The Murder of George Floyd and the Response To It

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: The Murder of George Floyd and the Response To It

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

This is important to remember.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

New York City has settled with more than 1,300 people who filed a class-action lawsuit alleging that police violated their rights during civil rights protests in May-June 2020 at eighteen locations in Brooklyn and Manhattan. The city will pay each of them nearly $10,000, for a total cost of $13.7 million.

Here is one of the examples cited in the lawsuit:
On the evening of June 2, 2020, Sabrina Zurkuhlen joined a protest march on the West Side Highway that was spurred by the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis eight days earlier.

When marchers were confronted by a line of police officers that stretched across the highway near Vesey Street, Ms. Zurkuhlen, 33, began walking backward while recording with her phone, according to a class-action lawsuit in which she was a plaintiff. An officer pointed at her, the lawsuit said, lunged at her, knocked the phone from her hands and began striking her with a baton as he tackled her.

The lawsuit, filed in Federal District Court in Manhattan, said other officers beat and kicked Ms. Zurkuhlen and that she was handcuffed and held in custody for about eight and a half hours before being issued a summons for a curfew violation. That summons was later dismissed, the suit said, adding that she never recovered her phone.
Earlier this year, the city settled another lawsuit filed by protesters, agreeing to pay $21,500 each to 320 protesters who were subject to abusive police tactics in the Bronx on June 4, 2020, for a total of $6.9 million.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Not George Floyd but another murder some felt would never see resolution/justice: Tupac Shakur Murder: Police took items from home of witness to shooting, warrant shows
My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Speaking of the NYC police, I missed this story a couple weeks ago:

New York Mayor Eric Adams "claimed he carried around a photo of an officer friend who died in the line of duty in 1987. It turns out the picture was printed off Google by aides in the wake of the mayor's claim and stained with coffee to make it look older."
Voronwë the Faithful

N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:19 pm Speaking of the NYC police, I missed this story a couple weeks ago:

New York Mayor Eric Adams "claimed he carried around a photo of an officer friend who died in the line of duty in 1987. It turns out the picture was printed off Google by aides in the wake of the mayor's claim and stained with coffee to make it look older."
I saw that story, but I'm not sure what has to do with the subject of this thread, other than that Adams is black. :scratch:
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:21 pm
N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:19 pm Speaking of the NYC police, I missed this story a couple weeks ago:

I saw that story, but I'm not sure what has to do with the subject of this thread, other than that Adams is black. :scratch:
Nothing to do with Adams's race. I had just posted yesterday about New York City having settled two lawsuits this year for more than $20 million with 1,600 people whose rights were violated by New York City police during 2020 protests that followed upon the murder of George Floyd. He's not only the mayor who presumably had to approve those payouts (to be clear: he was not the mayor at the time of the protests), but he's also a former New York police officer himself, and he regularly burnishes his law-and-order credentials. I have suggested repeatedly since he was running for the mayoralty in 2022 that he's a bit of a fraud and fabulist. I wished to contrast New York essentially admitting to police brutality with New York's mayor going so far to praise police that he apparently made up a story about a dead former colleague on the force. The New York Times wrote in 2021 that Adams's relationship with the police department is "complicated"; I wonder how much of that article is even true. Did he really have a higher GPA in the police academy than the man who beat him out of the class valedictorian position, as he claims? Although the most striking part of that article may be this:
As he skewered the Police Department, Mr. Adams was also investigated four times by it.

Investigators examined his relationships with the boxer Mike Tyson, who was convicted of rape in 1992, and Omowale Clay, a Black activist who had been convicted of federal firearms violations. Police officers are forbidden from knowingly associating with people involved in crime.

The department also investigated a Black police officer’s report that Mr. Adams and others in 100 Blacks had harassed him. Investigators could not prove Mr. Adams violated department rules.

Mr. Adams and the group sued the department, accusing it of violating their civil rights by using wiretaps during the Clay and the harassment investigations. The suit was dismissed by a judge who called the wiretapping accusations “baseless.” (The department had obtained telephone records.)

“You do an analysis of my Internal Affairs Bureau investigations, you’ll see they all come out with the same thing,” Mr. Adams said. “Eric did nothing wrong.”
Huh. Someone in government wrongly accusing law enforcement of tapping his phones. It's not a perfect parallel, but who does that remind you of?
Voronwë the Faithful

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

What a horrible, horrible thing. I'm glad the officers have been charged but I wish such things would never happen in the first place.
My heart is forever in the Shire.