Mo Ghile Mear

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Mo Ghile Mear

Post by Alatar »

A friend sent this on to me. Its The Chieftains, with Sting on vocal, doing an Irish piece called "Mo Ghile Mear" of "My Gallant Darling". Its set to footage from the new Robin Hood, which I'm not a fan of, but I thought some people might like to hear it. Sting does a good job actually. He doesn't really overdo the "oirish" singing style too much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp8WwtsCgwY
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

True, that is a great performance. :thumbsup:

Actually, the whole album The Long Black Veil that the Chieftains did in collaboration with various rock artists is great. 8)
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
samwarg

great music

Post by samwarg »

That is a beautiful piece of music and that raven-haired actress is beautiful too. The chorus reminds me of some south pacific singing I've heard. Also, the song very much has the feel of many old American hymns, which of course got their sound from across the sea.
still trying to get it right
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

[ot]Sam, it's good to see you around here.[/ot]
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

I love the Chieftains! And their collaborations with artists from other cultures and other styles of music has created an incredible cross-cultural body of work. I like The Long Black Veil, but my personal favorite is Tears of Stone, which was done with various female musicians from several different genres.

As you can probably guess, I’m also a bit partial to their Bluegrass collaborations Down the Old Plank Road and Further Down the Old Plank Road. :) Great stuff!
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I didn't bother listening... I have it on my 'pod. ;)

It's lovely. As is everything on the "Wide World Over" CD. (Except some stuff, with Sinéad Ó Conner...)
Why is the duck billed platypus?