Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell and Piranesi

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell

Post by Inanna »

Yes, that’s the one. I’ll let you know.

Reviews left me a bit cold. some were “if you loved Circe”... which I was unable to finish. But eh, it’s Clarke.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I assume you are referring to The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories. I'll be curious to hear what you think of it. I honestly didn't like it nearly as much as JS&MN, but I know others that love it just as much.
It read like leftover footnotes from JS&MN.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

That was my impression as well.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Finished Piranesi.

I want my money back.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

So - not good? I was planning to buy it after I finished re-reading Strange & Norrell.

What's the problem with the book?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Jude wrote:So - not good? I was planning to buy it after I finished re-reading Strange & Norrell.

What's the problem with the book?
Everything?

It’s as far away from JS&MN as, as, as...
words fail me.
Voronwë the Faithful

If your expectation was another JS&MN you were definitely bound to be disappointed. It is by all accounts a very different book. I haven't read it yet, but I have read numerous glowing reviews. Here is one:

Susanna Clarke’s astonishing Piranesi proves she’s one of the greatest novelists writing today
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Okay, I'll get it from the library instead of buying it.

If you're regretting buying it, at least you can console yourself that you saved me some money.

Edit: cross-posted with Voronwë. The plot thickens! I might end up loving the book after all...
Voronwë the Faithful

You can always buy it later if you like it. At least you know not to expect another book like JS&MN.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell and Piranesi

Post by Inanna »

Just read that Vox review, thanks, V. Piranesi did not move me, or swallow me whole or anything like that. And it’s not just because of my expectations, I feel. It’s a gripping read, I’m not denying that. But it’s not.... did anyone read the book “who moved my cheese”? Came out ages ago. People went Gaga over its “inner message”; I was all “eh”. The Vox review of Piranesi reads like the reviews of “who moved my cheese”, and my response is similar: “eh”.

The earlier reviews of “If you loved Circe, you will absolutely Piranesi” did ring a warning bell as I was not able finish Circe.

But yes, I would say wait for the library to get it, at least, Jude.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

This is a slightly uncomfortable read but worthwhile I think

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/09/ ... -princess/
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm not sure what it says about me that I didn't find that to be at all an uncomfortable read! It just made me more interested in reading Piranesi once my copy finally arrives.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I thought Alatar was referring to the bit indicating Clarke’s mental state as being uncomfortable. I could see that.

This article did highlight why I love JS&MN so much.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Yes, I was uncomfortable with the suggestion that her mental illness was the result of writing about Faerie. A little flippant I thought.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, I understood that, and I was pointing out that the fact that that did NOT make me uncomfortable perhaps says something uncomfortable about me. Nonetheless, I am excited to read Piranesi, particularly since other than Inanna, all of the big fans of JS&MN that I know (I am on a Facebook group dedicated to Clarke's writings, so there are quite a few), that have read Piranesi have unanimously loved it.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

That's encouraging to hear. Anyway, I've already reserved it at my library, and I really need to buy a new bookshelf before I buy any more books.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Yes, I understood that, and I was pointing out that the fact that that did NOT make me uncomfortable perhaps says something uncomfortable about me. Nonetheless, I am excited to read Piranesi, particularly since other than Inanna, all of the big fans of JS&MN that I know (I am on a Facebook group dedicated to Clarke's writings, so there are quite a few), that have read Piranesi have unanimously loved it.
Sniff.
Voronwë the Faithful

Here is my brief, non-spoiler review of Piranesi, after reading it over the past evenings. Piranesi is a extraordinarily compelling, powerful book that is not nearly as "fun" to read as Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. It is, however, extremely meaningful, its just that I don't know what it means. Or rather, I have a shadowy understanding of what it means, but one that I will need to foster, tend and grow over many more readings and probably many years.

I will add that that article that Al posted takes on very different meaning after reading Piranesi.
Voronwë the Faithful

Here's another glowing, slightly spoilerly, review of Piranesi.

Piranesi by Susanna Clarke review – byzantine and beguiling

This book has made my think a lot, for which I am very grateful. And the more I think, the more impressed I am by what Clarke has accomplished.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

You're going to make me read it again, aren't you?
(Sigh, the burdens I carry)

(;))
(the wink is to ensure V knows I'm kidding about him "making me", even though he is influencing me)