Radio Hoax Exposes Anti-Muslim Sentiment in U.S.

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

superwizard wrote:I encourage those who live in the bay area to come and see one of our activities especially during Islam Awareness Month (which will be in February).
Please keep us posted. Maybe I'll see you there. Then I'll be able to say, "May this be the day we draw pens together!" ;)
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:Thank you, S'wiz, for all that you are doing. I am very impressed. But also very frustrated that these efforts are not only downplayed by the media, but utterly overwhelmed by our government's propaganda.
V really I would be a fool not to be doing this. When over 30% of the population think you should carry some sort of 'special identification' you know that you are in trouble. I can only hope that our efforts will in time be seen by most people. I really wish there were more people like you V (and pretty much everyone in HOF) who are open minded enough to not just stereotype a billion people from the actions of so few.
If there's anything a freckled white Christian girl can do to help down here in Phoenix, let me know.
Anthy the best thing you could do is just know that Muslims are not all terrorists (frightfully few of us are in fact) and please correct people when they make such stereotypical judgements about muslims. If only everyone was like you Anthy...
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

narya wrote:
superwizard wrote:I encourage those who live in the bay area to come and see one of our activities especially during Islam Awareness Month (which will be in February).
Please keep us posted. Maybe I'll see you there. Then I'll be able to say, "May this be the day we draw pens together!" ;)
I'll definitely keep you posted narya! We really are working hard to make this happen and I'd love to see people from HOF there!
Angbasdil
The man, the myth, the monkey.

Post by Angbasdil »

Keep fighting the good fight, s-wiz! Strangely enough, as a Christian, I identify with your struggle. My own faith has been hijacked by radical intolerant fundamentalists who pervert its spiritual teachings to serve their own wordly agenda.
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Angbasdil wrote:Keep fighting the good fight, s-wiz! Strangely enough, as a Christian, I identify with your struggle. My own faith has been hijacked by radical intolerant fundamentalists who pervert its spiritual teachings to serve their own wordly agenda.
:hug:Yes that's exactly how I feel. It really is quite frustrating and maddening! You would think that developments in communication would have helped lessen these problems but it just seems to be adding fuel to the fire!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Good superwiz!! Am really glad you are doing this.

This is a problem I have with a lot of my Indian friends also - ALL Pakis are bad, ALL Muslims are bad... try telling them that they see us the same way, and this is where the root of the problem is. :(
I give them examples of my Muslim friends.... it never helps.

What I find lovely in India was this - both the govt.s have made great efforts to bridge the divide in recent years - and it has really helped. Cricket matches between India and Pak draw blood, usually - but in the last one when Pakistan hosted India - the media, the govt went all out to spread the message of peace! And it worked. It was the first cricket series I remember when there were no abused hurled, no sceners during matches. It was the first series where people had a pakistani flag and an Indian flag painted on each of their cheeks. In fact, the Pakistani people were grumbling that they were unable to get tickets because the authorities sold it to Indians on priority. For two countries, who have fought THREE wars, and the way India holds Pakistan responsible for terrorism - you have no idea what a big step this was. And the media and the govt, played a HUGE-HUGE part. Which is why I agree that the current American govt and the media is largely to blame for 30% wanting tattoos (choke!!)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

I agree Mahima. I have many Indian friends and I also know quite a lot of Pakistanis that have really close Indian friends especially here at Stanford. I really see hope for the Indian Pakistani conflict which seems to be healing over time. I'm so glad to know your helping to erase these awful stereotypes!
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

superwizard wrote: Also how can we get people to dissociate Islam and terrorism if there are people like Bush who use words like Islamo-Fascism?
Personally, I do not think that the term ‘Islamo-Fascism’, when applied to Muslim extremists, is that inappropriate.

I agree with Axordil upthread, btw – real tolerance will come from exposure and personal experience. There is no real way to bring this about, though, although actions like Superwizard’s event would be a great start.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Learning is not a passive experience. You have to go out and Learn.

I am always glad to hear of young people setting out on world travels. They will get Montezuma's Revenge in Kuala Lumpor (whatever the local version is), they will get leeches on their legs swimming in remote rivers, and they will see the people they see as People, fellow humans.

