Media previews

For discussion of Amazon's new television show "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power"
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Re: Media previews

Post by Eldy »

I definitely agree it would be strange for Círdan not to show up since they're including an Elvish maritime tradition. It's not my intention to write over the accomplishments of the Teleri—especially since I'm realizing that it slipped my mind earlier that Voronwë (the textual one :P) was half-Teler himself.
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Eldy wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:56 pm Seeing the more fantastical, less obviously in terminal decline world of the Second Age is one of the things I'm most looking forward to about the show. I'm glad they're retaining that element of the texts. Though the addition of an "almost"(?) colonial Elvish thalassocracy is an ... interesting decision. Curious to see what that looks like in practice.
The Second Age Noldor do come across as semi-colonial in some texts (mainly Galadriel and Celeborn and its ancillary material), or at the very least the Sindar/Nandor/other elves view them that way. So there is some basis for it. Though of course it's land-based, and moving it to sea risks overlapping too much with Númenor's colonialism.
Hidden text.
They're not officially allowed to use Galadriel and Celeborn but who knows how much wiggle room they have behind the scenes.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Galadriel is one of the main characters in the show??

ETA: Oh you mean the text.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

kzer_za wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:55 amThe Second Age Noldor do come across as semi-colonial in some texts (mainly Galadriel and Celeborn and its ancillary material), or at the very least the Sindar/Nandor/other elves view them that way. So there is some basis for it. Though of course it's land-based, and moving it to sea risks overlapping too much with Númenor's colonialism.
Yeah, it's the seafaring part that gives me pause. As I said in an earlier post, the mention of Second Age colonialism is what makes me suspect Howe was referring to the Noldor, since they seem the most likely to do that. Fëanor's sales pitch for the Rebellion was explicitly colonial, and the Noldor's behavior in Beleriand bore that out. The colonial dream didn't die after the War of Wrath, not for those who refused to return to Valinor. In fairness, the Second Age Sindar were in turn pretty colonial towards the Silvan Elves—or at least, that's one interpretation of the (re)founding of Lórinand, Eryn Galen, and possibly Dorwinion. But a progression of peoples, each in turn being colonial to those they perceive as lesser than them, is hardly unrealistic.
kzer_za wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:55 amThey're not officially allowed to use Galadriel and Celeborn but who knows how much wiggle room they have behind the scenes.
I really wish they'd speak frankly about what they can use, since they're clearly not actually limited to just LOTR (or else they were willing to violate their contract when releasing promotional material), but given the level of secrecy Amazon has maintained I'm not holding my breath.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

There is some kind of odd concordat between Amazon and the Tolkien Estate, or so it seems to me.
A great tree may outlive many a Man, and may remember the seed from which it came ere all the Men that now walk the earth were yet unborn, but the rind upon which you lay your hand, and the leaves which overshadow you, are not as that seed was, nor as the dry wood shall be that decays into the mould or passes in flame. And other trees there are that stand about each different in growth and in shape, according to the chances of their lives, though all be akin, offspring of one yet older tree and sprung therefore from a single seed of long ago.
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Dangweth Pengolod

Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Agreed, that seems to be the case. I just wish we knew the details of it. :P