Harrison Ford IS the Crystal Skull—SPOILERS

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.

I'm Going to See This Movie Because ....

Harry - still sexy after all these years
64%
Bill Shatner isn't in it
9%
I'm going to see Prince Caspian instead
27%

Total votes: 11

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

If Tom Selleck had been Indy, I wonder if there would ever have been any more movies? I saw Selleck in exactly one film, and thought he was one of those TV actors who for some reason does not have the presence to hold my attention in a film. Blandly handsome, that was all.

That seems to happen a lot. I wonder if film requires a kind of charisma that has been a drawback on TV: maybe too intrusive, not soothing enough.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

We're all going on Saturday night - the kids can bring friends and maybe we will as well. Make it a hoot of a night out for the family. :D
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I'm waiting for it not to be new anymore, because I have two movie passes that I can use but not on new movies. Had them since the Christmas 2006. Yes, I'm THAT much of a moviegoer.

Actually, chances are, I'll just rent the DVD. Indy is on my OK list, and Ford never did a thing for me.

Not sure it's appropriate for my son, though. I don't think it's harm him or anything, just... don't know.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

He's a bit young, I think. I would not take a child his age to any of the first three unless I knew he had handled similar things before. You never know what's going to stick with kids!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I'd like to see it, but it's likely I won't till it comes out on DVD. I did my rare trip to the theatre for Prince Caspian.

I think Harrison Ford is pretty sexy, though, and I try not to think about the fact that he is the exact same age as my dad. :shock:

Lali
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

uh-oh .... I think I might be the same age as your Dad, Lali. :wimper:
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

That's okay Jn; that means you're the exact same age as Harrison Ford, and he's, you know, hubba hubba! ;)
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:D

Impy is exactly right!

(Hey, you know, my dad's not a bad-looking guy either, really. I'm a little biased, though.)

Lali
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Had to pop over to imdb, because the idea that I might be a crystal skull myself at this point was a little too disconcerting!!!!

However ... Harry belongs to the decade before mine. My skull is safe. :D

for a while
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Ford is older than my Dad. :shock:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I'm younger than Ford, but he's not old enough to have sired me. Not legally, anyway. :)
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Shoot, y'all are jest babies!!!!

I think he's a year old than I am.

Frightening.

And I think we'll go see it after it's been out a week at Silver City in Mission.
Dig deeper.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

I've never really considered Harrison Ford a particularly good actor. He is one of those actors who almost always plays a variation on the same character. It's just that that one character is very appealing.
Ditto Humphrey Bogart, and John Wayne, and Jimmy Stewart, and Clark Gable... an honorable Hollywood tradition.

I saw it. Not bad, but it had a certain by-the-numbers feel: you can't capture lightning in a bottle, and whereas Raiders in 1981 was the first all-out adventure movie anyone had made in years, really the rebirth of a forgotten genre, now the action blockbuster is old hat. Any Indy picture would have to fight hard to stick out above the Mummys and National Treasures, not to mention its own predecessors.

(I did *not* like the sub-X-Files ending. I heard that it was Lucas behind it, which hardly surprises me.)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

solicitr wrote:
I've never really considered Harrison Ford a particularly good actor. He is one of those actors who almost always plays a variation on the same character. It's just that that one character is very appealing.
Ditto Humphrey Bogart, and John Wayne, and Jimmy Stewart, and Clark Gable... an honorable Hollywood tradition.
I agree, soli. I didn't mean it as a criticism (not really).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Quote I didn't expect to hear from a teenage boy (my son):

"It had too much fighting and too many car chases."

I thought they put those in for his demographic!

My biggest complaint: Too many ants. But then, I have history with ants. :x
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Ants?

Hmmm .... I voted yes in my own poll, but might change it if there are lots of ants. Rather have snakes than ants, truth be told. Ants remind me of those aliens in the Aliens movies.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

And scorpions, too :twisted:
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Does exactly what it says on the tin... what more can you say? It was Indy through and through, had all the over-the-top wackiness and pseudo-mythological babble, and, yes, the paranormal stuff of all the previous three. I felt Indy looked a bit decrepit in the first 10 minutes but after that he really worked. Mutt was great and it was a genuine delight to see Karen Allen. She reminded me of that Beautiful South song

"Take a look at those crows feet, just look, sitting on the prettiest eyes..."

Two thumbs up!

(Even if I have no idea what actually happened at the end, but hey...)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

It just seemed to me that Karen Allen/Marion was underused- no opportunity to show the spunk that made her such a joy in Raiders.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Oh I dunno! Her cliff dive was pretty damn spunky!

(and she wasn't even dragged over by a Warg)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End