Roe v Wade has been overturned. How do you feel about that?

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
N.E. Brigand

Re: Roe v Wade has been overturned. How do you feel about that?

Post by N.E. Brigand »

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ska-police

Has this been shared yet?
...Facebook handed the user data of a mother and daughter facing criminal charges for allegedly carrying out an illegal abortion. Private messages between the two discussing how to obtain abortion pills were given to police by Facebook,...
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

No, but it doesn't surprise me. :(

I've been hearing more about women - women who are not even pregnant - being refused treatment for lupus, rheumatoid or psoriatic arthritis, heart conditions, Crohn's disease, colitis, cancer, and other medical conditions like organ transplants, because doctors &/or pharmacists are afraid to treat them and be held liable for harm to potential pregnancies.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Yeah.

:nono:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

A legal reporter at Slate writes: "Florida appeals court affirms an order prohibiting a parentless 16-year-old from terminating her pregnancy on the grounds that she has not proved she is mature enough to get an abortion. So the state will force her to have a child instead." The appeals court's decision is here.

Forced birth, like sex trafficking, is slavery.

In the "Biden's America" thread, I just noted how the FBI has freed hundreds of victims, including children, from sex traffickers in the past two weeks.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Consequences.

"She's gonna pass that fetus in the toilet. She's going to have to deal with this on her own. There's a greater than 50% chance that she's going to lose her uterus. There's a 10% chance that she's gong to develop sepsis and herself die."

As I keep saying, forced birth is slavery.

It's also assault and attempted murder.

Samuel Alito should go to jail for what he's done.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Yup. They should charge them with murder. 'Cause that's what it is. Not to mention the women who will not get all kinds of care, medical services, and medication. The suffering is incredible. But some want to go even further with the 'personhood' laws making a fertilized egg have all of the same rights as a fully grown person. As a woman who has had miscarriages (through no fault of my own.. miscarriages are incredibly COMMON) I cannot help but wonder if I or women like me would have been/will be charged with murder or been suspected of doing something to cause harm...taking a tylenol or riding a bike. It's a nightmare.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:33 pm In Michigan, abortion rights activists have submitted signatures to put an initiative on the November ballot to amend the state constitution to protect reproductive rights and block a 1931 state abortion ban that had previously been overturned by Roe v. Wade -- the initiative requires 425,000 signatures; the activists have submitted 750,000 signatures, so it's likely that Michigan voters will get to vote on this in a few months.

This was only possible because Michigan's initiative deadline hadn't passed and the activists started collecting signatures months before the recent SCOTUS decision.
Despite activists in Michigan having submitted an overwhelming number of valid signatures to put a pro-choice amendment on this year's ballot -- as confirmed by the Michigan Bureau of Elections -- the state's Board of Canvassers, which has two Republicans and two Democrats and needs three votes to approve such measures, blocked the measure by a 2-2 vote from appearing on this year's ballot. The decision will be appealed to Michigan Supreme Court, a narrow majority of whose members were appointed by Democrats, and thus Michiganders probably will get the chance to vote on this issue after all, but it's shocking that it needs to come to that. A blatant disregard for the democratic process.

Forced birth is slavery. The truth will march on.

(Edited to correct a stupid slip of the fingers in the second last sentence. Nothing like being ten minutes into a four-hour window of time when you won't have internet access and suddenly realizing you made a big mistake.)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

So not actually about state rights.

Lindsey Graham introduces bill which would ban abortions after 20 weeks

Granted, he's likely to fail, as he's been doing for years because it was never about the state rights.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

And from the point of view of politics, the Democrats say:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Funny that he would continue evoking Iran and not, say.. Australia, Canada, most of Europe and Asia, etc..
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I couldn't hear what the woman was saying about her baby. :(
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I couldn't hear her either Suny, so don't feel bad.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I think this will just further stir up women to vote against the Republicans. Hope so, anyway! I only saw ONE post on that Twitter thread that supported him!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I know a lot of people on the other side of the aisle. I just don't think the government should be meddling in medical issues.
Sen. Graham states that they (the fetuses') feel pain, well so do children who are mowed down by gunfire in school or at church. They feel pain when they are hungry or homeless. I could go on. If they were so concerned about being 'pro-life' there would be more evidence of it across the board. Instead, this is more punitive/punishment/judgement against women.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Yesterday U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham, Republican of South Carolina, who has previously said that abortion laws should be made at the state rather than the federal level, introduced a bill that would ban abortions nationally at 15 weeks. (But that's already been well documented here.)

Fox News has largely ignored Graham's bill, which is telling. More explicitly, right-wing pundit Charlie Kirk, after making it clear that he is "100% pro-life," says that Graham is engaging in "election interference" to help Democrats by putting the Republican position squarely in public view.
Last edited by N.E. Brigand on Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful

N.E. Brigand wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:11 pm Yesterday U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham, Republican of South Carolina, who has previously said that abortion laws should be made at the state rather than the federal level, introduced a bill that would ban abortions nationally at 15 weeks.
The previous six posts in this thread were all on this subject.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:20 pm
N.E. Brigand wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:11 pm Yesterday U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham, Republican of South Carolina, who has previously said that abortion laws should be made at the state rather than the federal level, introduced a bill that would ban abortions nationally at 15 weeks.
The previous six posts in this thread were all on this subject.
Sorry about that. Things have been very busy at work the past few weeks (since just before Labor Day weekend, when I worked about 55 hours in four days -- and while that may be a slow week for some folks, it feels like a lot to me) and I haven't kept up. I looked at the Lasto forum, saw that there were nine threads on top of this one, and didn't look at the timestamps, so I didn't realize that meant that the forum had been very active lately (and not that this thread hadn't been updated lately). I have edited my post.

That said, I think the second half of my post is newsy enough to merit posting.