January: Beauty is in the Ai! of the Beholder

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

Jnyusa wrote:Ethel, I saw your suggestion after people had started voting on the first two options, so I'm not sure if I should add another option at this point. But "Beauty" is winning so far, and I think that Sass is right that this leaves plenty of scope for your suggestion as well.
Agreed. Just didn't want to be only eye searingly bad Tolkien art, much as I love it! :D For instance, I once happened on a Pre-Raphaelite painting of some Italian lording that was a dead ringer for Elijah Wood as Frodo. I'd like to include that type of thing as well.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

I can hardly wait!

:drool:

:scarey:

:D

:clap:

(for sure you won't be the only one submitting original artwork)

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

From today's Sunday comics:

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

:rofl:

Yayyy! Cartooons!

Jn
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I was about to vote for cheesecake of Noldor, as long as it can be interpreted to include the beefcake of the Edain as well.
=:)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Naturally. :D

Jn
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I wanted to mention for Hobby that "cheesecake" is an old, old word and was generally used to apply to harmless "pretty girl" photos—there was nothing particularly sexual about it, just that you were intended to notice how pretty the girls were.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Three people have stated in the thread that they were voting for "Cheesecake of the Noldor" but they haven't cast votes in the poll.

The poll will close tomorrow, at which point I'll split the thread. Do you guys want to cast an official vote, or shall I just keep that tally in the thread?

Let me put that differently ... I've got the tally here in the thread, so if you voted in the thread and are also going to click on the poll, let me know. :)

Jn
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I sorta changed my mind, now it comes down to it.

Voted the other way.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I'll be the lonely vote then, just to make sure we are not unanimous. =:)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

Rebel!

:D

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

"Too many Fingolfins, not enough Sams."

Yes.
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Thanks for the explanation on "cheesecake", Primmy! :)

Just peeked in here to see where we stand, because, looking for something to put in my sig, I just found some perfectly horrid Tolkien illustrations! :D
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

I think we can call this a done deal! The poll's been up for three days and it looks like the Ai! has it.

I'll split the thread now.

Jn

Okaaaaay! All creative endeavors that shall be eligible for nefarious prizes are:

• any copied artwork posted here (please include credits)
• artwork tweaked by the imagination of the poster
• artwork so tweaked by the poster that it's practically original
• original artwork
• all kinds of artwork - illustrations, photos, cartoons, muli-media
• stories, poems, captions based on the artwork shown here
• humor, beauty, poignancy, imagination, oddness, ga-ga

There are no rules for the prizes. We will swoop in and bestow poetically just prizes whenever the mood grabs us. Anyone can bestow a prize on anyone else. Be afraid of the prizes. Be very afraid. :twisted:

This monthly theme thread will officially end on 21 January (30 Narvinyë) or on January 31 (10 Nénimë) or on 30 Nénimë (20 February), whichever falls closest to the loss of momentum.

Jn

*Thanks again to Snowdog for the calendar.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Aha. I just happened to pop in here and found my name being taken in vain! :D So that's what this cleverly named thread is about. I really should pay more attention...............

Listen, that Rowena woman is PERFECT for illustrating the adventures of Captain Abercrombie whats-it and Venus whose-last-name-escapes-me! I remember Ethel posting these at B77 or TOB and I remember my eyes bleeding for about a week. I had put them out of my mind but there they are, back again. I like them much better than the Hildebrandt brothers, their pictures were just ugly IMHO. Ms. Rowena M. is a sorta Vargas-type artist, ain't she? I always really liked Vargas. :)

Has the Muse awakened? Has the Giant Bat reached its Lair with the helpless Holstein-Friesian clutched in its Horrid Talons? Can I be stopped now, please? =:)

No? Well, here is a taste:

"A giant bat had swooped down over the cowpens and seized a Holstein-Friesian in its ghastly talons! The cow mooed in terror, and the bat uttered a piercing cry of triumph! High into the sky it zoomed, quick as an F-5 fighter jet, the kind Tom Cruise jockeyed in that movie “Top Gun”, only of course the bat didn’t make that loud roaring noise, nor could it break the sound barrier, which is lucky because if it could, the night would have been rent by the thunderous blast, instead of being rent only by the piercing cry of triumph uttered by the bat and the moo of terror that poured forth from the poor, fear-filled Holstein-Friesian, her black and white quadruped form dangling from the giant bat’s claws as it soared into the dark western sky."

*sigh* Man, that is GREAT literature, isn't it?
Last edited by vison on Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Please, vison! Don't! Stop!

Please! Don't! Stop!

Please don't stop. . . .
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

I've been holding a button between my knees, awaiting the return of the giant bat, ever since the Lutefisk Festival!!

(I can see this thread is going to turn into one of those insider threads. :rage: One moment, fair posters, and a link will be provided to the Lutefisk Festival, at which vison unveiled the first installment of her ripping yarn ... )

A restful forest will now appear on your screen while Muzak plays softly in the background

Now back to our regularly scheduled drama

The Ripping Yarn

Chapter the First
Chapter the Second
Chapter the Third
Chapter the Fourth
Chapter the Fifth
Chapter the Sixth

Or begin with the first linky and just keep on a’scrollin’ ...

Jn
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

*sigh* Man, that is GREAT literature, isn't it?
It's side-splitting! :D
(And definitely more skillful than some stuff that does pose as great literature! ;) :D )
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

A couple of days ago I found some Tolkien illustrations which I thought were, um, fitting for this thread.
(Actually, there were quite a few good ones, too. :) )

I'm a bit unsure if I should post them all at once, or give the spectator some time to recover in between.

Here's the first:

I'm not actually sure who and what that is supposed to be, but from the orcish creature I guess it's meant to be Tolkien. (And from the fact that it came from a gallery of Tolkien art. ;) )
I don't know the artist's name, there was a whole series of these pics all with "angus" in the file name, but that's all there was.
So, I guess, the tasks are:
1) name the artist!
2) find out what is depicted!
3) tell the real story!

:P :D

(Btw, is the pic too small? It is a nice size on my screen, but that might mean it's small to others.)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

The pic size is fine, Hobby.

More views of flaming thews! :rotfl:

Jn
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Yeah, looks like Conan the Barbarian, doesn't he? :D

Any idea on what is depicted here?

Note also that we seem to be in Stonehenge! :shock:

I'm really not so sure it's Tolkien, but in the url it said pictures/fantasy/Tolkien.