What are you reading?

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
RoseMorninStar

Re: What are you reading?

Post by RoseMorninStar »

narya wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:04 pm Interestingly, there are at least three other authors who wrote books titled "Take Me With You", but the one by Hyde is not available to me in Libby. She has written quite a few other books, though, like "Pay it Forward". Evidently she started that popular movement back in 2000.
"Take Me With You" was suggested to me and was free as part of Amazon Prime. (I know, I know, don't throw things at me). :scarey: edit *I take that back.. it was a .99 book.

Frelga, I'm not an Austin fan although I'm familiar with some of her work. That sounds like an interesting book but I'm not generally a book 'listener''/I get too distracted. Is it worth the read?
Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It's worth a shot I think. Maybe with the mindset of "I could relate if this were about Tolkien"?

Armitage does have such a luscious voice.

But Austen is central to the story, and it doesn't explain any references. Like, two characters are talking about "the time Mr. Knightly scolds Emma for not finishing her book list but then we find out that he kept the list as a memento" and that's not only relevant to the scene but to their entire relationship.

But maybe you'll discover a new appreciation for Austen? ;)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

narya wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:04 pm I also couldn't find Starship Sakira, the author Bob Blanton, or the series Delphi in Space. Oh well, I'll try again later. They sound interesting. I can add it to the end of my to-read list, currently at about 230 books. An embarrassment of riches. :P
In the audiobooks, it says that the author is self published, so maybe that limits distribution quite a lot.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

(Especially) for Frelga: Rediscovered Terry Pratchett stories to be published
Twenty stories written under a pseudonym and never before attributed to Pratchett, who died in 2015, will be released this year by Transworld
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Another book report. I keep feeling overwhelmed by my lending shelf on Libby, yet when I look back, I am consuming on average 2-3 books per week, so I shouldn't complain. Lest you be envious, understand that this represents 60 years of pent up desire to curl up with a good book all day long. And I pair that with a lifelong-learning desire, which I feed by reading books about interesting people, interesting ideas, and interesting futures. Now that I'm on audio books, and retired, and doing things that can coexist with listening to books, I am finally getting my fill.

My latest indulgences are:

- Fatty Fatty Boom Boom by Rabia Chaudry, a memoir about a Pakistani American woman, dealing with the prejudices of others with regards to being brown, overweight, and female, while living at various times in rural America, urban America, and Pakistan. She writes passionately about food, to the point where my mouth was often watering, and I swear I gained two pounds just listening to the book.

- Mindful of Race by Ruth King. This started out slow, but then got very pointed and enlightening. (Well, she is a Buddhist, so she's doing her job as a bodhisattva!) One key idea is that the predominant society (in America, generally Caucasian) sees people as individuals, whereas minority groups (such as Blacks or those identifying as Queer) see themselves as part of a group, and when one member of that group is attacked, the whole group feels threatened. Thus, a well meaning person in the dominant culture can't say "I don't see color" or "Not all whites" or "Not all men" as a ticket to get out of the responsibility for the injustices and racism that are ongoing today, and the repercussions of such activities from the past. We who are white or white-passing got where we are on the backs of others, whether we know it or not, and if we do nothing about it, we are racist. (If we do a lot about it, we are probably still racist because we can do harm without even knowing we are doing it.) It gives me a lot to think about, and the tools to do something about it. (Like strongly encouraging everyone to read this book.)

-The Brilliant Death by A.R. Capetta. This is a YA fantasy set in psuedo-medieval-Italy, with stregas (witches) and the usual going to the capital, passing a trial, falling in love, etc. type adventure. There's also lots to do with gender identity, but I won't spoil it for you. It's light, and entertaining.

- Decolonizing Wellness by Dalia Kinsey. A short book with a BIPOC and LGBTQ take on health, nutrition, racism, and body positivity. It helped me to see things more inclusively.

- The President's Brain is Missing by John Scalzi. A hilarious short story. What would you do if the President's brain went missing and nobody noticed?

I've also downloaded a few interviews with the authors I've been reading, at the Professional Book Nerds podcast https://professionalbooknerds.com/, which give insight into their thought processes, and alas, yet more book recommendations that I will never be able to get thru. But I'll try. :D
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

narya wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:00 am The President's Brain is Missing by John Scalzi. A hilarious short story. What would you do if the President's brain went missing and nobody noticed?
Fiction or non-fiction?

j/k. sorta. :blackeye:
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I generally like Scalzi's work. I'll have to get that short story. :)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I'm listening to Neil deGrasse Tyson's Starry Messenger, but he's starting to get on my nerves. He says he wants to apply scientific method to political discussions of the day, but his arguments are getting increasingly sillier.

Currently, he is defending Fox-affiliated media from liberals who associate all Fox properties with Fox News by citing Avatar, made by 20th Century Fox, as dealing with the plight of indigenous people. "Pocahontas in space" is not a progressive endorsement, Neil.

And while there is plenty of room to criticize Democrats on racism, the fact that Lincoln was a Republican is irrelevant to a 2020 book. Also, it's true that Obama did not nominate a Black person to a Supreme Court, but he nominated a Hispanic woman.

