Roe v Wade has been overturned. How do you feel about that?

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Roe v Wade has been overturned. How do you feel about that?

Post by Frelga »

Google to erase more location info as abortion bans expand
Besides automatically deleting visits to abortion clinics, Google also cited counseling centers, fertility centers, addiction treatment facilities, weight loss clinics, and cosmetic surgery clinics as other destinations that will be erased from users’ location histories. Users have always had the option edit their location histories on their own, but Google will proactively do it for them as an added level of protection.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Frelga wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:17 am A lupus patient is being denied a drug that successfully manages her condition. She is not pregnant.
i received an email from my rheumatologist today that they are stopping all refills of methotrexate because it is considered an abortifacient.
What state is this?
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Cerin wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:39 pm
Frelga wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:17 am A lupus patient is being denied a drug that successfully manages her condition. She is not pregnant.
i received an email from my rheumatologist today that they are stopping all refills of methotrexate because it is considered an abortifacient.
What state is this?
Virginia. It says in the thread.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Thank you. I wasn't prepared to wade into the thread.

This woman said she heard from her rheumatologist that 'they're stopping all refills of methotrexate . . .'

I wonder if the 'they' is just her particular rheumatologist, or some larger entity.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Rolling Stone reports that a "right-wing evangelical activist was caught on tape bragging that she prayed with Supreme Court justices" and that the "Court’s majority cited a legal brief that her group filed while overturning Roe v. Wade."

Peggy Nienaber is the vice president of a group called Faith & Liberty, which is part of a larger organization called Libery Counsel that filed an amicus brief in the case that overturned Roe v. Wade two weeks ago. She was recorded last week at a celebration of the Court's decision. She was asked, "You actually pray with the Supreme Court justices?" She responded, "I do. They will pray with us, those that like us to pray with them" and when asked whether she met with the unnamed SCOTUS justices at their homes or at her office, she replied that it was neither of those: "We actually go in there," i.e., into the Court's building.

Mat Staver, the founder of Liberty Counsel, says that what Nienaber said isn't true, but Rolling Stone adds that Rob Schenk, who founded Nienaber's group under the name Faith and Action in the 1990s, says "that he hosted prayer sessions with conservative justices in their chambers from the late-1990s through when he left the group in the mid-2010s" and would pray "with Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas, and the late Antonin Scalia ... inside the high court." Schenk backed away from anti-abortion protests a few years ago after becoming "concerned that he’d weaponized worship to fuel a hate-filled agenda." He says that "too many prayers that I and my colleagues offered in the presence of the justices were political prayers" and that those efforts "contributed to the internal moral and ethical corruption of the justices at the court."
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

That's truly disturbing.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Why is that disturbing? People in government are allowed to exercise their faith.

BGlobe
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Muslim Congress members pray on the Senate floor with members of local mosque who want specific Islamic-based laws passed.

Somehow I imagine this would get a remarkably different reaction than when it's Christians doing it with members of the Supreme Court.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Cerin wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:24 pm Why is that disturbing? People in government are allowed to exercise their faith.
It is one thing for someone in government to exercise their faith. It is something else altogether for an advocate of a particular position in a case that is or could be before the Supreme Court to pray with members of the Court regarding that issue.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

THIS is what I find disturbing about it:
Schenk backed away from anti-abortion protests a few years ago after becoming "concerned that he’d weaponized worship to fuel a hate-filled agenda." He says that "too many prayers that I and my colleagues offered in the presence of the justices were political prayers" and that those efforts "contributed to the internal moral and ethical corruption of the justices at the court."
Also, the United States government has always believed in separation of church and state.
Jesus believed that too: "Render unto Caesar that which is Ceaesar's..."

The courts of the United States should not be pushing a Christian agenda, but one that represents the viewpoint of ALL citizens of the country.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Sunsilver wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:13 pm THIS is what I find disturbing about it:
Schenk backed away from anti-abortion protests a few years ago after becoming "concerned that he’d weaponized worship to fuel a hate-filled agenda." He says that "too many prayers that I and my colleagues offered in the presence of the justices were political prayers" and that those efforts "contributed to the internal moral and ethical corruption of the justices at the court."
Also, the United States government has always believed in separation of church and state.
Jesus believed that too: "Render unto Caesar that which is Ceaesar's..."

The courts of the United States should not be pushing a Christian agenda, but one that represents the viewpoint of ALL citizens of the country.
Might be a pointless distinction but I would rather say "one that upholds the rights of all citizens of the country, independent of any religious doctrine."
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

State Rep. Dan Frankel (@RepDanFrankel) wrote:

PA Rs aim to vote today to add to the state constitution: "The policy of Pennsylvania is to protect the life of every unborn child from conception to birth." This will sidestep the courts and allow the GOP majority to march in every ban and punitive measure you can imagine.
Bolding mine.

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:29 am Columbus Dispatch: "Ohio girl, 10, travels to Indiana to get an abortion because Ohio bans abortion at 6 weeks and she’s 6 weeks & 3 days pregnant."

That's right. They're trying to force 10-year-old girls to give birth.
Washington Post fact-checker Glenn Kessler notes that this now widely-shared story (repeated even by President Biden) is thinly sourced. Kessler tried to follow up on it but nobody will talk to him. That doesn't mean the story is false. The forced-birth "side" has the advantage in situations like this because they oppose the right to privacy and would happily have this girl's identity shared widely.

The fact of the matter is that multiple Republican politicians in the wake of this story have said that yes, they would force a 10-year-old to give birth.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I would think a story such as this would be hard to verify. The medical record of minors is not easily made public and any responsible health professional or parent is not going to give out names for interviews, not to mention the girl has obviously been abused/there is a criminal element to such cases. More likely than not a family member/incest.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

In Michigan, abortion rights activists have submitted signatures to put an initiative on the November ballot to amend the state constitution to protect reproductive rights and block a 1931 state abortion ban that had previously been overturned by Roe v. Wade -- the initiative requires 425,000 signatures; the activists have submitted 750,000 signatures, so it's likely that Michigan voters will get to vote on this in a few months.

This was only possible because Michigan's initiative deadline hadn't passed and the activists started collecting signatures months before the recent SCOTUS decision.
elengil

Post by elengil »

It's not enough, but it's something at least:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/11/roe-v-w ... e-law.html
Physicians must provide abortions in medical emergencies under federal law and will face penalties if they decline to offer the procedure in these cases, Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra wrote in a letter to health care providers on Monday.

Becerra said federal law pre-empts state abortion bans in cases where women face medical emergencies associated with pregnancy under the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act. If an abortion is necessary to treat a woman facing a medical emergency, physicians must offer the procedure, the health secretary wrote.
was a 2020 planner.

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Here's the lede from an article in the Times-Picayune, a Louisiana newspaper:
In the days following the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, a Louisiana doctor prescribed a medication called Cytotec to make the insertion of an IUD, the most effective form of birth control, less painful.

The medication has several uses and is often prescribed for stomach ulcers. It’s also the brand name for misoprostol, the second part of a two-drug cocktail used to terminate a pregnancy.

Walgreens called the physician, Dr. Alexandra Weiss Band, to ask if the prescription was for an abortion, according to an affidavit filed July 5 in a New Orleans Civil District Court case challenging Louisiana’s trigger law. When she told them it was for an IUD insertion, the pharmacist refused to give out the medication anyway.
Republicans need to stop attacking women's health.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:21 pm
N.E. Brigand wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:29 am Columbus Dispatch: "Ohio girl, 10, travels to Indiana to get an abortion because Ohio bans abortion at 6 weeks and she’s 6 weeks & 3 days pregnant."

That's right. They're trying to force 10-year-old girls to give birth.
Washington Post fact-checker Glenn Kessler notes that this now widely-shared story (repeated even by President Biden) is thinly sourced. Kessler tried to follow up on it but nobody will talk to him. That doesn't mean the story is false. The forced-birth "side" has the advantage in situations like this because they oppose the right to privacy and would happily have this girl's identity shared widely.

The fact of the matter is that multiple Republican politicians in the wake of this story have said that yes, they would force a 10-year-old to give birth.
Ahem, from a Columbus Dispatch reporter today:

The Washington Post has updated its fact-check article accordingly.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

From the linked article.
A Columbus man has been charged with impregnating a 10-year-old Ohio girl, whose travel to Indiana to seek an abortion led to international attention following the Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v Wade and activation of Ohio's abortion law.

Gershon Fuentes, 27, whose last known address was an apartment on Columbus' Northwest Side, was arrested Tuesday after police say he confessed to raping the child on at least two occasions.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

From CDC statistics
Many children wait to report or never report child sexual abuse. Therefore, the numbers below likely underestimate the true impact of the problem. Although estimates vary across studies, the research shows:

About 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 13 boys in the United States experience child sexual abuse.

Someone known and trusted by the child or child’s family members, perpetrates 91% of child sexual abuse.
Abuse is a far bigger problem than many realize. It's terribly upsetting to hear people claim that women (and girls) can't get pregnant from abuse or rape.
My heart is forever in the Shire.