Radio Hoax Exposes Anti-Muslim Sentiment in U.S.

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Brian, thats a wonderful poem. And I admire your family.

Thats a good point V. I also found it very interesting that the key to the tomb of Jesus Christ is held by a Muslim, as has been the tradition since thousands of years. People need to learn from this one tradition.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

An interesting tidbit that I just learned is that the Quran that Rep. Ellison used for his swearing in was once owned by Thomas Jefferson.
Yes I heard about that. :) Interestingly that was one of the few pieces of news about US politics that actually bring a smiles on muslims faces when they read it. :D
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

I keep hearing about people saying Muslims don't speak up. On the local Christian network here, they actually have programming on the fundamentals of Islam. I think there are at least 2 programs that are Islam based and the air at times people can actually watch them.

Also starting tommorrow CBC is going to air a sitcom called... Little Mosque on the Prairie. Uh huh yep that's right a comedy about the growing Muslim population in the prairie provinces. I have seen some ads for it and well it's pretty funny. I have read some articles as some people are concerned it could cause controversy. I have only read a little bit on it, but it's set in a town called Mercy. That's just funny by itself. Here's hoping it does well and CBC orders more spisodes.
Little Mosque on the prairie
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Yeah I've seen the clips of Little mosque on the prairie. I liked them for one thing they don't classify all muslims as being all one way or the other but correctly show the wide spectrum of muslims. Also it helps raise awareness about the difficulties that muslims face in the west. I hope it'll be successful because there's a good chance it might simply become dull and boring after a while.
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

I saw the first ep and it was quite funny. There were lots of jokes about bombs and flying though but it dosen't seem to take itself too seriously so that is good. I think a sitcom is the perfect for people to get a chance to see regular muslims. They set up a secret mosque in the Mercy Anglican church. Their cover is one of the main characters contracting business. One potential customer comes in a sees them worshipping and calls the local toak radio saying he wanted his roof shingled and he finds a terrost cell!! (It was quite funny the way he said it). I'll go checke and see if there is any positive news on it.