Overall, it's a good choice for an audio book. It's a bit of stream of consciousness, which makes it easier to pause it, and Neil's voice is soothing when he's not saying illogical things.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:12 am (...) the fact that Lincoln was a Republican is irrelevant to a 2020 book.
This. In spades. Just as the label 'Democrat' meant something different (especially regarding race relations) for much of the 19th century. The parties and what they stand for (and what they stand against) have greatly evolved.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Has anyone read, 'Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell'? I just finished it (after a near crisis when my ebook cut out 15 pages short of the ending). :bawl: When I began reading it wasn't really my cup o' tea and wasn't sure I was going to finish the very long book but now I'm curious how to interpret the ending. It was also a BBC 7 part series several years ago.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I've seen the title before, but never actually tried it. :scratch:

I'm currently on a series called "Middle Falls Time Travel"
It's a sort of "Ground Hog's Day" premise, where people get to repeat parts of their lives over and over, trying to fix what went wrong. I thought it would be repetitive and boring, but instead I'm hooked. Since most of them are free on audible.com, it will be quite a while before I have to pay for any of them. That's not the main attraction, but it helps. My audiobook consumption has ramped up considerably this past year and getting a series for free that I find compelling is a welcome change.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

RoseMorninStar wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:55 am Has anyone read, 'Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell'? I just finished it (after a near crisis when my ebook cut out 15 pages short of the ending). :bawl: When I began reading it wasn't really my cup o' tea and wasn't sure I was going to finish the very long book but now I'm curious how to interpret the ending. It was also a BBC 7 part series several years ago.
I've read it - twice! We actually have a thread for it. What was it about the ending that you want to discuss?

I haven't seen the series yet but I'd like to. Unfortunately, my library doesn't have it and it's not on Netflix.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Re: Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, I think Prime Video has it? I watched one episode on YouTube.

I don't recall where the book recommend came from. I had it on my kindle requests for a long time due to a a long waiting list. I finally got it, but wasn't sure I'd like it and eventually got wrapped up in it. Then, for some bizarre reason, my kindle blanked out about 15 pages before the end of the book. It was just gone. I've never had that happen before. I've previously gotten notices about 3 days before a book is due. I tried to reorder it but, again, the waiting list was long. Fortunately I was able to order a hard copy book from my library consortium which only took a few days but my reading continuity was kinda messed up. I might have to read it all over again! It really took me awhile to adjust to the style of the book.

It sure would be nice to have a sequel (which the author originally planned before she had to deal with a long term illness). Even a much shorter book which wraps things up such as: What becomes of Lady Pole? What did Sir Walter Pole make of the return of his wife and disappearance of Stephen Black? Do Strange & Norrell ever find their way out of the encompassing darkness. What happens to Arrabella? It seems she doesn't have a home to go to because the houses were sucked into the darkness along with Strange & Norrell. What happens to Lacelles? Who was the woman being guarded in the tower? If it was Lady Pole (who has since been released from enchantment) is Lacelles still stuck guarding that tower (if so, it's not more than he deserves, heh). Childermass and Vinculus are interesting characters it would be intriguing to see what they are up to.

If the Raven King lived from 1110-1434 -how did he die? If he lived about 324 years and the Gentleman with the Thistledown hair (Fairy King of the North) has lived about 400, does that suggest he killed the Raven king & took his place? How does the Raven king come back & revive Vinculus? How old is Vinculus and why is he doomed to an endless life of being an enchanted book? What did he mean about Strange & Norrell only being a product of the Raven King's magic? Is there a good reason the English 'forgot' magic and closed those fairy roads? So many questions...
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Oh my oh my.

I just lose myself in that book - I’ve read it many-many times - and never have all these Qs!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Bea Wolf

It’s very silly
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It looks very cute.

The Hugo award nominations are out, and I am pleased to find that I read 3 of the nominated novels.

The Kaiju Preservation Society, by John Scalzi (already discussed here)

Legends & Lattes, by Travis Baldree

Nettle & Bone, by T. Kingfisher

I enjoyed all 3, but they are a bit... lightweight? Legends and Lattes is especially a bit of fluff. An orc acquires a magical artifact that is supposed to lead her to her heart's desire or something, which turns out to be opening a coffee shop and making friends.

Now, I love fluff! I was the one asking for stories without a conflict and fantasy that did not involve a Dark Lord and a Chosen One. But none of the 3 are exactly interrogating deep truths about humanity, like the 1970 winner The Left Hand of Darkness.

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I read Nettle and Bone and agree it's fluffy and fun.
Haven't read the others.

I've been reading crime lately and have discovered Elizabeth George's Inspector Lynley series. A great find!
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Impish, I think you'd enjoy both of these. They are fun, even if they are not that deep.

The other nominees are

The Daughter of Doctor Moreau, by Silvia Moreno-Garcia. Passing this one unless I get a strong recommendation, based on the Female Relative of a Male Occupation title and the fact that The Island of Doctor Moreau traumatized me in my youth.

Nona the Ninth, by Tamsyn Muir. Don't know anything about it.

The Spare Man, by Mary Robinette Kowal. I keep meaning to read this author, maybe I'll start here.

But right now, the new Lady Sherlock book is out so I'm reading that.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Making note of all three. I’m good with well written fluff.

Which one is out, Frelga? I read the last one something “At Sea” a couple of months ago…
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yes, Tempest at Sea is the one I'm listening to.

I wish Libby was better at notifying me when new books by an author are added at my library.