Letter 181 and Letter 246 Frodo, Sam, Gollum and Other Stuff

Discussion of the multitude of different ideas expressed by Tolkien in his published letters
Passdagas the Brown

Re: Letter 181 and Letter 246 Frodo, Sam, Gollum and Other S

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

In a lot of ways, I loved the mystery of not knowing what some of these references were referring to. Though of course it drove me to devour the Silm and HOME to find out exactly what!
Last edited by Passdagas the Brown on Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

In response to Jude:

For me, Galadriel's sentence "I will go West and be just Galadriel" was perplexing. What west, where? Galadriel was really the first female character that I came across in LOTR (isn't that right? She really is the first substantial female character you encounter?) and I read that section of the book with more attention than usual. And this sentence caught my attention and I remember concocting vague explanations of "the west" - it became clear later on. As an aside, when people diss LOTR for its simplicity to me, I bring up this sentence and harp on how this one sentence reflects a completely mythology.

Coming back to the point about Frodo and the meaningless point of his Quest - it never bothered me because for me *This* is what fantasy and stories are all about. The triumph of good over evil, the small guy (third son/daughter) triumphing when everyone expected them to fail. When an act of mercy becomes your salvation a 1000pages later.

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Glad to see you back PdG.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Glad to be here!