Harrison Ford IS the Crystal Skull—SPOILERS

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.

I'm Going to See This Movie Because ....

Harry - still sexy after all these years
64%
Bill Shatner isn't in it
9%
I'm going to see Prince Caspian instead
27%

Total votes: 11

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

No wargs? hmpft! What a let down of a spoiler! ;)

I'll get to judge for myself this evening. :)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I thought it was great. Very unbelieavable, and very, very entertaining. Probably my favorite other than Raiders itself.

SORTA SPOILER BELOW..
Now we see what happened to Galadriel after going all radioactive. :P
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Voronwë, are you the new vote for Harrison Ford being "still sexy after all these years"?

I can see that I must see this movie.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

No, I didn't vote. Where's the choice for "Karen Allen, still sexy after all these years"? ;)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

I rented National Treasure 2 last week and it had the cutest love story between Helen Mirren and John Voigt. They played the parents of Nicholas Cage, treasure hunter! And he's no spring chicken either.
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Folca

Post by Folca »

I have put off seeing this movie until later on today out of trepidation. I really don't like the kid that plays "Mutt" as and actor. Indy is my favorite movie character of all time (mostly out of nostalgia from my childhood) and to cast such a lousy actor hints that Lucas and Spielberg are losing their touch. A much better choice would have been Joseph Gordon-Leavitt (watch "Brick" if you haven't seen it).

Belatedly edited for spoilers per request. :blackeye:
Last edited by Folca on Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ut Prosim"
"There are some things that it is better to begin than refuse, even though the end may be dark" Aragorn
"Those who commit honorable acts need no forgiveness"
http://killology.com/sheep_dog.htm
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I don't know, Folca. My son is very torn between wanting to be just like Indy when he grows up, and wanting to be just like Mutt in a few years. :D
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Folca, you might want to put that in spoiler tags. I didn't know it going in, and I'm sure a lot of people would prefer not to...
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I rented National Treasure 2 last week
I was on the set! My second cousin is the person who makes sure everything looks authentic. (It was some sort of a car chase in London...)
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Voronwë the Faithful

Alatar wrote:Folca, you might want to put that in spoiler tags. I didn't know it going in, and I'm sure a lot of people would prefer not to...
That's a good point, Al. I agree.
Folca

Post by Folca »

My apologies for not putting it in the spoiler tags, but to be honest I knew about it from the press before ever seeing the film. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed in the movie. I had hoped the casting mistake would be the worst of it, but I was not very impressed. I think there is plenty in history that could have been used as an adventure that was a bit more down to earth and far more entertaining. I missed a lot of the flavor and there wasn't much use of the iconic things I feel were the spice of the other three movies. This one rates below Temple of Doom by a wide margin.
"Ut Prosim"
"There are some things that it is better to begin than refuse, even though the end may be dark" Aragorn
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
It's time to try defying gravity

Post by MaidenOfTheShieldarm »

I saw this on opening day and was almost perfectly pleased with it. I wasn't sure how I felt about the whole crystal skull thing because even for an Indiana Jones movie that seemed a bit much. (Incidentally, I looked up crystal skulls and they're pretty interesting historically.) I got over that pretty fast though and thoroughly enjoyed the entire thing from the opening (especially the refrigerator fiasco) to the end credits. As a student of archaeology, Indy holds a special place in my heart for being an archaeologist action hero. The Raider's theme is even my ring tone. It adds adventure to my day. :P I especially liked that he was in South America since that's really the only place I've worked (though it was considerably different :P). Cate Blanchett was a terrific villain and it was awfully nice to see Karen Allen back. I also thoroughly enjoyed the fact that Indy was now fighting communists. To sum up, it was essentially exactly what I wanted from an Indy movie -- semi-mythic with lots of adventure, good fight sequences, a dash of archaeology, a good enemy, and the same Indiana that I have come to love.
I think there is plenty in history that could have been used as an adventure that was a bit more down to earth and far more entertaining.
I don't think Indy is supposed to be down to earth. Despite what I said earlier, crystals skulls and aliens aren't exactly more out there than an 800 year old knight guarding the Grail which turns anyone who drinks from the wrong one into a living portrait of Dorian Gray. Aliens are just splashier (and that hall with the crystal skeletons was awfully beautiful).
And it is said by the Eldar that in the water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the sea, and yet know not what for what they listen.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Folca wrote:This one rates below Temple of Doom by a wide margin.
Hmmm. I'm not sure there's any room below Temple of Doom, in my book. :) (Although there's a couple of "prequel" Star Wars movies that could possibly squeeze in there at the bottom...)

I enjoyed the film, but felt my eyes involuntarily rolling a couple of times... I mean, c'mon. I will give the film a lot of latitude, you know, it IS an Indy film, but... the alien thing kind of bugged me. I don't know why, really, because as Mossy points out, seldom are the Indy films made with any attempt at plausability. But somehow it still bugged me.

I liked that Karen Allen was back in the film. What a great smile that woman has! I did miss some of that spunk-- she did seem a bit underused. But I just like her energy. She's a good match for Indy.

And here's a bit of a feminist angle, but I like that she looked like she had aged. I think I got traumatized somewhat recently by seeing Priscilla Presley on Dancing With the Stars-- that woman is SCARY with a capital What-in-the-Sam-Hill-Happened-To-Your-FACE -- and I really liked that Allen looked older than last we saw her. You know? Indy looks older. It kind of makes sense that Marion would, too.
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Karen Allen is beautiful. Now. She has the face of a beautiful young woman who got older with humor and good sense.

But I would've guessed it back in the days of the first movie. Even then she had a smile that wouldn't quit, not the frozen look of a woman terrified to crinkle her eyes.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Folca

Post by Folca »

When I made the "down to earth" comment I was objecting to the alien plot line. I think there was no reason to toss in space ships and the like. I certainly don't expect reality or plausibility from an Indy movie, but I wanted something similar to the look and feel of the other three, and it just wasn't there.

Indy is my favorite movie character of all time, and the Raiders March is one of my ringtones as well. The positive sides are that Karen Allen participated, because she was my favorite female role in any of the films, the warehouse sequence was great, there were some funny lines and moments, though not nearly as many as in Raiders or Last Crusade. I was glad to see Indy return to South America also. One of the biggest reasons I have a history degree is because of my infatuation with Indy as a child developed an early interest in the past, something I am grateful for. I won't hold it against anyone for liking the film, but it lacked a lot of what I expect and appreciate from an Indy film, so it ranks last. I'll purchase it when it reaches the ten dollar rack at Wal Mart.
"Ut Prosim"
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

There's a $4 rack at Blockbuster. :D (previously viewed) I hold out for my favorites to appear there.
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Folca wrote:My apologies for not putting it in the spoiler tags, but to be honest I knew about it from the press before ever seeing the film.
Folca, your apologies don't count for much if you don't go back to edit the spoilers in the previous post and then compound them by spoilers in your next. You may well have heard all about this stuff from the press, but please show a little respect for those who went out of their way not to. I've seen the movie, but had I not, your posts in this thread would have spoiled it dreadfully. Just because you disliked the movie does not give you carte blanche to ruin it for others. Please show a little consideration.
Folca

Post by Folca »

I figured it was a moot point once you called me out on the spoilers. I will edit the first one, but nothing I said wasn't already said by others before my third post in this forum.
"Ut Prosim"
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

In that case can I request that a Mod mark the thread title "Including Spoilers"
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Done, Alatar.