Same-sex, whole-milk marriage: 50 Shades of Gay

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I suspected that was the case. 8)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

This issue has just taken off here again. Last week the Parliament of the Australian Capital Territory passed a law establishing same-sex marriage in the territory. This afternoon the Federal Government filed a legal challenge in the High Court.

I read the Commonwealth’s writ (in that article) and I have to admit that, to my legal mind, their case seems very strong. The Parliament of the ACT doesn’t have the constitutional power to pass laws with respect to defining marriage. A state or territory cannot define marriage any more than it can raise an army or print money. The purpose of the Commonwealth’s marriage power is to ensure that marriage is defined consistently across the entire country, and there is no question that someone married in one state is married is another.

The ACT is arguing that their same-sex marriage regime is different to the one existing under federal law, but they still have no authority to create an institution recognised as marriage by the Federal Government or the governments of the other states and territories for the purposes of their own laws. So it seems like a purely symbolic exercise to me.

The Federal Attorney-General, George Brandis, is pro-SSM. But he has an obligation to defend the Commonwealth’s laws. I sympathise with his position. While I would like to see SSM legal across the country, I have to accept that the Commonwealth Parliament has the ultimate say on the definition of marriage, it has defined marriage as being between a man and a woman, and as a result the Federal Government is obliged to challenge in court attempts by state or territory parliaments to creep in on its power. Parliamentary sovereignty and all that.

That said, the law may stand, although I cannot really see any reason why it would outside political sympathy on behalf of the High Court. And this may eventually force another vote on the Commonwealth Marriage Act. Other states, Tasmania in particular, are waiting on the outcome of this case with their own proposed legislation.

At any rate I might reserve judgement until the ACT files its defence on October the 31st.
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Congrats to NJ! :D
Primula Baggins wrote:We're very close to the point where even the strongest opponents of SSM will have to concede that a Constitutional amendment outlawing SSM nationwide is not going to happen.
IMO, we're well past that point. The momentum -- and public opinion -- has shifted. A constitutional amendment banning gay marriage was always a long shot. Now? It's a pipe dream. There's still plenty of work to be done though, of course.
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

We're getting very close in Hawaii:

http://www.advocate.com/politics/marria ... lity-house

Senate said yes, House is debating and is closer now (but is expected to pass next week), and the governor has pledged to sign the bill.

We are directly benefiting from the fact that Hawaii passed a rather different anti-SSM amendment in the 1990s than many other states did. As Wikipedia explains:
Amendment 2 differed from amendments that followed in other states in that it did not write a ban on same-sex marriage into the state's constitution; rather, it allowed the state legislature to enact such a ban. On November 3, 1998, Hawaii voters approved the amendment by a vote of 69.2–28.6%, and the state legislature exercised its power to ban same-sex marriage.

The language added by the amendment reads:

The legislature shall have the power to reserve marriage to opposite-sex couples.
—Article I, section 23, The Constitution of the State of Hawaii
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Well, number 16 was not Hawaii (still pending), but Illinois!

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-gay ... 7118.story
I won't just survive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform

But still I rise
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

My thoughts go to the people of Hawaii. Hope their legislators have the courage to be on the right side of history now, rather than later.
Voronwë the Faithful

It looks very good in Hawaii.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow ... z2kCTX0P00

Interesting though that it has taken this long, and that the debate has been so acrimonious, since it was the fear that Hawaii would legalize same sex marriage that sparked the passage of DOMA almost 20 years ago.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

When I was in Hawaii recently, I was subjected to this egregious commercial at least once an hour on TV. Here's the text for it, spoken by a warm, native Hawaiian-accented man, to a back drop of warm fuzzy pictures of families.
The heritage of Hawaii's people is rooted in Family. Mothers and fathers united in marriage, caring for each other and their keiki [children]. But some politicians want to redefine marriage, damaging our people, who believe marriage unites one man and one woman. When marriage is redefined, people and families are punished for not agreeing. We can preserve the traditions of our Island ohana [family] by preserving marriage. Tell your state representative to let the people decide on marriage. Now.
:rage: :rage: :rage:
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

