Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows reviews (SPOILERS)

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Túrin Turambar

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows reviews (SPOILERS)

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I'll kick us off. I've finished now, and had a chance to think for a bit.

We hit on everything important. Harry was a horcrux, Snape did love Lily. We didn’t know of the Elder wand, but it does fit in puzzle where it was needed (ie: even with the horcruxes taken care of, how could Harry defeat LV)? LV’s final fate is death by his own hand. It has a nice irony, although I think a lot of us were holding out for the ‘fate worse than death’.

JKR remains a master of the chekov rule – the plot devices kept falling into place like clockwork. All of the guns that were fired had been shown to us, and often fired before as well. That being said, there does seem to be an overuse of some – polyjuice comes to mind. I agree with Dave that the world is groaning under its own complexity by the end.

The actual plot has a fair bit of action, but the book really suffers from poor editing. Things take far too many pages to happen, and there are far too many diversions. It could have been PoA length (and quality) if it was tighter. This meandering, I think, is its biggest flaw.

It does suffer a little from the constant darkness, even if it is necessary. There can be no more wonder and delight in a world so familiar and in a struggle so serious. In addition, I think it suffers a bit from being away from the school – it’s almost a character in itself, and its familiar tricks and quirks provide entertainment in their own right. The book is often gripping, but it isn’t really fun to read. It calls for grandeur, and while JKR does it well, she is not as apt at it as she is at exploring odd and quirky characters and amusing events. Harry as the mythological hero doesn’t quite work as well as Harry the teenage wizard.

There is also less character development in this book. In many ways, that was all covered by Books 5 and 6, but we don’t see the character’s relationships with each other move too much. It was interesting to see Harry address Lupin by his first name towards the end, but I would have perhaps like some definite mirrors to the start of the series. We’re denied final Harry-Snape (although that may have been the end of HBP) and Harry-Draco encounters, for example, although it was interesting to see Snape confess everything at the end through his memory.

But the final chapters are very good. There is a real touch of high fantasy or even a religious undertone about Harry’s decision to accept his own death, his return, and his final duel with the dark lord as his equal. In the end, though, the coming-of-age story trumps the myth, and he has to survive and lead a normal life.

Overall, I’d place it behind PoA, GoF and HBP in quality. It doesn’t fail to deliver, it just does so a bit clumsily.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I'll say what I said on B77.

This book was perfect.

Over the past 8 hours, I lived this book. I cried, openly in the bookshop when Hedwig died.

I laughed aloud and had to restrain myself from cheering Molly Weasley on when she called Bellatrix a Bitch.

The ending was nothing short of spectactular.

The best bit was getting Zoeys number while we were queuing. ;) 8)
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I have to agree with Crucifer. The best book of the series by far. The opening chapters have a driving urgency that we've never seen before. The danger is palpable. I can't help thinking back to the earlier books and "winning the house cup". We're a long way from "Ten points from Gryffindor" now. The middle section slowed down, but that served to let us share Harry's confusion and frustration. The ending was fantastic. I really thought she was going to do it!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Yay, we can finally talk about it? Well, I just got back from picking up my copy, and I'll probably have more detailed thoughts after I've done a more leisurely reread. The first read was breakneck pace, and the book was in a very migraine inducing format.

What I really liked:

1. Dumbledore, who took his place as my far-and-away favorite character. I love that we see his lifelong intellect and academic achievements; his ambition (even to the point of sacrificing family connections - finally, Dumbledore as fallible to the point where he "despises" himself); his family members; his role as chessmaster in the battle against Voldemort. He may have died, but he was more alive in book 7 than ever. Seriously...the Dumbledore exposition alone made this book more than worth it for me.

2. How quickly the pace of the book accelerates. With most of the books, the plot leisurely winds along, building up to a climactic finish. In this case, the reader is quickly drawn into the frenzied, life-or-death action on the night that the Order moves Harry from the Dursleys' home.

3. The humanizing of characters that we had previously been steered towards unilaterally despising. Kreacher. Dudley. Draco Malfoy (and to a lesser extent, even his parents).

