2020 Election: Predictions, Results and Reactions

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
N.E. Brigand

Re: 2020 Election: Predictions, Results and Reactions

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Even though the Wall Street Journal is owned by Rupert Murdoch, its news division is generally objective and puts out some solid reporting (true also, but to a lesser degree, of the news division at Murdoch's Fox News), but the Journal's opinion section leans very much to the right: they even pushed the Hunter Biden conspiracy theories in an effort to help Donald Trump win.

So it's notable to see the WSJ put out an editorial that says this: "Mr. Trump’s legacy will be diminished greatly if his final act is a bitter refusal to accept a legitimate defeat."

(And that was before all the networks called the election for Joe Biden.)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

As of right now, Trump's last tweet is I WON THIS ELECTION, BY A Lot! from 7:36 Pacific. Underneath, are 27 replies (by last count) in Armenian laying a curse on him.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Frelga wrote:As of right now, Trump's last tweet is I WON THIS ELECTION, BY A Lot! from 7:36 Pacific. Underneath, are 27 replies (by last count) in Armenian laying a curse on him.
:rofl: :rofl: :rotfl:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Given how many times Trump has stiffed his employees in his businesses, I think this is a more likely scenario:
Attachments
White House movers.jpg
White House movers.jpg (59.93 KiB) Viewed 2210 times
Last edited by Sunsilver on Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Actually a lot more than that, they are just interspersed with gloating in English. Not many angry supporters. I guess Russians are busy reprogramming their bots.

Added: and now some Latin, starting with Vade, Satana...
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

N.E. Brigand wrote:
elengil wrote:Even though it looks like it'll end up 49/51 - if the Senate split 50/50, would Democrats be given the majority position since the VP would be the tie-breaker? Or how does a 50/50 senate split work?
I think 52-48 Republican lead is the likely outcome, with Democrats losing both Senate run-offs in Georgia in January.
I agree it is the most likely outcome, but it certainly is not impossible that Warnock and Ossoff will win. Both races ended up around 49-47 in favor of the Republican candidates versus the Democratic candidates (with it being split among different candidates in the special election) but if the Democrats do better at getting the vote out that can certainly be overcome.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Frelga wrote:Actually a lot more than that, they are just interspersed with gloating in English. Not many angry supporters. I guess Russians are busy reprogramming their bots.

A lot of Twitter accounts in the last 24 hours have announced that they're leaving the country. Most using the same exact phrases.

Those are largely bots, of course.

But someone really does need to check on the people in the profile I mentioned a few days ago of the Q-Anon dead-enders who told the reporter (about two weeks ago) that if Biden wins they're going to take extreme (personal) measures.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

John Mulaney tweeted a picture of a horse walking away, captioned with the phrase "and stay out!"
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

N.E. Brigand wrote:A lot of Twitter accounts in the last 24 hours have announced that they're leaving the country. Most using the same exact phrases.
And same profile photo. But sometimes the country is Alaska.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Frelga wrote:Actually a lot more than that, they are just interspersed with gloating in English. Not many angry supporters. I guess Russians are busy reprogramming their bots.

Had to look that up!

It's a phrase used in exorcisms, appropriately enough! :D
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Lalaith wrote:I know, I know, Dave. I won't quite believe it till I see the back of the U-Haul, but still, for this moment,...Image

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
This is now my fav GIF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Colbert just now
@StephenAtHome
“And all the host laughed and wept...and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.”

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Lovely!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I disagree. This is more like the victory at Helm's Deep. Good news, but the big enemy is still out there. And for at least a little while, we have to deal with the voice of Saruman echoing from inside his tower. Defeated but still dangerous. A wild beast cornered is not safe to approach.
Last edited by Dave_LF on Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Oh, give us this day!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

You may have it! :D
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

In 2016, Donald Trump lost the popular vote by 3 million and would have lost the electoral vote if not for a combined margin of 78,000 votes in Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin. A close race!

Nonetheless he (and his supporters) regularly referred to his victory as a "landslide."

In 2020, Joe Biden already has more than a 4 million popular vote margin of victory (that will grow) and has won those three swing states by a combined margin of 180,000 votes so far (and that will grow too).
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

All these news networks who *still* haven't called Nevada are like "Joe Biden will be the 46th US president!" when it's at least 20% that'll be Mike Pence.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

A lot hangs on Mike Pence now. He could very much be the man of the hour (or the next couple of months).

So I was wrong, the election was called about 2am my time. Which is good, as I'm planning to go on a picnic with friends in the botanical gardens today and I won;t need to be checking my phone every five minutes. I'll have more to say, I'm sure.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

You can't make this up.

Trump’s ‘Big’ Press Conference At Four Seasons Total Landscaping Sows Confusion
Less than an hour before news broke that Joe Biden was projected to win the 2020 presidential election, President Donald Trump announced that his legal team would be holding a press conference at “Four Seasons” in Philadelphia.

While many people assumed he meant the event would be held at a luxury hotel, the president clarified that the “big press conference” would take place at Four Seasons Total Landscaping, a landscaping company located on an industrial street.

Just in case there was any remaining confusion, the Four Seasons Hotel quickly confirmed that the press conference would not be happening on its premises, and that it has “no relation” to the landscaping company.