Take me out to the ballgame!

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

A grand trophy with the letters "SF" in the center? What's not to like?

Even I, the "bah humbug" queen of all games that involve a ball, stopped following the WSJ liveblog I've been following "for commute purposes" during NLCS and the World Series and started actually watching the game when the teams stuck at 3-3. I watched the way such things are meant to be watched - in a restaurant full of people clad in orange and black, with a beer in hand. And then there was the celebration with yelling and screaming on seemingly every block of this town. Some blocks stepped up their game with impromptu parades, fireworks, gunshots, and/or bonfires. I'm not sure I understand the deep-seated euphoria that follows for many from their home team's winning a championship series, but you know, I'm glad to see so many people so happy. City Hall is all lit up in orange in honor of the Giants, and I foresee many people calling in mysteriously sick tomorrow, with what doctors are likely to diagnose as Giantitis. Or Hangoveritis.
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Geez, that was quick. Don't you people have any sense of drama? Where's the down-to-one-strike heroics? Where's the squirrel? This is baseball, dammit, not competitive Scrabble. :rage:
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

You clearly have not played a lot of competitive Scrabble.
:D
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

nerdanel wrote: I foresee many people calling in mysteriously sick tomorrow, with what doctors are likely to diagnose as Giantitis. Or Hangoveritis.
Further to this: LOL at the several unexplained "in at 10:30" "whereabouts" emails from colleagues.
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Teremia wrote:You clearly have not played a lot of competitive Scrabble.
:D
I have aesthetic objections to how competitive Scrabble is usually played. But it would only be improved if, on occasion, a tree-dwelling rodent ran across the board and stole a tile.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

So in case you didn't watch the home run derby, here's a spoiler: Yoenis Cespedes of the A's won.

Not only did he win, he hit more home runs in the first round than anyone else did in first and second combined. Tied for all-time 3rd place for most HRs in one round. Then, he won the final round with 5 outs left.

That kid is just a pleasure to watch.

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I would just like to point out the obvious. The Red Sox rock and the Yankees still suck. Yes I'm talking to you Sassy. :P
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

The Sox are certainly rocking tonight. 18 runs, seven round-trippers. And Big Papi with his 2000th hit. And 2001st.

Edit: Make that 19 runs, and 8 home runs.

Edit again: 20.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I know that in the scientific world there are multitudes of scales and factors.
There are indexes and graphs and a plethora of means for measuring various amounts of data, masses, solids, gasses and pretty much anything.

And yet, I am not certain if there is in fact a scum meter.
I mean do scientists that deal with pond scum or other types of rotting or decomposing matter have specific scales or measurements to rate the levels of decomposition or, for lack of a better term, rottenness of specific matters?

I guess what I am getting at, does ARod, his temerity, his lack of conscience, and disrespect for the game and the followers of baseball, constitute his own unique scale, or is there some sort of scale already in place to accurately depict the level of self servitude, scumbaggery, rottenness, scumogaphy and his myopic sense of the planet surrounding him?

Inquiring minds want to know if he is indeed the most base living creature on the planet.
Voronwë the Faithful

Maybe the 1919 Black Sox. That's about the only comparison that I can come up with.

Edited to add: and, I have to say, the attorneys who are enabling him to file this latest ridiculous lawsuit.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

At least the Black Sox had a greedy owner to help account for their degenerate ways. No even Pete Rose isn't on the same level with ARod.

He is by far the most self centered, egotistical star that had it all and gave it all away.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

As an addendum;

What Pete Rose, Joe Jackson (maybe) and the Black Sox did was more detrimental to the game. Maybe.

Their sins were worse, but it is difficult to say which has had more of a negative impact.

ARod lives in the "instant technological age", so his sins are apparently more damning.

If he were a football player, we wouldn't be having this discussion, which makes me all kinds of befuddled.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Voronwë the Faithful

Holby, I agree with you completely. But as an aside, do you remember how close he came to being trader to the Sox, and how upset people were that the dreaded evil empire swooped in and 'stole' him? Probably the biggest favor the Yankees ever did for yhe Sox.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I do remember. We ended up with Manny instead and 2 championships.
No wonder the Mariners won 116 games after ARod left.
Voronwë the Faithful

At the time, he seemed like a typically self-absorbed superstar, but no worse than anyone else. I remember when he was going to "save" the home run record from the "evil" Barry Bonds.

My biggest hope now is that he is never allowed to play another game, and fails to catch the best player of all time on the home run list. He is only six behind the Sey Hey Kid.
Voronwë the Faithful

Boston Strong!
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

What a fun series that was to watch.
The Sox have a few stars, but mostly they are a team with journeymen players who just win. I really can't explain how. Sure they have solid pitching
and Koji is a machine, and yeah they can score runs too, but I think this is one of those times that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

I enjoy rooting for this bunch. Much more so than rooting for talented a-holes.

GO SOX!!!!
Voronwë the Faithful

Well said.

Now I'm going to make you jealous. We have tickets to Game 1! The funny thing is that "Three Little Birds" is the ringtone on my phone. So I won't know whether I'm getting a phone call, or Victorino is coming to the plate. ;)
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Lol. That is awesome.
I had a near opportunity to go to last nights game, but it fell through.
I suppose I could scrounge my way to one of the games, but the cost is prohibitive.

Have fun V.