4. The resolution of the Harry/Snape seven-book arc. I think it is inconceivable that Snape could ever have told Harry face to face what was revealed in the Pensieve. And so I thought it was fitting that Harry understood what Snape knew, too late to achieve any sort of resolution (as it were). The way it was told was wonderful. I thought it would helped to have some sort of reaction from Harry to what he saw in the Pensieve AT THAT TIME. IIRC - and I was reading REALLY fast by that point - we don't hear Harry actually comment on it until the epilogue, when he says to one of his children, "[Y]ou were named for two headmasters of Hogwarts. One of them was a Slytherin and he was probably the bravest man I ever knew." (I remember thinking at that point, "OH. So THAT'S Harry's reaction..." - maybe I missed something, but it felt rather delayed to me.)

5. The rather thoughtful exploration of death and dying from Harry's point of view. In particular, I liked her various discussions of how we glorify or villify people after death (particularly in biographical works); how we cope with all the things left unsaid. The near-death experience scene with Harry and Dumbledore? That's vintage HP right there.

What I really disliked:

1. Very little Hogwarts. Hogwarts has been the series' anchor, its mainstay. To remove it from the book left the plot (in my view) at times shapeless, almost without a compass.

2. The rapidfire nature of the deaths. I would have thought it unrealistic if no one had died, of course, and indeed, I DO think it was at least somewhat unrealistic that the three lead characters all survived. That said, I thought the book could have done without the deaths of Dobby and Hedwig, at least...maybe even Fred or Mad Eye Moody. It felt numbingly constant...and I've read far gorier and deadlier fantasy books written for adults. There was something off about the number of the deaths and/or how they were written, but I can't put my finger on it.

3. The epilogue. Simply awful. It felt like fan fiction - and amusingly over the past week, I saw a fair number of people guessing that it WAS a fake. It was hard to resist the urge to spoil them on that one point.

4. The ending (other than the epilogue). After a book that (I agree with L_M) meandered through an excessive number of pages, the ending comes so quickly that you scarcely know what hit you. Voldemort dies; people cheer for Harry; final scene with Ron and Hermione in Headmaster's Office and wand hijinks and then BAM. No resolution. At least not enough for me.

5. Two plotlines were too obvious, and in essence read too closely to what I'd pictured in my head. The first was "Snape is really not evil (sorry, can't bring myself to say good), killed Dumbledore on Dumbledore's own orders, and Dumbledore was actually begging Snape to follow through with his promise in order to protect Draco's soul." Yeah. I don't know for a fact, but I'd bet there were already thousands of fan fics written saying just that. The second was, "Harry will ultimately reap the positive consequences of sparing Wormtail's life." In my view, it was ultimately done in a horribly yawnworthy way.

6. Not enough McGonagall. Not enough Snape.

7. There are A LOT of distinct objects flying around, between Hallows and Horcruxes. Too many. Now, I could keep track of them, but in that frenzied first read, I always had to force myself to pause and recall (1) Hallow or Horcrux and (2) when acquired/under what circumstances.

Neither in the liked nor disliked column, but the "Blood Status" registration issues kept making my thoughts twitch constantly to the Nazi regime and the concept of separate identity cards for Aryans vs. Jews. I'm not automatically criticizing this choice...but it's rather unusual to think repeatedly of the Holocaust in reading a fantasy book targeted towards children.

I don't yet have thoughts on how I'd rank this book relative to the others. I definitely disliked more things in this one than in certain of the others. But I probably liked more things, as well. (Certainly the above isn't a complete list, it's just a few things that came to mind at 1:20 AM.) I'll be back with more thoughts after my much slower reread, which might not even be done by the end of the weekend.