When marriage is redefined, people and families are punished for not agreeing.
He's got a point considering that part of the law now says dissenters must be whipped at least twice per month.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

I know I tend to jump the gun with thread title changes, but I'm comfortable going ahead and adding Hawaii to the tally now. Should be official later today or tomorrow: http://www.advocate.com/politics/marria ... -due-today
I won't just survive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform

But still I rise
Voronwë the Faithful

Best title yet. :love:

ETA: (Although I am tempted to wave "hi!" back at it. ;))
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

It must be official - the POTUS just tweeted it! :wave:
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

So where do people who actually live in Hawaii go for their honeymoon?? :D
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Tahiti?
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

In picking vacation spots, I'm imagining Hawaiians have the same problem as self-satisfied Bay Areans but even more so: how do you improve on perfection?

I was going to head over there for vacation in a couple of weeks but got dragged into a friend's Bermuda trip for Thanksgiving instead. :| You might be tempted to dismiss this as first world problems, but when you consider that my parents do not yet know that I am going to Bermuda rather than to see them for Thanksgiving, we are talking SERIOUS first world problems.
I won't just survive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform

But still I rise
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

If there isn't a very gentle way of telling the truth tell them you're completely bogged down at work. Given your profession this should be completely plausible. To maintain cover, be excruciatingly careful with what leaks onto any social media sites you're using.

We gave my family the "S is expecting a heavy workload" line for why we're not going back for Thanksgiving. In our case it's not a complete lie but it's not a complete truth either. And he might not be as busy as he anticipated as his potential client is playing silly buggers with their contract and since S is not the kind of guy who just signs anything the games will continue until the offending clauses are removed or the clients find a more vulnerable consultant. But, whatever happens with that, we'll have a nice dinner with some lovely friends and, to make it up to my family, we're going to be in Seattle from the winter solstice to the day after New Year's.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

Or, just tell the truth.
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Haha, I'll tell the truth. They'll deal with it, and it's honestly not going to be close to the most awkward situation I've dealt with this past month (won't even hit the top five), so it's all good. But I definitely understand your need for discretion, River.

I may or may not be able to make it back in December, either, which is the element that makes my decision to go to Bermuda so potentially thorny. We'll see.
I won't just survive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform

But still I rise
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

As much as I love Brisbane, I have never felt under any obligation to go back and visit, nor have my family ever asked me why I'm not going back for any particular event or holiday. I have to say that I don't really understand any awkwardness that comes from not visit interstate or overseas family - travelling costs a lot of time and money, and it hardly seems fair to demand it of someone.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Lord_Morningstar wrote: I have to say that I don't really understand any awkwardness that comes from not visit interstate or overseas family - travelling costs a lot of time and money, and it hardly seems fair to demand it of someone.
Well, because it's family, that's why.

After my father died, my brothers and I went almost 3 years without seeing each other, all together. We realized that the glue that brought us together - my parents - was gone and unless we made a point of getting together, we'd be one of the those families who said things like, "I have a brother who lives in *wherever* but I haven't seen him in 10 years. You know, too busy, too far away, no time...."

Then all of a sudden, you're getting older and suddenly...well.

So my brothers and I made a kind of pact. We meet every year for what has come to be called "Tree Burn." Basically, it started because the first year we did it, we met at my oldest brother's house (a big tract of land in upstate NY) and after a sufficient amount of beer, we burned last year's Xmas tree which had been saved and dried. It went up like a rocket. It also happened to be a full moon. We decided it was so awesome, that we would do it every year, come hell or high water.

So now, we have it annually...and it has become quite a family reunion. Spouses, significant others, close friends, relatives, cousins...everyone can be an honorary "Chilton" for the weekend. I think we're in our 10th year. We now have tee-shirts, and a picture album and last year, the first grandchild showed up.

But the most important thing is that the four of us siblings are able to be there. And we come from wherever we are. No matter how far.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame