The all too early Season Two thread (possible spoilers)

For discussion of Amazon's new television show "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power"
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Re: The all too early Season Two thread (possible spoilers)

Post by Eldy »

Dave_LF wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:50 pmThe below is a (potential) future spoiler, not an S1 spoiler:
Hidden text.
That reddit thread V shared earlier that was written before E1 was released with info from someone claiming to be involved in the production wound up being too specifically correct about too many things to be lucky guesses, and it claimed that Adar would eventually be revealed to be Galadriel's brother. If that's true, we presumably still have a decent amount of time to spend with the character.

Edit: Reread and what it actually says is that Adar MAY BE Galadriel's brother.
Hidden text.
I recall that post, although I'd forgotten some of the specifics, including that it both says Adar may be Galadriel's brother and that (as S1 stated) he was one of the first Elves captured and turned into Orcs. The two concepts are plainly incompatible, even in ROP's continuity, but I'm inclined to think the backstory given for Adar in S1E6 was accurate.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Hidden text.
The person didn't write that Adar was Galadriel's brother. What they wrote was "he may be Galadriel's brother."
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Hidden text.
Indeed, that's why I used that exact phrasing in my post. ;) And is part of the reason I don't think it's the case, even though that leak proved legitimate.
Voronwë the Faithful

So you did. :)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Eldy wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:43 pm https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... 235273164/

The role of Adar has been recast—he's now played by Sam Hazeldine—and six other new cast members for Season 2 were also announced today. Embedded tweets with photos are in the spoiler box below.

Hidden text.

Should be some interesting characterizations for S2! Now to figure out who is portraying what character...

Frelga wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:24 pm Cue the predictable meltdown at the sight of non-white cast members.
Screenshot_20220927-094812.png
I should go peek in at Tolkien Forums and see if the typical rants have developed over this yet. :rotfl:
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Snowdog wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:45 pmI should go peek in at Tolkien Forums and see if the typical rants have developed over this yet. :rotfl:
:help:
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

More new cast members:

‘The Lord Of The Rings: The Rings Of Power’ Adds 8 To Season 2 Cast - Deadline
The Lord of the Rings: The Rings Of Power has added eight additional recurring cast members for the upcoming second season of the Prime Video series. Oliver Alvin-Wilson (The Bay), Stuart Bowman (The Pact), Gavi Singh Chera (The Undeclared War), William Chubb (Vampire Academy), Kevin Eldon (Game of Thrones), Will Keen (Ridley Road), Selina Lo (Boss Level), and Calam Lynch (Bridgerton) join the series, which is currently in production on Season 2 in the UK.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

I suppose if I squint my eyes enough, I can see a resemblance.

I do think it is interesting that there are so many new cast members. Who are these characters? Are they people that Tolkien described, or completely newly invented characters?
Voronwë the Faithful

Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

I wonder if they'll finally show Durin's children's faces in S2. :P I'm still not sure why they went to such (sometimes awkwardly contrived) lengths to avoid depicting their upper bodies onscreen in S1. My best guess is someone decided beards on children was too unsettling.

Voronwë the Faithful

I'd guess not. And despite the title of that article, it doesn't really reveal much about how Durin’s Defense of Elrond will Impact Rings Of Power Season 2, does it?
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

This was an interesting read, especially with the numbers that determine whether S1 was a success.
The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power started setting records before a frame of it had been released when word came out of New Zealand last year that its eight-episode first season cost a record $465 million to produce (not factoring in tax rebates and start-up costs amortization.)

In an interview with Deadline, Vernon Sanders, Head of Global TV for Amazon Studios, says the financial bet “has more than paid off.” He addresses the success of the show on Prime Video — where it broke records for most global viewers in its first day (25 million) and overall (more than 100 million), for minutes streamed (24 billion) and signups worldwide during its launch window, attracted younger viewers (record number of adults 18-34 for a Prime Video original) and affluent audiences (40% coming from households with income greater than $100,000) — and beyond, boosting Amazon’s sales of J.R.R. Tolkien books on which the series was based.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Bonkers Rings of Power S2 rumour: a wild Tom Bombadil appears? - TORn

I have a hard time believing this one, but maybe I just don't want to. :spin:
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Don't we all, Eldy! :toast:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't see any reason why Tom could not be there.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Tom for RoP 2023!
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

2023? We won’t be getting any RoP in 2023, right?

But yes, Tom would be good, and I agree with the article- he would fit oh well with Nori & the Stranger.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

From Otaku-sempai at TORN, citing Fellowship of Fans:
Fellowship of Fans has a couple of leaks involving Narvi the Dwarven Smith and Celebrimbor in a new video. EXCLUSIVE: Season 2 TOLKIEN CHARACTER Revealed For Rings Of Power.

At 01:00:
EXCLUSIVE: 'NARVI' is
a Dwarven character
listed in the production for
'THE RINGS OF POWER'
Seaon 2. His code name
is 'ROLM'.
Starting at 16:06:
In Season 1 when Celebrimbor
and Elrond reach the door
of Khazad-dûm, Celebrimbor
was meant to enter with
Elrond and have an
extended storyline in
the Dwarven kingdom.
Continuing at 16:29:
Due to the Cele recasting
and the amount of scale
work needed in reshoots
when Charles came aboard
this was ultimately scrapped
-- Logistical reasons.
So, Narvi is in Season 2 though we don't yet know which actor is playing him.
Voronwë the Faithful