One finally, maybe more controversial thought: one theme emphasized throughout the story is that Harry was "chosen" by the actions of others (his parents in sacrificing themselves for him; Voldemort in believing that the prophecy referred to Harry; etc.) Harry did nothing to be "chosen," but merely rose to the challenges presented to him (hobbit-like, in fact.) And so, I think I hated the epilogue so much because it drives home just how "normal" Harry really is - he goes on to lead an unbearably vanilla life, that as far as we know is unremarkable in every way. For some reason, those characters frustrate me - yes, they did in LOTR as well. I like the characters who were always skilled, always talented, who are "chosen" to lead great lives by their own actions and choices - the Dumbledores of the world. The ones who NEVER move on to lead an ordinary life - who instead move on to the next challenge, the next evil to defeat...from Grindenwald to Voldemort. And I think that's why, in book 7 more than ever, I was much less drawn to Harry and much more to Dumbledore. I might be able to think through that more, and maybe even change that assessment, on a second read.
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

nerdanel wrote:I think I hated the epilogue so much because it drives home just how "normal" Harry really is - he goes on to lead an unbearably vanilla life, that as far as we know is unremarkable in every way. For some reason, those characters frustrate me - yes, they did in LOTR as well. I like the characters who were always skilled, always talented, who are "chosen" to lead great lives by their own actions and choices - the Dumbledores of the world. The ones who NEVER move on to lead an ordinary life - who instead move on to the next challenge, the next evil to defeat...from Grindenwald to Voldemort. And I think that's why, in book 7 more than ever, I was much less drawn to Harry and much more to Dumbledore. I might be able to think through that more, and maybe even change that assessment, on a second read.
Thats a peculiar sentiment, one I'd never considered. Firstly, we know nothing of Harry's day-to-day life. He may well have been an Auror in his day job. True, he may have been a pen-pusher in the Ministry too, but we're not told. It seems that you equate "happily married with kids" as "unbearably vanilla". Yet, this is the ultimate prize for Harry, better than a fortune in Galleons or the power of Voldemort. He simply wants the family life that he was denied for all his life. In essence that was his quest all along. Not to defeat Voldemort for the glory of Mudblood and Muggles everywhere, but simply to defeat Voldemort that he might be allowed the opportunity to live a normal life.

And what of Voldemort? As Minister of Magic perhaps he could have fought the return of Voldemort more effectively. How does choosing the post of Headmaster instead of Minister for Magic gel with that? He essentially waited for 11 years biding his time, awarding house points and the house cup and little else. Perhaps if he had abolished the four wizarding houses the skills of bravery, reasoning, dedication and cunning would have been melded together instead of acting as a natural sieve for "dark wizards in the making" to get together?

Lets not forget that Harry is also extremely talented. Not simply in defense against the dark arts, but also as a leader. Is it inconceivable that he might continue to be those things while having a happy family?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

I agree with a lot of nerdanel's remarks, but I liked the book more than I expected to, in some respects.

It seemed too tidy a contrivance to have the Sorting Hat brought out to torment Neville, just at the right moment! That was one of the worst stretchers, for me. But I was glad to see Neville get his piece of glory.

The epilogue -- I could have done without it. Well, you know, it's the tradition of War and Peace, epilogues with little children... But still, there's something distracting about all those children saddled with names of characters we have known. And why all Harry's choices in the names? Where's Ginny in any of this? If Harry's "normal" to a fault, Ginny's pretty flattened. And Hermione too.

Of course, I'm partly just a bit disappointed that my own chosen ending (Harry sacrifices his magic) didn't come to pass. :) I had a MOMENT of hoping when the title of the chapter was "King's Cross" that this would be the real King's Cross station, that Harry would have been muggle-ized, and then, WITHOUT magic somehow make a difference anyway. But that's silly and selfish of me.

I was a bit troubled by the long explanatory King's Cross chat with Dumbledore. Thank heavens it was said to be in Harry's head -- though "real as well." If death is just happily taking a train elsewhere, then the sacrifices of all these people (and the one Harry contemplates) seems less meaningful. In the "theology" of these books, the status of ghosts and portraits (and etc.) is never really tied up to my satisfaction.

Luna did very well in this book!

Dobby's death seemed fitting, but a lot of the others just felt like names on a list: Tonks, Lupin....

But I enjoyed it! And, like the others here, I read it very fast and so hardly have a leg to stand on in anything I might say in response. I had to read fast so the kids could take over the book. I'll be interested to see what they think.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

What I loved most about this book was the "It's our choices that make us what we are" theme underpinning the actions af Dursleys, Malfoys etc. I think that JKR is essentially saying that Good people do bad things sometimes but they're still good people.

