Music to cry to

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Beorhtnoth

Music to cry to

Post by Beorhtnoth »

I believe it is a symptom of aging to find art so overpowering it brings you to tears, whether that art is writing, painting, sculpture or music. I believe I am old, now, because I find myself affected in ways the younger me would laugh at.

Anyway, the point of this topic is to discover what music brings you to tears.

To set the ball in motion, I am reduced to lip quivering and lachrymose eyes immediately I hear the soaring vocals of Delibes' "Duo des fleurs".

What is your trigger?
In a society built on deceit, telling truth is a seditious act
Beorhtnoth

Re: Music to cry to

Post by Beorhtnoth »

Of course, this would be better in the right forum...
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Beorhtnoth wrote:Of course, this would be better in the right forum...
I've moved it.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I get annoyed when music makes me cry. It feels like emotional manipulation and I try to avoid things like that. Thus, I don't have a favorite tear jerker music piece.

But.. if you must have an example.... this *thing* makes me cry every time I've run across it. Just now when I was making sure I got the right video and started it playing (here at work) with the SOUND OFF.... my eyes filled up with tears just at the thought of it. :x :rage: :bang: :nono:

My younger daughter insisted I watch that the first time and I was literally sobbing by the end of it. Gaghhhhhh!

Another trigger is about half the songs in the musical episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, "Once more with feeling" The "I'm Under Your Spell" song and the "Walk through the Fire" song really get to me every time I watch that episode.

In other words, I'm effective at avoiding music that I don't want to hear, but not so good if it is attached to a TV show I want to watch.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I'm a Musicals aficionado. If a song doesn't make me cry its probably not worth listening to. :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Alatar wrote:I'm a Musicals aficionado. If a song doesn't make me cry its probably not worth listening to. :)
Hear hear. I cry to all the songs. Well okay maybe not Weird Al but either I am in a mood to cry and pretty much anything can do it, or the music itself is the kind that makes me want to cry. And a lot of times it doesn't even necessarily have to be the song, it can be an association of the song to something else that makes me cry.

I mean... even commercials can make me cry so... yeaaahh...

When I am in a mood to cry, there are a few songs pretty much guaranteed to get me there.

Last edited by elengil on Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

We had another thread started by yov a few years ago that I thought it would be worth linked to.

The saddest songs in the world
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Adagio in G minor by Albinoni.

Heartbreak and pathos! I weep every time I hear it.

https://youtu.be/XMbvcp480Y4

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Impenitent wrote:Adagio in G minor by Albinoni.
That is such a beautiful song
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

I reread this, and realised I hadn't provided a link to "Duo des fleurs". Here it is for your enjoyment.

https://youtu.be/C1ZL5AxmK_A?t=62

The contrasting soprano (Deveille) and mezzo (Crebassa) complement each other perfectly.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Impenitent wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:04 am Adagio in G minor by Albinoni.

Heartbreak and pathos! I weep every time I hear it.

https://youtu.be/XMbvcp480Y4
It was only a few years ago that I learned that beautiful piece of music is probably not by Albinoni.

Here's an interesting use of the piece accompanied by a tableau meant to evoke a passage from Dante's Inferno:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WpHEZy-YYM
scirocco

Post by scirocco »

I think this Busoni piano transcription of one of Bach’s organ pieces is incredibly moving. But it doesn’t have to be sad; the emotion comes from the beauty of the music itself.

Great performance by Lisitsa helps as well.

narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Currently crying to this one (because a friend just died):

Aram Khachaturian - Gayane Ballet Suite (Adagio)

Anything else by Khachaturian will buoy me up, but this one pulls on my heart strings.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Just seeing this now. Sorry for your loss narya :hug:

So much beautiful music. Sometimes one needs release and music does a wonderful job of providing it. Movie scenes as well. I occasionally love a good (for no specific reason) cry.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm sorry for your loss, narya. :hug:
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I’m sorry, narya. :hug:
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Alatar wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:44 am I'm a Musicals aficionado. If a song doesn't make me cry its probably not worth listening to. :)
I'd stretch that and say that all art should elicit emotion or at the very least, provoke thought; happiness, sadness, introspective, fill with joy, elated, enlightened, cozy, etc..

I cannot watch the movie 'Up' without crying. There is a 5- 9 (?) minute wordless segment at the beginning set to music.. I bawl. Every time. :bawl:
There are many movie scores that can make me cry.
My heart is forever in the Shire.