What are you reading?

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Prim wrote:I have to say, to be fair, that to me the sequence where the young Arthur lives as a wild goose is utterly beautiful.
Yes, that was very nice - I find that the anachronisms, even if they are meant to be funny, are often just annoying, but every now and then, there's a phrase, a description that's truly beautiful. :)

The chapters about the wild geese put me in mind of a book I've meant to read for a long time, but haven't yet - I almost started it once, but it's a lot longer and with a lot more convoluted narrative style than I'd expected, so that put me off.
Has anyone here read Selma Lagerlöf's "Nils Holgersson's Journey with the Wild Geese"?
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

So while I was on vacation, I discovered a fantasy series that I think I'm going to like a lot. :shock: It's completely unlike Tolkien (which helps, for me).

It's the "Temeraire" series, by Naomi Novik, which opens with His Majesty's Dragon. It's set at the time of the Napoleonic wars, and is about them—except with dragons. Dragons are real, they've been known throughout history, everyone takes them for granted, and they are used in war. It sounds completely preposterous, which is why I hadn't tried them while I was busy. But the author makes it work, for me: the ways dragons (and their crews of human riders) are used in battle, the different breeds and nationalities, their varying levels of intelligence (they talk), their training and care and feeding, and the way their riders fit (or don't quite fit) into the society of Regency England—it's all examined and used.

The first book is the story of Captain Will Lawrence, R.N., and what happens when circumstances force him to become the partner of a newly hatched dragon. He hasn't been brought up as an aviator and is shocked by some of the aspects of that society-within-a-society, as he tries to give up his former social and professional ambitions and adapt himself to a new life.

I enjoyed this book completely for two reasons. First, I love it when an author takes a wild idea and examines it thoroughly, wringing every interesting detail out of it and following all the implications through to their logical ends. And second, Novik knows how to write to the period. She's not Patrick O'Brian—she's American, in fact—but there were very, very few places that "bumped" for me because of language. Her bio says she's a lifelong fan of both O'Brian and Austen, and she must also have a good ear. I'm sure an English person would find more little mistakes than I did, but I was seriously impressed.

And it's a good story, well told, with interesting characters. I really recommend it.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I'm reading the nonfiction book Guns, Germs, and Steel. Amongst other things, it makes an argument for how the lack of domesticable animals on the non-Eurasian continents impacted the development of those people. In that context, it's cool to think: what if the Incas had a few dragon riders around when those dastardly Spaniards showed up on their fancypants horseys. =:) 8)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I'm reading Hyperion, by... someone whose name I forget.

I read Candide by Voltaire, which is hilarious and excellent.

I gave up on the pilgrims progress. It got repetetive.

I read some book called Survivors that religious fundamentalists were handing out on the streets of Waterford. Basically, the world is about to end, and anyone who isn't one of them will go to hell, The leader of the UN is the antichrist, and world peace is a bad thing. :scratch: :er:
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

truehobbit wrote:Has anyone here read Selma Lagerlöf's "Nils Holgersson's Journey with the Wild Geese"?
I was about to raise my hand, jumping in excitement, when I realized that no, I didn't. I did see a gorgeous Russian animated movie based on that book. Hard to say how close it is to the real story. :D

I'm still on my Pratchett bend. Last book - "Wee Free Men," which I loved for the most part. It got a bit metaphysical toward the end. That's where I got my current title, BTW. It's dog Latin (or toad Latin, rather) for "Would you like a face full of head?" - a typical Nac Mac Feegle threat. :D
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Children of Húrin

Enjoying it. :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

Crucifer wrote: I gave up on the Pilgrims Progress. It got repetetive.

And I had to read the whole darned thing for a class!!!

As stated before, it's better to parody than to peruse.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I'm reading "The Children of Men" by P.D. James.

Before that: a charming new book you've never heard of called "The Hidden Worlds." :D Before that: "Locked Rooms" by Laurie King. All excellent.

"Guns, Germs and Steel" is already on my eventual-list, yov. And I think I'll add "His Majesty's Dragon" to that ever-expanding list as well.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Crucifer, is that Hyperion by Dan Simmons?

Be ready—it's only half a story. Ends in midair. Many people really liked it and its "sequel," but I was too peeved to bother to buy another book.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Frelga wrote:
truehobbit wrote:Has anyone here read Selma Lagerlöf's "Nils Holgersson's Journey with the Wild Geese"?
I was about to raise my hand, jumping in excitement, when I realized that no, I didn't. I did see a gorgeous Russian animated movie based on that book. Hard to say how close it is to the real story. :D
:rofl: That must have been a great movie if it gave you the impression you'd read a book. :D

There used to be an animated TV series here, but I doubt that was close to the book.
I'm still on my Pratchett bend. Last book - "Wee Free Men," which I loved for the most part. It got a bit metaphysical toward the end. That's where I got my current title, BTW. It's dog Latin (or toad Latin, rather) for "Would you like a face full of head?" - a typical Nac Mac Feegle threat. :D
That's what I figured, but I thought I must have it wrong, as it doesn't make sense! :doh:
(It's not dog-Latin, it's quite proper Latin, it just doesn't make a lot of sense. ;) )

Last week, I finished 'Thud', which was good but a bit lengthy at times.
I've been trying to find more by Pratchett that sounds as promising as my favourites, but I think I'm already through with the best ones. There don't seem to be any 'witches'-books left, and they are my favourites.
There was an excerpt from the new "Wintersmith" (? title?) book in my copy of 'Thud', and that was just so badly written... :(
Crucifer, is that Hyperion by Dan Simmons?
The only Hyperion I know is by Keats. :P

(Well, not quite true - there's also a Hyperion by Hölderlin, but I haven't read that, so I don't actually know it. :D )
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Alatar wrote:Children of Húrin

I hope you'll post your impressions when your done, Al. :)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Borderliners, by Peter Hoeg - I'm re-reading it, and I think I may re-read Miss Smilla's feeling for snow, also. I enjoyed both of them when I read them about 10 years ago. They are sombre, give me a feeling of displacement but I really liked the author's ability to quietly get inside his characters while still maintaining a psychological distance. I felt I was observing, rather than inhabiting their skin.

I'm also in the middle of The Hidden Worlds. :)

And I'm reading The Optimistic Child - but that is not so much for pleasure as a work in hand as I try to encourage my kids into a more optimistic mindset. It's also been very insightful for me, as I get a grip on my own thought processes.

I also have "Guns, Germs and Steel" at my bedside. I think I've read up to Chapter 2 twice through. I'll have to start again when I pick it up again as I've lost the thread of it and it's very dense subject matter.

And several Trollopes await... :)
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

I'm reading Harry Potter again!

Two weeks from midnight. :love:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:love:

Son #2 is going to stay up all night reading before leaving for two weeks of Scout camp in the morning. He will hand off to Son #1, who was supposed to be first this time but who has no such time constraint. Then Daughter #1 gets it. Then me.

Historically it's only taken all three of them about thirty hours to read the whole thing, so my fun will not be all that much delayed. It's the spoilers I'm worried about.

There's also the new movie next week to look forward to. Reviews say it's dark, which makes me happy. I think kindness to fictional characters is a sad, sad waste.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

truehobbit wrote:
Frelga wrote:
:rofl: That must have been a great movie if it gave you the impression you'd read a book. :D
It was quite good, as I remember. It must have been ages since I last saw it.

I was just so excited to find someone else familiar with Scandinavian children's books.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Frelga,
My daughter has every book ever written by Pratchett. Let me know if you are having trouble finding a particular book.

Hobby,
I have PM'd my daughter's email address to you. She'll be happy to tell you which Pratchett books are the best. Do you remember her from the London moot several years ago?

Yov and Imp and Wampus,
Guns, Germs and Steel is a great book! Makes you see civilization in an entirely different way. I found it best to keep it on the back of the "throne" and read a page or two a day. Takes a while to digest. The sequel, Collapse, is an even slower read, and not as good, but it does have some gems in it.

I just finished a great book by a hot new author. Now what was her name? Sounded hobbity .... hm. Consumed it in 48 hours. Rare book that will do that for me.

Now I'm reading Ellen Kushner's Privilege of the Sword. A light but well-crafted read, with some rather eclectic, um, romping.
prim wrote:I think kindness to fictional characters is a sad, sad waste.
I've noticed. :D
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

narya wrote:Frelga,
My daughter has every book ever written by Pratchett. Let me know if you are having trouble finding a particular book.
Thank you, narya, that's very generous. I haven't exhausted the bookstore possibilities yet, but I will certainly remember your offer. :) Give my best to Aiwe.
I found it best to keep it on the back of the "throne" and read a page or two a day. Takes a while to digest.
:D :D :D :D That's a very good way to deal with dense literature.

baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

Impenitent wrote: And several Trollopes await... :)
And has it ever been otherwise?

And I love Guns and Germs.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:
Alatar wrote:Children of Húrin

I hope you'll post your impressions when your done, Al. :)
I've already commented on TOB. I'll repost here if you like.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

I was just so excited to find someone else familiar with Scandinavian children's books.
I think they tend to be pretty popular here, but I've not yet been able to figure out if Nils Holgersson is really meant to be for children. As I said, when I first looked at it, it didn't seem very readable. But that might be because of its age.
Hobby,
I have PM'd my daughter's email address to you. She'll be happy to tell you which Pratchett books are the best. Do you remember her from the London moot several years ago?
Thanks, narya, that's very thoughtful of you! :)
Of course I remember Aiwe! Awesome girl. :D Haven't seen her on messageboards for ages, though - does she still post?

Re Peter Hoeg, years ago I read his "The Plan for Abolishing Darkness" (or whatever else the English title was ;) ) - it was nice, but I remember there was something wrong with it - just don't recall what. Narrative style, I think.

And, yep, I'm also pleased that Hidden Worlds got here before the new Harry Potter, because I don't want to wait with that one any further. :D