I thought the end was a bit rushed, but then, if it was real, it would feel very rushed anyway. I thought it added to the sense of elation and so on.

I liked the disconnection from Hogwarts. It made it all the more dramatic and exciting when he came back and everyone was like "Oh. Let's revolt"

If there had been more Hogwarts, I think it would have taken away from the fact that Harry was on a mission that was more important than anything else. This book transcends the house cup, the detentions etc., showing them to be irrelevant.

As to the deaths of Hedwig and Dobby, JKR is, I think, showing that in war, the innocent die as well as those who chose to fight. Hedwig was lost while Harry was fleeing, due to betrayal. Dobby died in a heroic last act, but he was nonetheless not one of those who chose to fight. Violence affects everyone, not just those at whom it is directed.

I loved it when Kreacher led the house elves out to fight. I always knew he would turn out nice in the end.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that Harry uses Imperius and Cruciatus, and Molly Weasley (of all people) uses Avadra Kedavra? When did it become permissible to use Unforgivable Curses?
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Yes, I was bothered. But Harry's uses don't quite work because he doesn't "mean them" -- right? And presumably when all those wizards and witches are dueling to the death in Hogwarts, they're ALL using Unforgivable Curses, not just Molly Weasley. Mrs. Weasley is understandably beside herself, in any case.
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

I'm with Alatar and Crucifer. Maybe it comes from my INFP emotional devotion to the series, but I could find few faults with this one. :)

Lord_Morningstar wrote:The actual plot has a fair bit of action, but the book really suffers from poor editing. Things take far too many pages to happen, and there are far too many diversions.
I have to disagree. I was riveted with every word, and barely noticed the passage of time while I was reading. If anything I'd have preferred more pages, but I suppose that was never going to happen. ;) I am curious, which parts do you think should have been edited?
Crucifer wrote:I laughed aloud and had to restrain myself from cheering Molly Weasley on when she called Bellatrix a Bitch.
Same here! Only I did cheer aloud. :D
nerdanel wrote:2. How quickly the pace of the book accelerates. With most of the books, the plot leisurely winds along, building up to a climactic finish. In this case, the reader is quickly drawn into the frenzied, life-or-death action on the night that the Order moves Harry from the Dursleys' home.
Absolutely! I was completely drawn in by the first several chapters. I loved the up-and-down emotions and action scenes, it was like riding a mental rollercoaster.
1. Very little Hogwarts. Hogwarts has been the series' anchor, its mainstay. To remove it from the book left the plot (in my view) at times shapeless, almost without a compass.
You shouldn't have been too surprised by this if you read the ending of HBP! ;) Harry said he was not returning to Hogwarts. I missed it too, of course, but it wasn't really unexpected, was it? Hogwarts encompassed the childhood memories of Harry, Ron, and Hermione--to fully remove them from their world of Houses and Quidditch and taking classes, they could not remain at Hogwarts, IMO.
5. Two plotlines were too obvious, and in essence read too closely to what I'd pictured in my head. The first was "Snape is really not evil (sorry, can't bring myself to say good), killed Dumbledore on Dumbledore's own orders, and Dumbledore was actually begging Snape to follow through with his promise in order to protect Draco's soul." Yeah. I don't know for a fact, but I'd bet there were already thousands of fan fics written saying just that. The second was, "Harry will ultimately reap the positive consequences of sparing Wormtail's life." In my view, it was ultimately done in a horribly yawnworthy way.
I disagree here too--I think that, in general, the plotlines were obvious because they were meant to happen. I know that seems like a stupid (and probably yawnworthy) sentiment. But, to me, particularly the first plotline you mentioned HAD to happen. I feel very strongly that I would have been hugely dissatisfied had Snape turned out to be a true Voldemort supporter. Sure, it would have been different from what the fans had guessed all along, but I don't personally think that's a good reason to write a particular plot element.
And so, I think I hated the epilogue so much because it drives home just how "normal" Harry really is - he goes on to lead an unbearably vanilla life, that as far as we know is unremarkable in every way.
Harry is NOT normal. But he has always, from as far back as he can remember, yearned to BE normal. IOW, what Alatar said.

Also, did you really read the book in an HOUR??? :shock: I know you're quick, but wow...it took me at least 8 or 9, not including breaks, and I'm sure there are plenty of things I missed! :D
solicitr wrote:Is anyone else bothered by the fact that Harry uses Imperius and Cruciatus, and Molly Weasley (of all people) uses Avadra Kedavra? When did it become permissible to use Unforgivable Curses?
A little bit, yes. But you can't really be soft on Death Eaters, can you? ;) And I think that after all the evil that had been thrust upon the Order, they were entitled to a bit of revenge.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Since when is a Gringotts goblin a Death Eater?

Besides, Cruciatus is in its effects and even its literal name, torture: and I would think that in this day and age that "well, it's OK to torture some people" would be problematic, to say the least.
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

solicitr wrote:Since when is a Gringotts goblin a Death Eater?
What else was Harry supposed to do? Sure, he and Ron and Hermione should have planned better. But since they didn't, I can't think of any other way that they could have gotten into the vaults that would have made sense considering Gringotts' protections.
Besides, Cruciatus is in its effects and even its literal name, torture: and I would think that in this day and age that "well, it's OK to torture some people" would be problematic, to say the least.
I'm not saying it's okay, I'm saying it's an understandable response. Like Sirius said, "The world isn't separated in to good people and Death Eaters." Everyone has shades of both. Using Avada Kedavra doesn't make Molly Weasley evil or bad, it makes her an angry and impassioned mother who has just lost a son. Sort of similar to Harry using the Cruciatus curse.
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Immediately after finishing the book, I wasn't sure if I was thrilled or disappointed. On one hand, after reading Half-Blood Prince, I imagined a book such as this being the ideal ending for the series. On the other, almost every secret has been widely predicted by fans for two years now. The only things that were really unforseen were the Deathly Hallows themselves and the insights into Dumbledore's past. However, overcoming that disappointment (which is more caused by the zeal of the fans then any predictability on Rowling's part, I think), this was everything I hoped it would be. Action-packed and brutally dark (beyond the extents that I thought Rowling would actually go to), it ends the series with a nice bang. I really liked the sense of total chaos, despair, and anarchy in the Wizarding world this time around. This was where I felt Half-Blood Prince was bringing it to with Dumbledore's death, but I had a sinking suspicion that Rowling would shy away from going all the way with it. How wrong I was!

On a related note: Seeing the direction that the Order of the Phoenix film went, for the first time I really wonder about Deathly Hallows' rating. If the director for this film retains the intensity, the hopelessness, the lightning-pacing of the deaths, all within the gritty reality that the last film presented... Well...

Oh... and I really hope that whoever does it keeps Molly's rage to Bellatrix. CLASSIC!
"So much of what we do is ephemeral and quickly forgotten,
even by ourselves, so it's gratifying to have something you
have done linger in people's memories."

-John Williams
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

Atreides wrote:Immediately after finishing the book, I wasn't sure if I was thrilled or disappointed. On one hand, after reading Half-Blood Prince, I imagined a book such as this being the ideal ending for the series. On the other, almost every secret has been widely predicted by fans for two years now. The only things that were really unforseen were the Deathly Hallows themselves and the insights into Dumbledore's past. However, overcoming that disappointment (which is more caused by the zeal of the fans then any predictability on Rowling's part, I think), this was everything I hoped it would be.

I posted something about this on TORC just now, and I think I'll repost it here because it relates directly to the disappointment that I've heard from many people that people's predictions came true.

I think a lot of fans predicted much of it--and I was right on several things--but, you know, I actually wasn't disappointed in the slightest. It turned out exactly how I'd wanted it too. I think I'd have been devastated if the ending had been any different. Surprises are great (and there were certainly some of them for me in DH) but I was truly satisfied that many of the predictions I made came true. I think that it isn't a case of JK Rowling simply doing what her fans wanted because they wanted it. I think that the book was just meant to be that way. You know? When you're writing fiction, a lot of times the plot will just happen on its own, and there's nothing you can do to change it because if you DID change it, the book would come out forced and contrived. Sort of the consistency of an altered Pensieve memory. :D IMO, that's exactly what happened with DH.
eborr

Post by eborr »

A few comments, -

There were so many predictions by "fans" that the law of averages dictated that someone would be right, so it's absurd for folk to get upset over that.

The use of the unforgivable curses, of course they were justified, this was a war - when you and your's for generations to come is under threat of subjugation or annialation you don't set the phasers to stun.

Dont' like to judge a book too much on it's first reading, but I think this was the one I have enjoyed the most, sure a lot of the charm of some of the earlier books was gone but apart from a bit where it flagged in the middle - where they were endless pitching up tents and thinking of plans I thought the pace was great, and Harry away from Hogwarts, I thought that was right, he needed to feel isolated
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

elsha wrote:
Crucifer wrote: wrote:
I laughed aloud and had to restrain myself from cheering Molly Weasley on when she called Bellatrix a Bitch.

Same here! Only I did cheer aloud
See, my Parents were asleep in the next room, so I had to be shush.

The Hogwarts disconnection emphasised the fact that the book was no longer about detention or winning the house cup or homework. It was about finding and destroying Horcruxes.
solictr wrote:Since when is a Gringotts goblin a Death Eater?
I saw no evidence of any goblin being a death eater.

There were a lot of things that could have gone disastrously wrong in this book - Snape, pitching of tents, Dumbledore.

If JKR had written DH like the other six, i.e. Snape all bad, Dumbledore all good, etc. those things would not have worked.

She broke free of the mold that she wrote the other 6 books in by having little or no Hogwarts, Dumbledores dark past, and Snapes interesting one.

That's what i liked best about it.

It's different.[/quote]
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Here is my review, full of unabashed squee. :) Colour me impressed and emotionally wrung out. :)

That opening chapter rocks.

Hey. Backtrack there. What’s really going on in that little exchange between Snape and Yaxley, there? My brain is ticking mightily. Is Snape … yes. He is. I don't know how he's doing it, but he is.

Oh, poor Charity! Snape, I still believe in you, mate, but you are one mighty cold fish.

OMG, waste no time, the Order is under attack! OMG Hedwig! :( Mad-Eye! :( OMG Death Eaters gatecrashing the wedding! OMG Tottenham Court Road! And … whaaaat??? How did the Death Eaters track them down there??? Way to go, JKR. You have hit the ground running with the pace here, girl!

Now then, that middle section. Harry, Ron and Hermione on the run, cut off for months on end from all their loved ones and fellow Order colleagues. I realise I might be alone in this, but I thought it was effective and really gives the impression of having to disappear and go underground in a dangerous war. I am sure this is not going to be a popular opinion, but I REALLY LIKED IT SO THERE.

But the hissy fits were admittedly unnecessary. First Ron, then Hermione, then Lupin ... get a grip, people!

OMG silver doe patronus! Whose is that????!!!!! Yes, yes, I know. I’m slow on the uptake. So bite me. :P

That is a fittingly just end for Peter Pettigrew.

The break into Gringotts … wow.

Oh Snape, Snape, Snape. You are Utterly of the Awesome. You’re not nice - but OMG you are awesome, and I love you forever.

Dumbledore, words fail me. You don’t deserve Harry or Snape. I guess you have the grace to recognise that. You move people like they're pawns on a chessboard, man.

That two-parter-with-an-interlude-in-Kings-Cross-purgatory that is Harry's final showdown with Voldemort??? - awesome.

You have to hand it to Jo Ro, she can write a mighty fine battle.

NEVILLE, YOU FLIPPIN’ ROCK.

And yes, so does your gran.

Bellatrix goes out in style, as you would expect. Nice one, Mrs W! Very Sigourney Weaver, I must say. :D

Oh, boy. McGonagall. When she thinks Harry’s dead. *clutches at heart*

Applauding portraits. Very Field of Cormallen, Harry. *ruffles his hair proudly*

Final death tally: I didn't want it to be Harry. I'm sorry for the Remus/Tonks fans.

