Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

The jury vote wasn't about whether to hold Jones liable; that had already been determined based on a default judgment. It qas only about how much to award. I would guess the 2 holdouts thought it should be a different amount, probably less.

X-posted with N.E.B.
A great tree may outlive many a Man, and may remember the seed from which it came ere all the Men that now walk the earth were yet unborn, but the rind upon which you lay your hand, and the leaves which overshadow you, are not as that seed was, nor as the dry wood shall be that decays into the mould or passes in flame. And other trees there are that stand about each different in growth and in shape, according to the chances of their lives, though all be akin, offspring of one yet older tree and sprung therefore from a single seed of long ago.
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Dangweth Pengolod

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:29 am The jury vote wasn't about whether to hold Jones liable; that had already been determined based on a default judgment. It qas only about how much to award. I would guess the 2 holdouts thought it should be a different amount, probably less.

X-posted with N.E.B.
Ah, that makes more sense.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

Maybe the two holdouts actually wanted to hold him liable for more:

A jury finds Infowars conspiracy theorist Alex Jones should pay $45.2 million in punitive damages to the parents of a Sandy Hook shooting victim

I expect that the judge will reduce the award, but that certainly sends quite the message.
A great tree may outlive many a Man, and may remember the seed from which it came ere all the Men that now walk the earth were yet unborn, but the rind upon which you lay your hand, and the leaves which overshadow you, are not as that seed was, nor as the dry wood shall be that decays into the mould or passes in flame. And other trees there are that stand about each different in growth and in shape, according to the chances of their lives, though all be akin, offspring of one yet older tree and sprung therefore from a single seed of long ago.

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea
Location: Small drinking village with a severe fishing problem

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:31 am
I expect that the judge will reduce the award, but that certainly sends quite the message.
Given how exasperated the judge sounded dealing with him, I'd love to think she wouldn't.

I'm more curious whether there will be any legal repercussions for his proven, repeated perjury.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

If my understanding of Texas law is correct, she probably does not have discretion not to.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

There are two more trials to go, one of which is in Connecticut. I wonder if the lawyers in those trials can get access to the same information that was "accidentally" released in this one.
His philosophy was a mixture of three famous schools -- the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans -- and summed up all three of them in his famous phrase, 'You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink."

Terry Pratchett, Small Gods
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:31 am Maybe the two holdouts actually wanted to hold him liable for more:

A jury finds Infowars conspiracy theorist Alex Jones should pay $45.2 million in punitive damages to the parents of a Sandy Hook shooting victim

OMG. Just heard about this. Wow.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:31 am Maybe the two holdouts actually wanted to hold him liable for more:

Considering the sizable income he has pouring in from his toxic lies, the payouts should be HUGE in order to be a deterrent/send a message. I've read he takes in something like $800,000 per day on merchandise (who is buying this shit?) and he is getting hundreds of thousands in donations and also a $1 million anonymous donation.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

Here is the Texas law capping the amount of exemplary damages (which is another term for punitive damages:
Sec. 41.008. LIMITATION ON AMOUNT OF RECOVERY. (a) In an action in which a claimant seeks recovery of damages, the trier of fact shall determine the amount of economic damages separately from the amount of other compensatory damages.

(b) Exemplary damages awarded against a defendant may not exceed an amount equal to the greater of:

(1)(A) two times the amount of economic damages; plus

(B) an amount equal to any noneconomic damages found by the jury, not to exceed $750,000; or

(2) $200,000.

(c) This section does not apply to a cause of action against a defendant from whom a plaintiff seeks recovery of exemplary damages based on conduct described as a felony in the following sections of the Penal Code if, except for Sections 49.07 and 49.08, the conduct was committed knowingly or intentionally:

(1) Section 19.02 (murder);

(2) Section 19.03 (capital murder);

(3) Section 20.04 (aggravated kidnapping);

(4) Section 22.02 (aggravated assault);

(5) Section 22.011 (sexual assault);

(6) Section 22.021 (aggravated sexual assault);

(7) Section 22.04 (injury to a child, elderly individual, or disabled individual, but not if the conduct occurred while providing health care as defined by Section 74.001 of this code);

(8) Section 32.21 (forgery);

(9) Section 32.43 (commercial bribery);

(10) Section 32.45 (misapplication of fiduciary property or property of financial institution);

(11) Section 32.46 (fraudulent securing of document execution);

(12) Section 32.47 (fraudulent destruction, removal, or concealment of writing);

(13) Chapter 31 (theft) the punishment level for which is a felony of the third degree or higher;

(14) Section 49.07 (intoxication assault);

(15) Section 49.08 (intoxication manslaughter);

(16) Section 21.02 (continuous sexual abuse of young child or disabled individual); or

(17) Chapter 20A (trafficking of persons).
Since all of the compensatory damages awarded were non-economic, and the conduct does not fall under any of the exceptions, the $45.2 million is probably going to have to be reduced to $750,000, unless there is something that I am missing. As I understand it the jury is not allowed to be told about the cap, but that seems to be a ridiculous way of doing things.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Hopefully the CT case will take him to the cleaners.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Do we even need any other threads in this forum?

This is one of my random internet finds. Since I don't follow Alaskan politics, I can only speculate. But I suspect that Kelly Tshibaka, the Trump-endorsed Republican challenger, decided to campaign under her first name to draw attention away from her non-Anglo last name. Which may be nibbling on her posterior now.

Also, it's Buzz Kelley, not Kelly.
20220807_093839.jpg
20220807_093839.jpg (128.72 KiB) Viewed 92 times
His philosophy was a mixture of three famous schools -- the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans -- and summed up all three of them in his famous phrase, 'You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink."

Terry Pratchett, Small Gods
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Look how the Republican running to be Ohio's next U.S. senator described Jones just 11 months ago: