Independent Movies set in Middle Earth

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Independent Movies set in Middle Earth

Post by elengil »

There are a number of short films that have been made over the years by fans, often fans who work in the film industry, to make stories out of Middle Earth come to life.

The first one I saw was Born of Hope, a story of Arathorn's death.

Now I've found The Hunt for Gollum, about Aragorn's search.

There really is something just a bit magical about film.
Has anyone come across independently made films of stories not part of The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings?
Last edited by elengil on Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Snowdog

Re: Independent Movies set in Middle Earth

Post by Snowdog »

Born of Hope is fairly good, and Hunt for Gollun a bit less so.

I heard someone was working on an indie-fan movie of Beren and Lúthien last year but haven't heard any more about it.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
elengil

Post by elengil »

Another independent short film just premiered:

Last edited by elengil on Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Sounds like something from the very secret diaries :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
elengil

Post by elengil »

Alatar wrote:Sounds like something from the very secret diaries :)
:rofl:
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

elengil, did you find this worth watching.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:elengil, did you find this worth watching.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Eh. I mean, I don't feel I wasted 20 minutes. It wasn't a 3-act production, though, it was pretty much just a pretty, scenic depiction of a small event. It was well done, but it didn't really bring any major story to life.
was a 2020 planner.

elengil

Post by elengil »

Another fan-made Middle-Earth film

was a 2020 planner.

Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

The Beacon of Gondor here is hilarious the last third.... (language warning)

:toast:
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

The Battle of the Fords of Isen looks a bit rough but I give them props for effort and they looked like they had fun making this.

--Bilbo Baggins