Nature Pics

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Nature Pics

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

That definitely counts as a nature pic! A beautiful one, at that! I love clouds!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Thanks, Voronwë! :) The scenery in my neighborhood isn't much to look at unless you really like single-family detached homes, but every now and then we get some pretty nice sunsets. This pic is from last September; unfortunately, I hadn't brought my phone with me, and in the time it took me to run back inside and grab it the sky had become noticeably less vibrant. I almost left my phone at home this evening, but fortunately I decided at the last minute to bring it, and was able to take the picture on the previous page.

(I have no idea why that one house had its Christmas lights up three months early.)
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Lovely. Definitely nature in my book.

Maybe those are Halloween lights? I see a lot of people putting those up these days.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

If that is noticeably less vibrant it must have been truly spectacular indeed!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

What lovely skies!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

:)
RoseMorninStar wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:10 amMaybe those are Halloween lights? I see a lot of people putting those up these days.
Could be! My current neighborhood doesn't have anything like the trick-or-treating scene from where I grew up, but people around here do get pretty into Halloween decorating.
Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:39 amIf that is noticeably less vibrant it must have been truly spectacular indeed!
I had never seen anything like it. The entire sky was lit up in that gorgeous pink, but just a few minutes later there were much larger grey shadows on the clouds to the west, and the eastern sky, while still illuminated, was looking comparatively washed out.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Urban animals:

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Wow! Not something you see around these parts... ever!
Voronwë the Faithful

Wow!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Don't see those around here. :D Although SF had a flock of tropical parrots, formed from descendants of escaped pets. Made for a nice, "wait, is it?"moment.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

It's warm enough in SF for tropical birds to overwinter? :shock:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Or the parrots (red-headed conures) are hardy enough.

What are the Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

*does climate googling*

Oh. It doesn't actually freeze in SF, does it?

It must be ocean currents keeping it warm because it's almost as far north as I am, and we get down to -10F/ -23C sometimes.

OK, wild tropical birds make sense.
Voronwë the Faithful

Maria wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:01 pm Oh. It doesn't actually freeze in SF, does it?
Only in the summer (particularly at the old Candlestick Park).
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

There are actually wild parrots in Hampstead, London. I thought I was seeing wrong until I looked it up, and found that it was actually a known thing.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Oh! Those are beautiful birds! :love:
ring necked parakeets.png
ring necked parakeets.png (776.59 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2021/ ... 0in%202012.

And I found this about the London climate:
Climate and Average Weather Year Round in London United Kingdom
In London, the summers are short, comfortable, and partly cloudy and the winters are long, very cold, windy, and mostly cloudy. Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 39°F to 74°F and is rarely below 30°F or above 84°F.
If the water isn't crystallizing, then it doesn't qualify as "very cold" in my opinion. :P
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

This swan is from Salisbury. There are little canals criss-crossing all over the place, and this swan was swimming in a canal that ran along the path, and then got out and started to walk along with the other pedestrians. Not phased at all by all the people around him/her.
SalisburySwan.jpg
SalisburySwan.jpg (386.76 KiB) Viewed 1061 times
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Many parrots can live in colder climates than one night think especially if they have shelter. What they cannot take is a sudden change in temperature or drafts. A bird cage should never be placed near a door to the outside.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I keep saying I will stop photographing our urban deer, but what are you going to do when a mom with two babies marches along the sidewalk just ahead of you for two blocks?
PXL_20220624_210045312~2.jpg
PXL_20220624_210045312~2.jpg (68.26 KiB) Viewed 1050 times

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

😍 Don't stop on my account! I love photos of wildlife. And urbanlife

I'm away from home for a few days and can't seem to post photos from my phone. I'll post some when I return home.