American Abuses of Power?

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

It is my desire to see a world in which no one could even FORMULATE that comparison.
I think what we really desire to see is a world in which there is no extant country to which the comparison could be made...
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

*looks back at thread*

No one here has made any such comparison. That would be an extremely dry and inflammatory straw man you're punching.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

solicitr wrote:
It is my desire to see a world in which no one could even FORMULATE that comparison.
I think what we really desire to see is a world in which there is no extant country to which the comparison could be made...
Like I said, neither you nor I nor anyone here can do much about Belarus or North Korea. We can do a little bit about Saudi Arabia. But we can do something here to keep this a place worth admiring.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

axordil wrote:*looks back at thread*

No one here has made any such comparison. That would be an extremely dry and inflammatory straw man you're punching.
Yes, no Hitler comparisons (here), true. But what to make of thoughts like this:
We don't yet have a real authoritarian government, with black vans pulling up in the middle of the night to haul people away to nameless prisons full of prisoners held incommunicado, but we are a lot closer to it than you appear to realize. We have the nameless prisons now, and the prisoners held incommunicado. And the black vans. They just aren't coming for all of us yet.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

solicitr

Post by solicitr »

One only has to look at the video from the G8 protests (or any anti-Bush rally) to see that comparison being made a lot.