Maybe things would be different if G. W. Bush had spent some of his young years hitchhiking in Europe, instead of securely in his little WASP world of privilege and wealth.
Dig deeper.
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Personally, I do not think that the term ‘Islamo-Fascism’, when applied to Muslim extremists, is that inappropriate.
Well there are several problems with it Lord M. There actually is a very nice article about it by Patrick J. Buchanan :
http://buchanan.org/blog/?p=75
Also apart from the points he raises there is also the problem of people starting to associate Islam with Fascism. At this time I doubt that using such vocabulary would be the best way to convince people that Islam is a religion of peace.
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

S'wiz, I'd also like to see what you all come up with for Islam Awareness Month. I'd very much like to learn more about Islam's tenets as well. I had no idea you were Muslim - thanks for sharing that :)

I agree with all those who say that in breaking down stereotypes, it is particularly important to live near and know members of a given group. For instance, unfortunately I do not presently have any Muslim friends - not on purpose, but because I don't seem to have gotten to know many well for whatever reason. So, although I oppose discrimination against Muslims and am absolutely - absolutely - outraged that anyone would think of making ANY group in this country carry special identification a la WWII...I know that I don't feel that with the same intensity as I would if I had Muslim friends. I think that the most important thing is for the majority of Muslims in America, the peace-loving folks who don't support terrorism any more than the rest of us, to be as visible as possible and to dialogue with as many people as possible. (my general philosophy for any minority group that wants to better its present standing) So, what is of especial concern to me is when Muslim Americans' efforts to do just that are not given sufficient attention or are not deemed newsworthy. :(
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Nel I'd love to help you understand more about Islam. :) I agree that having friends of a certain religion would definitely help understand that religion a lot better. I will definitely try keep everyone here updated about our project. We are of course still in the very early stages of planning it and even the theme has not been finalized yet (we can't find the proper wording for it).
unfortunately I do not presently have any Muslim friends -
You have one now :)
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Lord M--

In the case of (for an example) African-Americans, it really took Truman integrating the military to start the ball rolling. That was in, what, 1948? And we're still working on it. These things are painfully slow, the work of generations, and it sucks to be on the patient end of it.

I would like to think that the more generally diverse a society becomes, the quicker the process for each group that is accepted, but I may be an optimist.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Yes, these things can be depressingly slow. Take anti-Semitism, for example – the Jews have lived in western society for centuries, and are still on the receiving end of racism. As it stands now, with there being no real legal barriers to integration, I imagine it is just going to take work and patience.
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

It is a slow evolution but hopefully what we do today will help.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Good luck for your activities today, s_wiz
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Um ... as a member of the st00pfid media, I must point out that the moderate Muslims speaking out against extremism are not being locked out of coverage. Personally, I have published quite a few columns about the struggle of mainstream Muslims to reclaim their faith (most written by Muslims).

We also often publish letters written by local Muslims decrying religious-based violence. And within days we always receive letters from people saying that moderate Muslims NEVER speak out against terrorism. :roll:

Being in the newspaper business for 28 years has convinced me that readers only remember what makes them mad. That's why in a single day two callers will complain that (1) we never publish anything by liberals and (2) we never publish anything by conservatives.

By the way, that radio host used to work here as the only liberal voice on an otherwise all-conservative talk station. Glad to see he's still stirring things up.

S'wiz, I'm sure you are changing attitudes simply by your presence where you live and work. And I'm very glad you're here.
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

I miss Jerry Klein.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

WampusCat wrote:Being in the newspaper business for 28 years has convinced me that readers only remember what makes them mad. That's why in a single day two callers will complain that (1) we never publish anything by liberals and (2) we never publish anything by conservatives.
There is that..... we usually get what we ask for, and then we usually remember what we wish to. :(
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Um ... as a member of the st00pfid media, I must point out that the moderate Muslims speaking out against extremism are not being locked out of coverage. Personally, I have published quite a few columns about the struggle of mainstream Muslims to reclaim their faith (most written by Muslims).

Well, I'm glad your paper is doing so well being balanced with its reporting, Wampus. I think your readers are pretty lucky.

Here in Phoenix, I looked for the coverage of that peace rally in our paper and found it two days after the event reported in the "happenings" section... where generally are found announcements of big church celebrations or society parties or things of that nature. It sure wasn't headline news, and the choice of when and where it was reported was made by the print media.

Now there's something I DIDN'T read that made me mad. :) Hard to please, we readers, aren't we?