Architectural Photographs

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Architectural Photographs

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Thank you, Eldy!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Thanks! Our kitchen, which we re-did 13 years ago, gets a work-out. I love to cook/bake. I should have removed some of the miscellaneous stuff before taking a photo!

Oh V.. that is stunning! I'm truly covetous! *Is thinking I may need to peruse Craig's list &/or FB marketplace.*
Love the cedar(?) paneled room too. Is the glass part of a barn-style roll-away door?

Quite some time ago we purchased a stained glass light for the dining area and all of the colors/design followed that piece.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 11.57.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 11.57.51 PM.png (413.8 KiB) Viewed 3502 times
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

Rose, that is a lovely light; we have one very much like it!

And yes, the large stain glass is built into a custom-made barn-style door that we have a contractor construct around the stain glass. The paneling in the room is pine, and matches the paneling in our living room. That room used to be two small (almost unusable) bedrooms that we combined into one long room.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Here's the other one of our nice stained glass, though the light isn't the best. When the sun shines through it, it sends red dots of light throughout our bedroom.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

That is just gorgeous V. I'm quite jealous. I love little custom touches like that in a home. I've taken to looking on FB marketplace to see what I can find for stained glass. I'm not sure where I'd put it, but if I find the right piece I'm sure I'd figure it out.
:)
Voronwë the Faithful

:)
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I'm still behind in posting these :D

Here is Salisbury Cathedral from the outside. As you can see, it has a huge tower in the centre which sets it apart even from the other great English cathedrals:
Salisbury1.jpg
Salisbury1.jpg (163.18 KiB) Viewed 3305 times
Close-up of the tower:
Salisbury2.jpg
Salisbury2.jpg (178.95 KiB) Viewed 3305 times
It's a prominent landmark for miles around. Here's the view from my hotel:
Salisbury3.jpg
Salisbury3.jpg (179 KiB) Viewed 3305 times
Did I tell you about the hotel? I deliberately chose the same hotel that my grandparents stayed in when they visited, years before I was born. My grandmother told me that she saw a ghost there - she woke up and saw a man, thought it was my grandfather, spoke to him and he disappeared. Then she realized my grandfather was asleep next to her. (I shared this story on b77, can't remember if I shared it here or not)
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

That is an amazing family story Jude! Lovely photos.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Speaking of the hotel, here it is: the tall bit on the left was built in 1799, and it's where the guests stay. The part on the right is from the 13th century and is now used as a restaurant operated by the hotel.
OldMillHotel.jpg
OldMillHotel.jpg (230.94 KiB) Viewed 3262 times
By the way, I told the guy at the reception about my grandmother's experience, and he said "I'm not surprised - people are always reporting ghost sightings."
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Here's a beautiful book displayed in Salisbury Cathedral. I should have taken note of what it was - I probably just assumed that I'd remember :D

This would have been transcribed and illustrated by hand. I imagine that owning one of these books back then would be like owning a fleet of expensive cars nowadays.
SalisburyBook.jpg
SalisburyBook.jpg (346 KiB) Viewed 3250 times
Although we aren't allowed to photograph it, the original Magna Carta from 1215 was also on display in a special room with low lighting. I was actually close enough to read all the original words and signatures. It was like being in a holy place.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I've recently joined a FB group called Peintures, where people are posting lovely paintings. Many of them are from famous artists - the impressionists are especially popular - others are modern, and some people are posting their own work.

I was getting REALLY tired of the number of nude women that were being posted (always by men, no surprise there) so I decided to look into posting some paintings myself. In a thread advertising the Chesapeake Bay area as a tourist designation, I came across this magnificent wall mural of Harriet Tubman. Apparently, Chesapeake Bay was one of the terminals for the Underground Railroad, and the mural is on the wall of the Tubman Museum. The artist is Michal Rosato, and this is what he has to say about the painting:
“The inspiration comes from that moment when a slave has to make a decision to go,” he said. “This incredibly strong and compassionate woman is about to offer that hand for that freedom. And I thought, how do I capture that moment where it all happens, when the risk was taken to run from the slave owner, to a woman taking a risk to bring you through to the other side. This is that special moment when the hand is being offered. She has to be compassionate, but has to assert a certain authority.”
I think he conveys that very well! Very powerful, moving portrait! And it's been very popular with the people on Peintures, with over 200 'likes' so far.
Attachments
Harriet Tubman mural.jpg
Harriet Tubman mural.jpg (73.07 KiB) Viewed 2980 times
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.