2022 U.S. Congressional (and Other) Elections

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
N.E. Brigand

Re: 2022 U.S. Congressional (and Other) Elections

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:16 am I also appreciated Marshall's thoughts on the latest story about Mehmet Oz, the Republican running to be the next U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania (sort of):

"Someone needs to tell Dr. Oz that they might torture dogs in Jersey but that doesn’t fly in PA."

Earlier reports about Oz's work having resulted in needless animal deaths seemed more reflective of the dark side of medical research generally and not necessarily specific to his activities, but the mistreatment described in this article seems to go beyond that, and apparently resulted in Columbia University paying a fine to the USDA.
New reporting: three weeks ago, Dr. Oz called up his former research advisor and asked him to put out a statement blaming someone else for the deaths of 661 rodent and rabbits, 31 pigs, and 329 dogs in the clinical trials he ran.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

An advertisement from the Democratic Party:

Now it's true that Democrats have certainly not been on the side of freedom at all points in U.S. history! But they have been for my entire lifetime.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:09 pm Republicans in Wisconsin are promising to kill democracy in that state:
Hinting at his plans to overhaul how elections are run, the Republican running for governor of Wisconsin this week said his party would permanently control the state if he wins. "Republicans will never lose another election in Wisconsin after I'm elected governor," construction executive Tim Michels told supporters Monday at a campaign stop.
It's very depressing.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:24 pm Bernie Sanders very much wants those corporate Democrats to win.
I'm sure he does. Trouble is a lot of the 'Bernie Bros' like my brother think internal party politics is more important than the completion of a fascist takeover.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Hyper focus can ruin the Big Picture.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Snowdog wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:03 am
N.E. Brigand wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:24 pm Bernie Sanders very much wants those corporate Democrats to win.
I'm sure he does. Trouble is a lot of the 'Bernie Bros' like my brother think internal party politics is more important than the completion of a fascist takeover.
I don't see much separation between Bernie Sanders and the "Bernie Bros" and I continue to believe that Sanders more than any other person is responsible for Donald Trump's election and all that it has led to.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

A coworker today, well into her 30s, said that she's never voted in a midterm before but definitely will be doing so this year.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Republican Senator Mike Lee of Utah: "It will be my objective to phase out Social Security. To pull it up by the roots and get rid of it." (source)
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

This clownish character is very likely to be the next U.S. Senator from Ohio:

Voronwë the Faithful

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

If you're going pander, you still have to do it right:

Meanwhile, at the other end of Pennsylvania:

Voronwë the Faithful

This sounds encouraging so far as it goes and 538 did make a small adjustment towards the Democrats in both the House and Senate but we'll see.

Voronwë the Faithful

Voronwë the Faithful

This is from John Ralston, who is supposed to be the guru of Nevada politics.

Crystal ball says Cortez Masto hangs on, Sisolak doesn’t and Dems retain two of three House seats

That would be very good news for the Democrats in terms of keeping the Senate, as Cortez Masto is probably the most threatened Democratic incumbent Senator (other than perhaps Warnock).
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

In Cobb County, Georgia, more than 1,000 absentee ballots weren't mailed out to voters due to a clerical error. A number of those folks rectified the error on their own, but the 275 or so who haven't will have ballots overnighted them today. They have to complete and mail them back postmarked by tomorrow, and as long as they arrive by next Monday, they will count.
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Got some microwave popcorn and am ready to sit back and watch the USA shit themselves red again.
At least it won't take me by surprise like it did back in 2016. Back then I thought people knew better.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Snowdog, how are you feeling as an American watching this from afar?
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Well, here's how Canada's best known daily paper views the election:

The Globe usually takes a conservative slant on things.

Outlandish conspiracism at front and centre of U.S. midterm elections https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/u ... _xvCFShaEw

Heh. Didn't know 'conspiracism' was a noun... :roll:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

As good as a pre-election summary as any: