The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Perhael

The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim

Post by Perhael »

https://deadline.com/2021/06/lord-of-th ... 234773024/

Quote: "The J.R.R. Tolkien franchise is heading back to the big screen in a fresh New Line and Warner Animation anime title The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim. I’m told that the Oscar-winning feature architects Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh are not involved with the project as we speak, but that will be determined down the road. Oscar-winning Lord of the Rings: Return of the King scribe Philippa Boyens will be a consultant on the new project directed by Kenji Kamiyama. The pic is being fast-tracked with animation work done by Sola Entertainment. Voice casting is currently underway. Pic will be distributed around the globe by Warner Bros. Pictures.

The War of the Rohirrim focuses on a character from the book’s appendix, the mighty King of Rohan, Helm Hammerhand, and a legendary battle which helped shaped Middle-earth heading into LOTR. The anime pic will expand the untold story behind the fortress of Helm’s Deep, delving into the life and bloodsoaked times of Hammerhand. Overall, the movie is a companion piece to New Line’s LOTR trilogy and is set roughly 250 years before that movie during the third age (Note Amazon’s upcoming Lord of the Rings mini-series is set during the second age)."
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Wow! Did not see that coming
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

And don't see me going. :D
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

:rofl:
Frelga wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:50 pm And don't see me going. :D
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Hey, I'll watch it!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Perhael

Post by Perhael »

I haven't been to the movies in years. I'll wait and see how the LOTRwebiverse feels about it, then if the Group Consensus is largely positive, buy the DVD release.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I just don't see how it's Tolkien. There's barely an idea of a story in the appendices, it's going to be as much Tolkien as Tolkien is Kalevala.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Voronwë the Faithful

Actually, of anything in the appendices, Helm's story is the most fleshed out (other than Aragorn's).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Hm
Are you saying that just because I don't remember it doesn't mean it doesn't exist? Seems fake. =:)

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:00 pm Actually, of anything in the appendices, Helm's story is the most fleshed out (other than Aragorn's).
That's interesting, I don't remember much about it either. But then, I actually don't remember the last time I even glanced through the appendices so, that is entirely on me that I don't.

I was thinking that perhaps the Rohirrim seemed a "safer" route to explore as people won't have the same attachment to some of their history as they might any of our main characters' histories, or even a Hobbit-centric show. It could have felt more neutral.

But it does make a lot more sense if there is just more information available on it.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

I'll see it.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/lord ... 235181646/
“The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim” — the original anime feature from New Line Cinema and Warner Bros. Animation — is set for release on April 12, 2024 from Warner Bros. Pictures, Variety can report exclusively.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Oliphaunts at Helm’s Deep???
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Thats Edoras, but yeah, your point still holds!
Voronwë the Faithful

‘The Lord Of The Rings: The War Of The Rohirrim’: Anime Voice Cast Counts Brian Cox, Gaia Wise, Miranda Otto & More

Miranda Otto will apparently reprise her role as Éowyn and serve as the narrator of the film. Of perhaps most interest is this:
The team of creative collaborators returning from The Lord of the Rings trilogy also includes Oscar winners Alan Lee and Richard Taylor, along with Tolkien illustrator John Howe.
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Encouraging news! I like the newly released piece of concept art as well.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

This is sounding much more interesting

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2022/0 ... &fs=e&s=cl
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Agreed; there's a lot of intriguing stuff in that interview, and it makes me somewhat more optimistic about this project. I particularly hope that they follow through on acknowledging that Helm, and his decision-making, was seriously flawed. That's something that often gets lost in discussion of his story, in my experience.
She says the role — and the film — is about delving into Helm’s choices.

“And the mistakes he made as well. And then his acknowledgement of those mistakes. Was there an acknowledgement of those mistakes?” she asks.
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

How well this actually turns out we'll have to wait and see, but I actually quite like the idea of a series of animated films about various smaller Third Age stories, especially since (decently-budgeted) 2D animation is a dying art. Maybe we can get the kin-strife or the fall of Arnor if this one does well.

The interview is promising, I'm glad to hear they want to give the Dunlendings' grievances proper due.