The Epilogue: colour me absolutely shameless, but I love it. It’s perhaps a tad less sugary than Tolkien's famous unpublished Epilogue with Sam and Rosie and Elanor and countless cute Gamgee kidlets. Honestly, I really liked it. As I said, colour me shameless. Because OMG Harry called his son after Severus too. *snuffles into hankie*

And I liked that curt nod from Draco. I know, I'm hopeless. One big soppy sap.

Scorpio for Gryffindor, Albus for Slytherin. What can I say. I’m such a sap. I even liked Kreacher converting. Am hopeless.

Quibbles? - well, not enough Malfoys. Sigh. At least she didn’t kill them off. That would have been utterly inexcusable.

And is anyone else rather weirded out by the fact that Jo Rowling inflicts on poor little Teddy Lupin exactly the same fate that she inflicted on Harry? Oh well, at least Teddy will grow up surrounded by people who love him. But … hmmmmpphhh! Rowling is a bit of a Dumbledore, really.

But enough quibbling! This should make a fantastic film. Director will need to trim a lot, of course. That middle section will have to go. *grin* But - wow! I look forward to much Harry emo. And Snape emo. Alan Rickman will be just ... *dies*

Now, somebody put those green-and-silver Slytherin colours back where they ought to be ... flying proudly beside Gryffindor. :)
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Started it yesterday at 5:00pm. Went to bed at about 10:30pm, two-thirds done. Finished this morning at 9:30am.

Loved it. Loved the characters, loved the final battle (and yes, I kept thinking - "man, this will ROCK in the movie") loved the almost-dead Harry and his last conversation with Dumblebore. Loved Neville! Loved Luna! :love:

Surprisingly spiritual overtones in this last book I thought. All about owning your own soul and remorse and possbility of redemption. I wonder what some of the neo-Christian groups who came out against the Potter series due to implied Devil-worship will have to say, if anything.

I DID read about a Christian youth study group that is using Harry Potter as a way to teach about mercy and love and standing up for what is right.

(And Pearly, I agree with you - Dumbledore is a bit of a git, isn't he?)
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

And is anyone else rather weirded out by the fact that Jo Rowling inflicts on poor little Teddy Lupin exactly the same fate that she inflicted on Harry? Oh well, at least Teddy will grow up surrounded by people who love him.
Actually, It's more like Nevilles fate...
Being raised by his Grandmother.
But she's nice, as opposed to being an old bag.

And Dumbledore did what he had to. It may have been manipulative etc., but he had to do it.
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Wow :shock: :shock:
I just finished it and I must say I am just blown away. I don't really know how I feel about this book. I mean there were so many amazing parts and yet there were also sometimes when the story just got me really annoyed. The ending though just did it for me I mean I loved it.

The beginning was very good-I liked it a lot. It was interesting, exciting and a far cry from the beginning of the other 6. A lot of the humor in the book was located in the first few pages (I loved how the twins were still able to be funny even after George lost an ear!). The wedding was its aftermath were great and extremely exciting. I loved the change in Kreacher and I honestly didn't see it coming. :)

After the break into the Ministry however the book took a turn in my opinion. I didn't really like this part of the book at all and I really saw no need for the whole Ron storming off at all! The whole gloominess and hopelessness was too much for me personally.

It got much better after Ron came back. The action was back and so was the hope and the sense that the book was going somewhere. Personally I wasn't too pleased with the way Wormtongue died because I was honestly hoping for him to take a much bigger role. The ending was fantastic and really quite fabulous. I am however still fuming at the (what I see as unnecessary) deaths of Lupin and Tonks. I guess its fitting that all of the gang dies but I just don't like it and I don't really see the point of it. The way Rowling handled the whole death aspect really well in my opinion. The part where Neville kills the Basilik is just too convenient in my opinion and was the only part of the ending I didn't like.

All in all I liked the part it played but it was just too dark and gloomy for me to honestly say that I liked it more than PoA.