The Wheel of Time TV Series

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: The Wheel of Time TV Series

Post by Alatar »

I didn't buy them to read on my honeymoon. I bought them on honeymoon to read when I got home. :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Alatar wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:15 am I didn't buy them to read on my honeymoon. I bought them on honeymoon to read when I got home. :)
:shock: :roll: It's 'Bought', not 'Brought' ... I do need new glasses... bloody ageing... :rofl:
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Snowdog wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:34 am
I watched the trailer and as I have no preconceived thoughts on Wheel of Time since I never got past te 1st book, my wife has read the whole series and said it was crap, so unless I want to waste some of my solo TV watching time on it, I doubt it will get watched.

If she thought it was crap why did she read the whole series???
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Jude wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:31 am
Snowdog wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:34 am
I watched the trailer and as I have no preconceived thoughts on Wheel of Time since I never got past te 1st book, my wife has read the whole series and said it was crap, so unless I want to waste some of my solo TV watching time on it, I doubt it will get watched.

If she thought it was crap why did she read the whole series???
'It' as in the trailer was crap. She didn't think much of the books either, but she has this 'rule' where if she reads a book of a series, she will see it through to the end. Me, not so much.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Snowdog wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:02 pm She didn't think much of the books either, but she has this 'rule' where if she reads a book of a series, she will see it through to the end. Me, not so much.[/size]
:shock: I could never stick to that rule! There are soooooo many crap series out there in the world. I've dropped out of more series than I've finished, probably.

And I've dropped out of Wheel of Time twice now. :blackeye: I gave it another try a decade later and got through several of the books.... but then decided it was getting too predictable (and possibly plagiarized) and neglected to buy the next book. I absolutely hate watching a TV version of a book while the book is still fresh on my mind, so it's just as well I've already forgotten most of it.
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Maria wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:18 pm
Snowdog wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:02 pm She didn't think much of the books either, but she has this 'rule' where if she reads a book of a series, she will see it through to the end. Me, not so much.[/size]
:shock: I could never stick to that rule! There are soooooo many crap series out there in the world. I've dropped out of more series than I've finished, probably.
I'm right with you there. I subscribe to the 'Why waste time on crap' line of thinking with these books, and also did with the Ice & Fire too, and TV shows. I may watch some of the series and see if it grabs me or not
--Bilbo Baggins
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Very long article but well worth reading. LotR mentioned also.

https://www.gq.com/story/inside-amazons ... -dtuKBodhQ
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Maria wrote: :shock: I could never stick to that rule! There are soooooo many crap series out there in the world. I've dropped out of more series than I've finished, probably.
I could never stick to that, either. It's not like a book is some cursed object that you can't put down once you touch it, unless you read it through. :D

I have once set myself a goal of reading through an entire library shelf of fiction. Which was when I discovered how much of that fiction was crap, and how much I didn't care for half of the rest. :blackeye:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

https://www.tor.com/2021/11/15/welcome- ... mayeR3kXDo

This could as easily have been posted in the Tolkien forum. Sound familiar anyone? :)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Two episodes in. So far, so good. Feels more LotR than Game of Thrones in tone, but doesn't feel as high end as either of those despite the $10m per episode price tag. Since Amazon are making the LotR series as well as this one, and they even share directors for some episodes, its definitely worth watching even if you're just concerned about the LotR series. That said, I think its a good adaptation in its own right. It's over 25 years since I read the books but it feels like they're hitting all the main beats so far.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Alatar wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:39 am It's over 25 years since I read the books but it feels like they're hitting all the main beats so far.
With metronome precision. I'm two episodes in, too, and am starting to wonder if it will work for those who haven't read the books. When you are hitting all the high points so fast, is there really a compelling plot left? They are much farther along after the second episode than I thought they could be.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Have to call out this scene. Forget your Game of Thrones “sexposition”. This is a superb acting performance by Rosamund Pike, and probably the most Lord of the Rings style scene. Would love to have seen Viggo get a 4 minute sequence to tell the Tale of Tinúviel, but that’s where TV gives you time to breathe.

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

That's a great example of exposing the backstory. It would have made a great prelude to the Weathertop Scene.

Since I haven't read the books, I have to ask: did she really say "In the time of the trollop wars..."?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Trolloc. The orcs of Wheel of Time.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

That's a bit of disappointment...
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Alatar wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:02 pm Trolloc. The orcs of Wheel of Time.
Quite Uruk-Hai-ish they are. Just slap a white hand on them...
I'm enjoying the series for what it is. I haven't read the books past the first one, so will put up with my wife's commentary
(she read the whole series) along the way. :sunny:
--Bilbo Baggins
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well Episode 4 was excellent. I'm liking this a lot.