The Tolkien Translation Game!

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: The Tolkien Translation Game!

Post by Jude »

Is it from Lord of the Rings?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Yes

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:No, the other big thread in Lasto that nel started and maintained, and repeatedly changed the title of to reflect changing laws and court decisions about a particular issue.
Ah. Right. Is the word “gay”?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

No, but you have the right thread.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I skimmed through random pages of that thread, and still don't know to which word you're referring.

So, to attack this from another angle: the meaning of the quote is something like an instruction to repeat or confirm some piece of information they recently acquired?

And to bring it to the new page:
Confirm what you have heard recently
Voronwë the Faithful

The word does appear several times in that thread. Generally speaking, I would say that there are two main words that traditionally had a different definition that in modern times have commonly been used to refer to people sexually attracted to people of the same sex. "Gay" is one them; the word in question is the other.
So, to attack this from another angle: the meaning of the quote is something like an instruction to repeat or confirm some piece of information they recently acquired?
I would say that is exactly the part of the quote that changed in meaning the most. If you squint very hard, the word in question I refer to above sorta, kinda sounds like the word that it turned into that made it seem like that was the meaning of the quote when in fact it is something different.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I'm not any closer :D

Okay - is the word one that used to mean a burning ember, and is currently used to mean "cigarette" in the UK?
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Queer? Something odd or unusual?
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Fabulous?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Elengil has the correct word, though Yov has the best word.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
elengil

Post by elengil »

So I'm guessing something like "what queer news" or perhaps "what news of queer happenings"...?
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Hmm... was this spoken in a pub before the Long-Expected Party?
Voronwë the Faithful

elengil, yes, that is very close to on the mark.

Jude, yes to in a pub, no to before the Long Expected Party.

[OT]I didn't even consider the word that Jude was referring to in his earlier post because in the context of same-sex relationships it is to my knowledge used exclusively as a slur.[/OT]
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

At the Prancing Pony?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Strider to Frodo?
“There are queer folk about. Though I say it as shouldn’t, you may think”
elengil

Post by elengil »

I don't have the book in front of me but it seems something is tickling my brain about it being more like Butterbur asking for queer news from the Shire perhaps?
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

Nope not at the Prancing Pony, not Strider, and not Butterbur.

Before either Strider or Butterbur made any appearances.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Is it spoken by an older hobbit?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Would it be Sam in the Green Dragon?
Queer things you do hear these days, to be sure.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Yes, sounds like it.

When we were doing the read aloud LOTR, I remember being struck by how difficult it is to pronounce queer. It’s a word I think I never spoke aloud before.