Serenity and Firefly

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Lacemaker

Post by Lacemaker »

Husband rented Serenity a few weeks ago, and we LOVED it! We dont have cable or satellite, so Firefly is not available to us for the moment, but we will have to look for the DVDs for sure. Thank you for the recommendation!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Lacemaker—

Wait. First, :hug: it's always a delight to see you!

Second, boy, are you in for a treat! The series really is as good as the film. I hope you can track down the DVDs!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Prim ( :hug: )I actually think the series were better than the movie, which seemed somewhat more conventional - relatively speaking, of course.

Wilma, yes, StarTrek women with their perfect hair :roll:. Although Janeway was kewl. :)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

On reflection, I think you're right, Frelga. The series is better than the film.

It's more cuddly. :D

Except, I take it back—there are some pretty hard-edged series episodes. Maybe it's better because it has a wider range.

I don't know. I wish the whole thing were longer, and I'll cheer if there are ever more episodes, but at this point I'm just glad it exists as it is (and that there are DVD players so we can enjoy it at will).
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
ateelah

Post by ateelah »

Frelga wrote: It's just that the cancellation is inexplicable to me, given the quality of the series.
I felt that way at the time they cancelled the show. It was one of the few series we watched as a family. The only other series' we all sit and watch together are "Nero Wolfe" in reruns and, more recently, "Bones". I always liked the fact that "Firefly" was intelligently written and well-acted. It didn't dumb-down the language or use gratuitous violence to attract a broader audience. I blame the network, more than anything, for its failure. It kept getting pre-empted and shifted around so it never really had a chance.
TheWagner

Post by TheWagner »

ateelah wrote:
Frelga wrote: It's just that the cancellation is inexplicable to me, given the quality of the series.
I felt that way at the time they cancelled the show..... It kept getting pre-empted and shifted around so it never really had a chance.
There is your answer! Firefly never got very good ratings, and it was not a cheap show to make. It might have done better on WB (although the budget and thus production quality would have been lower) as they do not require such high ratings.

In an ideal world, this and Futurama are still in production!

Wudda, cudda, shudda.......
Shown the gun? Then shoot it! But remember that one shot has many effects.....
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Futurama is coming back.

I'm not sure where, but they've signed the voice talent.

I like that there's room in the marketplace for second chances now—that films or shows that appear to sink without a trace can find a new life there, compelling enough that, in the case of Firefly, a feature film was made. And in the case of Farscape, a miniseries that finally brought the story to a satisfying close was made. (Thanks, Wilma! :D ) We geeks have found our economic lever, I think.
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

TheWagner wrote:
ateelah wrote:
Wudda, cudda, shudda.......
That was the title for an episode of Farscape :D

Prim, thanks for the thank you. :D

Edit, to fix quote.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Just thought I'd mention for any browncoats here that we are having a Folks of Firefly pageant over at TOB. It's like MOME, but co-ed and more relaxed - we abandoned a schedule. ;) Of Serenity crew Book is still available to sponsor. Come over when you can.

Vornowe reminded me, with his Badger link - Badger is filling in as MC.

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

http://helpnathanbuyfirefly.com/

http://www.facebook.com/HelpNathanBuyFF
Help Nathan Buy Firefly
On Feb 17, 2011, in an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Nathan Fillion said: “If I got $300 million from the California Lottery, the first thing I would do is buy the rights to Firefly, make it on my own, and distribute it on the Internet.”

The Plan:

Phase 1) Generate momentum. We’re going to setup a way people can pledge funding towards the mission of putting the rights to Firefly back into the hands of people who care about it. Since Nathan said he’d be game to be those hands, we’re going to watch for …

Phase 2) Nathan chimes in towards us and approves the effort. At that point, it’s a real mission and we’ll switch into…

Phase 3) We’ll setup a way for the funding to be collected into a Non-Profit Organization. We’ll then want everyone to make good on their pledge and contribute.

Throughout all of this, we’ll have up the running tally of pledges and actuals.

How Can You Help?

Like and Share our Facebook page. We’ll get a Twitter setup today as well. Tweet about this page via #HNBF #Firefly! Here’s a short URL for that purpose: http://dft.ba/-firefly
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: Serenity and Firefly

Post by elengil »

The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yeah, a Disneyfied Firefly is... Why?

narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Unsettling at best.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I disapprove already.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I will wait and see before jumping to a snap judgement. I really, really don't trust the internet on genre news. They always have an agenda.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
elengil

Post by elengil »

Alatar wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:40 pm I will wait and see before jumping to a snap judgement. I really, really don't trust the internet on genre news. They always have an agenda.
While I generally try to take the 'wait and see' - and in this case it's not even a matter of whether or not Disney is going to be able to 'do it right' or anything like that...

Either they are going to have to recast the actors (nope) or they are going to have to recast the 'characters' and go with a different group in the same universe (eehhnnnnnnmaybe), but if Whedon is not part of the show (no argument) the fact remains it will be a very, very different show.

So while it may be a fantastic reboot, I am going to nope out of it because it just won't be Firefly anymore :(
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

But that's like not watching The Mandalorian, cause it doesn't have Han Solo. I would be hoping for something like the Star Wars or MCU, where instead of a reboot, its more stories in the same universe. But I'll wait and see.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Well, I don't like Han Solo nearly as much as I like Mal Reynolds. (And I haven't seen Mandalorian, although that's simply through not watching a lot of TV, period, not as any kind of statement.) Or at least, I don't like the original series Han Solo. He matured well by the time of Force Awakens.

But the philosophy of Firefly - a ragtag, subversive group that operates outside the power structure while not aiming to replace it with themselves in charge, flawed characters who nevertheless make sacrifices to do the right thing - I strongly doubt that Disney will preserve that.

elengil

Post by elengil »

Alatar wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:51 pm But that's like not watching The Mandalorian, cause it doesn't have Han Solo. I would be hoping for something like the Star Wars or MCU, where instead of a reboot, its more stories in the same universe. But I'll wait and see.
I mean... I haven't watched the Mandalorian so... >.>

Not for that reason, but still.

I did say maybe to the different cast of characters.
was a 2020 planner.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Isn't it depressing that someone as flawed as Joss Whedon created such great TV. :(