'm really happy with it. :) (Though that right eye never looked right and for the life of me I can't tell why...)

It is, as you might have guessed, a drawing of my younger niece. The series of cute niece sig pics [I've been doing this on b77] was meant to inspire me to keep working on this. It was very, very hard and frustrating and I almost quit several times. Glad I didn't. :)
-The Decemberists

samwarg

WOW!

Post by samwarg »

This is truly an outstanding drawing yov! You have got to keep drawing. I have nothing but praise for this drawing.