Star Trek: Into Darkness

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

My question is, 3D or regular digital? I loved the 3D version of Avatar, and liked most of the 3D in The Hobbit—but what I like 3D for is depth and realism of scenery, mostly. Stuff blowing up into my face, things flying past my head, not so much. Is it worth it for this movie?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I saw it in 3D. There were a couple of "in your face" moments but it was mostly just immersion. I liked it.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Oh I am in bg trouble. :help:

I was disappointed.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

So, for someone who is a moderate Star Trek fan, mostly of DS9 and Voyager - if I had to pick one, this movie or Iron Man? Don't have much time for movies these days. :help:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Oh no. Really, Impy? :(

I also saw it in 3D and thought it was nicely done.

Frelga, I haven't watched any Ironman movies, so I can't help you out.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I will refrain from giving my review here because I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but it wasn't the 3D that did it.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I don't know why you think that you should not give your opinion. :scratch: I for one would be interested in what you have to say.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

So would I.

Plus, I like Ironman and plan to see the new one.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I only now realized that both movies star an actor who also played Sherlock Holmes. :D
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Okay, I'll do it all in spoiler code, but I'll do it tomorrow. Too tired; worked all day (Saturday!) after a whole week of too much work, and now I have to help Marc with our taxes.

Sigh.

[/end whine and pour wine]

I have no idea about Ironman, but there was a terrifying trailer on before Into Darkness about monsters coming through a portal in the depths of the sea. It came on immediately after we were instructed to put on our 3D glasses, so it was the first 3D experience of the night and it was traumatising.

Can't recall what the movie is called though. Was that Ironman?
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I think that might have been Pacific Rim.

And, yes, you should share your opinion. :)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Pacific Rim, yes—Guillermo del Toro's latest project. I'm curious about it. The giant-robots-and-monsters-fighting genre usually bores me (I can't get fascinated by how many different ways there are for one large monster to throw another large monster into a large building that then falls down), but GdT has imagination.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

So I think no Star Trek this weekend for me. . . . I have a bad cold I need to keep to myself, if possible.

Phooey. :bawling:
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Feel better, Prim! :hug:
spring colds, so common and so seasonally inappropriate
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I quite enjoyed it. No time to write more now, but I will say that Cumberbatch was terrific.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Ooooooh yes, he was. :love: That voice! He out Rickmans Rickman. :D

Take me to the dark side, baby! :blackeye:

I also love the Kirk/Spock bromance. Zachary Quinto as Spock is :love:
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

I just saw it.

I thought it totally kicked ass.

Totally. Kicked. Ass.

More later.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I was disappointed. Went in with very high hopes and very excited, but was unable to maintain my sense of belief.

First shake was a character interaction which was unconvincing, so I was forced to see it as actors playing parts. That plucked me right out of the story, and once that started, I couldn't re-immerse myself. Jarring notes kept sounding for me during various interactions, so I saw them set pieces with actors pretending.

Having had my sense of immersion shaken, after that there were too many points in the plot line that I couldn't go with. But my inner sense kept asking, "really? You're going to go there?"

It felt fake and unconvincing, no matter how much I wanted to like it. :(
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I finally got to see it today. We were going to go Friday nite, but a certain book signing was more important. :D

I thought it was a great ride. We saw it in 3D, but I think 2D would have been fine, and a good trade off for the unpleasantness of ill fitting glasses over glasses.

I teetered between immersion and pulling back to note the contrast between old and new ship, old and new crew, old and new story lines, old and new vision of what the future looks like. But it was much easier to accept than the first film, when I kept thinking "but wait, it didn't happen that way!" and now I can just say "well this is a cool rethinking!"

Mildly spoilerish comment:
Hidden text.
I wasn't particularly surprised by the plot twists, because there were Chekhov's guns (no, not that Chekhov) for all the important stuff. And because there were so many parallels to the old story lines.
The homage to the Millennium Falcon was good. The homage to Blade Runner I could do without - a little too gritty for me.

I felt energized and stress free for the rest of the evening. A welcome relief from reality.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

narya wrote:The homage to the Millennium Falcon was good. The homage to Blade Runner I could do without - a little too gritty for me. .
I must be really thick, because I didn't notice or recognize either...
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame