2016 United States Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Re: 2016 United States Election

Post by Primula Baggins »

Now we wait, with calm dignity and complete trust in the wisdom of the great democratic traditions of—

:bang: :bawl: :scarey: :pullhair: :spin: :pray: :puke: :er: :rage: :pray: :pray: :pray:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

This is just for you, yov.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

When you're not sure who your wife will vote for...

Like Father, Like Son!

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Those are horrible booths. At my polling place, the divider goes above the head height and none of them are that close to each other.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Re: the question of whether Trump will concede if he loses, see the fact that he is already suing the state of Nevada for keeping early voting open too late:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3304393 ... da-Lawsuit
This action is to preserve the status quo so that, if the election of presidential electors from the State of Nevada is contested, the candidates and courts may redress egregious violations of Nevada election law perpetratde by the Registrar on November 4, 2016.

The Registrar's violations were not random and neutral in their effect, but very much appear to have been intentionally coordinated with Democratic activists in order to skew the vote unlawfully in favor of Democratic candidates.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Whether you think Trump's underlying motivation is for fame, fortune or power, the next obvious step is to sue everybody.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

And the judge in the case has told them to take a hike. She also refused to give them the names and information of poll workers "so they can be harassed."
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful

narya's avatar picture is evidence that it is rigged. RIGGED, I say!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Wow. My eyes have been opened!

Too bad I already voted.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Our polling place had tables with chairs and cardboard dividers along the long table. I could easily see the ballots next to me when I stood up to go. It is set up kind of like this:

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-688598938105 ... ooth-1.gif

Secret ballot is a joke these days anyway. After the pollworkers found my data, they got a ballot for me and then scanned in the ballot number. So, my ballot and associated votes are easily traced back to me.
Voronwë the Faithful

Regarding the Nevada lawsuit, what they were arguing was that Clark County kept the polls open so that the people in line at the time that the polls closed could vote. The problem with that is that Nevada law states that the people in line at the time that the polls close should be allowed to vote. Unfortunately for the Trump camp, it doesn't add "unless the bulk of those people are Mexican-Americans motivated to vote for the first time by a candidate's unprecedentedly incendiary anti-Mexican rhetoric."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Well, the Trumped-up argument was that there was a bus that got to the polling place after closing. I saw a bit of the hearing online and the judge wasn't having any of it.

Maria, same here with the scan. But it's different from having your husband look over your shoulder to make sure you vote "right". (Generic your, obviously. My husband WOULD look over my shoulder if he could but only because he can't keep all the propositions straight)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

As I've got a fair bit of leave accumulated, I've taken the day off work (Wednesday). First polls close 10am local time. I've got a few errands to run this morning, but I'll be in front of the TV at 11am to see the first results.

I've watched the coverage live of the last three U.S. presidential elections. In 2012 I was in Brisbane, and my father had less than two weeks to live. In 2008 I didn't work Wednesdays, and university exams were about to start. In 2004 I'd just started university and one of the Australian commercial TV stations was showing (from memory) the MSNBC coverage. Now there are many more channels than in 2004 and all the stations have their own dedicated U.S. election coverage on one of their channels.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Frelga wrote:Well, the Trumped-up argument was that there was a bus that got to the polling place after closing. I saw a bit of the hearing online and the judge wasn't having any of it.

Maria, same here with the scan. But it's different from having your husband look over your shoulder to make sure you vote "right". (Generic your, obviously. My husband WOULD look over my shoulder if he could but only because he can't keep all the propositions straight)
Another advantage of vote by mail—being able to look things up and talk them over while you vote.

We don't vote the same all down the ballot—we differ on some issues. But it's good to listen to each other; we've each changed the other's mind once or twice.

Túrin, I am very much hoping that you find our election day really, really boring. :shock:
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I'll admit I peeked over my husband's shoulder while he was filling out his ballot, just to see who he finally went for in the Presidential race. And then I left to take the kid to a birthday party. I figured he had the voter guide and Google. He'd be fine.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Ours aren't close enough to peek at anyone else's, unless you make it super obvious as you walk by.

Túrin, that's kind of cool that you're that interested. :)
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Prim, is there any kind of affidavit that you have to sign when voting by mail, stating that you alone have filled out the ballot (unless blind or incapacitated), or that you've done so in secret, etc. Just curious.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I took W with me. He looked around for a minute, then loudly inquired "why is everyone working here so old?"
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Marc has dedicated the day to the election (actually, he's been glued to it since he sent a text telling me that the first 8 votes had been lodged in New Hampshire). He has taken over the living room with two television screens, two laptops tuned to US stations and his phone following polling sites. He's just yelled at me that "the first real results are in!"
I'm going into the office for some peace and quiet.

Posting on phone via Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I'm in position, no real results as yet. It's great to see that the (Australian) ABC has the phenomenal psephologist Antony Green doing the map, although foriegn commentators can sometimes struggle a bit with the idiosyncracies of U.S. elections (and visa-versa). The Australian Federal Parliament is sitting today, although it is not expected to do any work as all the MPs are following the American results. As one of the journalists pointed out, it'd be a perfect day to hold a press conference to drop some news you want buried.