GREETINGS to our Newest Members!

Greetings, and a guided tour for new members.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

We also like complex discussions so that V can have the pleasure of splitting posts into new threads. So, please go ahead. :D
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

:rotfl:

Yeah, but we love him anyway.
Besides, it keeps him out of trouble.

:love:

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

"Too many Fingolfins, not enough Sams."

Yes.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:kiss: (for both Mahima and Sassy)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Mahima wrote:We also like complex discussions so that V can have the pleasure of splitting posts into new threads. So, please go ahead. :D
That's on even-numbered days, Mahima.

On odd-numbered days I go into the threads and wrench them off-topic so Voronwë's got a fresh crop to split the next morning.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

So now I know the system!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Well, you know why I'm so busy, anyway.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:welcome: to our newest member, gormless burk.

Tell us something about yourself.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Welcome, gormless!

:welcome:

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

What an interesting screen name. It reminds me of something, but I can't think what.

Welcome, gormless!
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

Cerin, are you one of them Brits? You know, a Tommy. A Limey.

If you are, then you might know the term "gormless", which makes it into my Random House unabridged as a "casual use Britishism". But you have to be Scottish, I think, to know "burk." I sure didn't. Alys?

May god have mercy on our souls.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

I knew what both those words meant, and I'm curious to see how they will manage to be simultaneously descriptive of one person. ;)
Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I am quite familiar with both words. However, this brings up a question that has long, long puzzled me and kept me awake o' nights:

So "burk" is not the word which is usually spelled "berk" which is short for Berkshire Hunt which rhymes with you know what?

Do the Scots then use the word "burk" which is NOT "berk"? Or have they taken the word "berk", adapted it to their own use, and removed and/or ignored the naughty connotations?

I have a friend who is a "true Cockney" and he grew up doing the rhyming slang thing and it was he who first enlightened me on the word "berk" as it was used in his neck of the woods. Well, not woods, if you know what I mean. The East End of London, England, not London, Ont.

I knew Bristols, and I knew Apples and I knew Trouble, but I did not know "berk" until he told me.

Then I hear Scots say "burk" and I go all googly-eyed.
Dig deeper.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

*is thoroughly confused (in a thoroughly non-British way)*
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Welcome, gormless burk! :wave:

I am as confused as anyone here (as anyone here could tell you).
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

Not to worry, Cerin. It'll get worse.

"Gormless" comes from the Old Norse (so Tolkien would have known it well) gaumr, meaning "heed" or "notice". Thus, one who lacks a clue.

The "burk" root we are still looking into. The book that will tell me (Partridge) is in my room at school, and I'm not going there today.

I wonder if the derogatory American name "Gomer" is a derivative.

gormless twit
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

*is shocked at vison's language experience*

;)

I know "burk" as something rather harmless - and very much the same as "gormless". Which makes it quite easily simultaneously descriptive of one person.
So what I'm confused about is the confusion. :scratch:

Or maybe I'm turning British? :scarey:

(What bugs me is that I feel I remember where I first heard "gormless" but I don't really.)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

I know gormless (the word, not the poster)
Burk or Burke (bûrk) Pronunciation Key
American frontierswoman and legendary figure of the Wild West. Often dressed in men's clothing, she was reputed to be a crack shot and an expert rider.

:scratch:

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

"Too many Fingolfins, not enough Sams."

Yes.
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

Sassafras wrote:
Burk or Burke (bûrk) Pronunciation Key
American frontierswoman and legendary figure of the Wild West. Often dressed in men's clothing, she was reputed to be a crack shot and an expert rider.
I don't think so.
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
It's time to try defying gravity

Post by MaidenOfTheShieldarm »

Says my good friend the Oxford English Dictionary:
Berk

Also birk, burk(e. [Abbrev. of Berkeley (or Berkshire) Hunt, rhyming slang for [you know what].]

A fool.

1936 J. CURTIS Gilt Kid vi. 66 ‘The berk.’ Jealousy and savage contempt blended in the Gilt Kid's tone. 1938 W. GREENWOOD Only Mugs Work vii. 49 ‘Stick the burke in a taxi,’ he said. 1954 ‘N. BLAKE’ Whisper in Gloom II. xiv. 197 ‘Don't be a little berk,’ he said, as Foxy showed signs of recalcitrance. 1959 J. OSBORNE Paul Slickey I. iv, The Tories were burglars, berks and bloodlusters. 1960 H. PINTER Dumb Waiter in Birthday Party & other Plays 141 You mutt... You birk! 1963 Sunday Express 10 Mar. 22/5 All my mates thought I was a burk to try to break away: now they know they were the burks.
And it is said by the Eldar that in the water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the sea, and yet know not what for what they listen.
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

Thanks, Maiden. I couldn't have gotten to my OED until tomorrow. Well, that explains the name. How about the person? Nebraska? Explain yourself to the baby.