Paul Simon impact on music

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Now the years are rolling by me
They are rocking evenly
I am older than I once was
Younger than I'll be, that's not unusual.
No, it isn't strange
After changes upon changes
We are more or less the same
After changes we are more or less the same
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

That's like the missing verse from "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." It was the best verse of the song, imo, and it was cut from the commercial release. I heard it for the first time when the anthology came out.

Sorry to drag the Beatles into this thread again but I think it does happen that sometimes a songwriter's best stuff will get cut without much regard for the integrity of the piece. Time constraints or something. Who knows.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I picked up the new Paul Simon CD today. Very different...Brian Eno did a lot of, um, work on it. :D But there are parts I am already fond of.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

It's odd if the verse was dropped for time, considering the song's famously prolonged ending. It's Simon's opinion (not mine!) that the ending is too long. But the studio wanted it long, and apparently the studio decided that a verse had to go because of it.
The_Hutter

Post by The_Hutter »

Well they was a verison of The Boxer were the verse
Now the years are rolling by me
They are rocking evenly
I am older than I once was
Younger than I'll be, that's not unusual.
No, it isn't strange
After changes upon changes
We are more or less the same
After changes we are more or less the same

was in it, and the Intrustemental pieces, which by the way was written by Arthur Garfunkel were both in it, it was on the
Paul Simon live and rathyms
i dont spell welll sry
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

The_Hutter wrote:Paul Simon live and rathyms
i dont spell welll sry
I don't either sometimes, Hutter, and I'm supposed to know better.

That's not unusual.
The_Hutter

Post by The_Hutter »

His song are so meaningful, becuase he is never on the anginst anyone, he alway, write in the postive mind set.

Which made him so great!
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

The_Hutter wrote: the Intrustemental pieces, which by the way was written by Arthur Garfunkel
\

Now, that is a surprise to me, because I didn't know that Garfunkel wrote anything...certainly not the instrumental arrangements! How did you find that out?

I love that "extra" verse of The Boxer...especially as I get older myself. And I never knew that it was an original verse; I always assumed that Simon had added it later...as he got older!

"After changes upon changes, we are more or less the same..."
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

Yes, it's a verse that touched me deeply when I first heard it, too. After the Central Park concerts, I think.

When I heard "Born at the Right Time", I thought of the story arch of "The Boxer". I still do. Listen to the last verse of "Born." I think you'll see what I mean. Hell, I'm gonna go play Rhythm of the Saints.

I ain't heard it for a while. Not as strong as Graceland, no. But several high points equal to Paul's best.
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

The daily obituary tells me a the death of Thomas W. Dawes, young popster in the mid-sixties who went on the write jingles for TV and radio: "Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz," "7-Up, the Un-Cola," and the "Coke Is It" jingle, all of which had a certain "ant-acid" feel to them.

Turns out, he was the lead (really the only) talent of a group called "Cyrkle." They were one-hit wonders from New York who never really performed.

But their one hit was "Red Rubber Ball."

By Paul Simon. In 1966. All right, you 55+, er's. 'Member that one?

It was certainly my favorite. I was . . . . (calculates . . . .)
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Paul Simon wrote that????

:shock:

And it was one of my favourites too.............when I was 14. :banana:

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi