Impeachment

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Griffon64

Re: Impeachment

Post by Griffon64 »

RoseMorninStar wrote:There are warnings about this in the bible...

There are indeed, and it would surprise me that the adherents can read around them so thoroughly if it wasn't that that's how this kind of stuff works. There's always a verse to find and bind to what someone wants to be true if the wish is to wield the Bible as a weapon to have their will be done, or an interpretation to make so the Bible speaks with their words instead of God's.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Griffon64 wrote:
RoseMorninStar wrote:There are warnings about this in the bible...

There are indeed, and it would surprise me that the adherents can read around them so thoroughly if it wasn't that that's how this kind of stuff works. There's always a verse to find and bind to what someone wants to be true if the wish is to wield the Bible as a weapon to have their will be done, or an interpretation to make so the Bible speaks with their words instead of God's.
Sadly, true.
The willingness by some to be ostriches & stick their heads in the sand rather than see the truth before them is puzzling and dangerous to us all.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote:elengil, the House oversight committee (chaired by the late Elijah Cummings) would be the third.
Doh! Yes, thank you.

House Committee on Oversight and Reform
Democrats
Elijah Cummings, Maryland, Chairman (until October 17, 2019)
Carolyn Maloney, New York, Acting Chairwoman (since October 17, 2019)[3]
Eleanor Holmes Norton, District of Columbia
Lacy Clay, Missouri
Stephen F. Lynch, Massachusetts
Jim Cooper, Tennessee
Gerry Connolly, Virginia
Raja Krishnamoorthi, Illinois
Jamie Raskin, Maryland
Harley Rouda, California
Katie Hill, California, Vice Chair
Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Florida
John Sarbanes, Maryland
Peter Welch, Vermont
Jackie Speier, California
Robin Kelly, Illinois
Mark DeSaulnier, California
Brenda Lawrence, Michigan
Stacey Plaskett, U.S. Virgin Islands
Ro Khanna, California
Jimmy Gomez, California
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, New York
Ayanna Pressley, Massachusetts
Rashida Tlaib, Michigan

Republicans
Jim Jordan, Ohio, Ranking Member
Paul Gosar, Arizona
Virginia Foxx, North Carolina
Thomas Massie, Kentucky
Mark Meadows, North Carolina
Jody Hice, Georgia
Glenn Grothman, Wisconsin
James Comer, Kentucky
Michael Cloud, Texas
Bob Gibbs, Ohio
Clay Higgins, Louisiana
Ralph Norman, South Carolina
Chip Roy, Texas
Carol Miller, West Virginia
Mark E. Green, Tennessee
Kelly Armstrong, North Dakota
Greg Steube, Florida
Fred Keller, Pennsylvania
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Elengil and Rose, it is Intelligence, Oversight, and Foreign Affairs. Judiciary is not currently involved. That is part of the the complaint of Matt Gaetz, the leader or the group that invaded the hearing. He is a member of the Judiciary Committee and argues that he should therefore be allowed to attend.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë, thanks for clearing that up. Another question, are these hearings or just depositions/ inquiries/investigations? The hearing will take place once the information is gathered, right? It's being done this way because no special counsel/investigation was assigned as there should have been, if I understand correctly. I know it's not a trial, that takes place in the Senate.
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, that is correct. These are depositions designed to get relevant facts, because the Justice Department refused to do an investigation when it was referred to them. The questions are mostly being asked by staff attorneys, not members. Importantly, the Republican staff attorneys have 100% equal time to ask questions as do the Democratic staff attorneys.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

VP Mike Pence's older brother sits on the committee for foreign affairs. which is one of the committees taking depositions for the impeachment inquiry.

Meanwhile, in the weird-news-that-has-become-our-new-normal, Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman are rather interesting characters. Evidently Trump doesn't pay Rudi Giuliani, Lev has paid him $500,000 (from his company 'Fraud Guarantee'?) and now Lev is claiming executive privilege. In order to claim executive privilege I believe they would have to say they are working for the government/Trump and that they had sensitive information. Parnas has had ties to the Trump organization for decades.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Is there a list of which Republicans were involved in forcing their way into the hearings? I read a rumor some of those involved were on the related committees involved but since I have not seen any list of which Republicans were involved it remains unsubstantiated.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
elengil

Post by elengil »

Since I did the other two, I'll add the third

House Committee on Foreign Affairs
Democrats
Eliot Engel, New York, Chair
Brad Sherman, California
Gregory Meeks, New York
Albio Sires, New Jersey
Gerry Connolly, Virginia
Ted Deutch, Florida
Karen Bass, California
Bill Keating, Massachusetts
David Cicilline, Rhode Island
Ami Bera, California
Joaquin Castro, Texas, Vice Chair
Dina Titus, Nevada
Adriano Espaillat, New York
Ted Lieu, California
Susan Wild, Pennsylvania
Dean Phillips, Minnesota
Ilhan Omar, Minnesota
Colin Allred, Texas
Andy Levin, Michigan
Abigail Spanberger, Virginia
Chrissy Houlahan, Pennsylvania
Tom Malinowski, New Jersey
David Trone, Maryland
Jim Costa, California
Juan Vargas, California
Vicente Gonzalez, Texas

Republicans
Michael McCaul, Texas, Ranking Member
Chris Smith, New Jersey
Steve Chabot, Ohio
Joe Wilson, South Carolina
Scott Perry, Pennsylvania
Ted Yoho, Florida
Adam Kinzinger, Illinois
Lee Zeldin, New York
Jim Sensenbrenner, Wisconsin
Ann Wagner, Missouri, Vice Ranking Member
Brian Mast, Florida
Francis Rooney, Florida
Brian Fitzpatrick, Pennsylvania
John Curtis, Utah
Ken Buck, Colorado
Ron Wright, Texas
Guy Reschenthaler, Pennsylvania
Tim Burchett, Tennessee
Greg Pence, Indiana
Steve Watkins, Kansas
Michael Guest, Mississippi
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

I heard that rumor too, elengil, but I haven't been able to confirm it, nor have I been able to locate a list of the participants in the stunt.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I heard that rumor too, elengil, but I haven't been able to confirm it, nor have I been able to locate a list of the participants in the stunt.
The closest I've come is specific members discussed in news articles, but no compiled list. The one's I have seen mentioned are not on the committees in question, so it may just be a false rumor. Or possibly misinterpretation of news reports which have some Republican comments but not necessarily Republicans who were among those who forced their way in.

This is the list I've got so far

Matt Gaetz of Florida
Bradley Byrne of Alabama
Louie Gohmert of Texas
Steve Scalise of Louisiana
Mo Brooks of Alabama

Reference: https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/23/politics ... index.html

But that's well shy of the two dozen reported to have been there
Chanting “Let us in! Let us in!” about two dozen Republican members of the House pushed past Capitol Police officers to enter the secure rooms of the House Intelligence Committee
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/23/us/p ... e=Homepage

This article goes on to note
Roughly a quarter of House Republicans are members of the three panels conducting the inquiry, and have been allowed to participate in the private depositions and interviews from the start. But most of the Republicans who rushed the secure rooms on Wednesday morning are not committee members.
Most? So... some were? Very confusing, I wish they'd clarify exactly who was involved and who may have been on said committees.

Times goes on to note
Democrats noted that some of the protesting lawmakers were on relevant committees — and thus had the right to attend the deposition.
Even IF that report is false, the rest are still claiming to be shut-out of a process that many of their fellow Republicans are actively involved in on these committees, even those in the hearing they crashed who were also getting ready to interview the witness! Unbelievable!

From a procedural view, the CNN article also notes
Democrats also pointed to the Benghazi Select Committee run by former Rep. Trey Gowdy, a South Carolina Republican who conducted closed-door hearings in that investigation.
While the Times article quotes
Representative Earl L. “Buddy” Carter of Georgia issued a dire warning: “If a government can do this to the president of the United States, they can do it to you as well. You need to be scared. You need to be very scared.”
So definitely playing to fears.
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

When Gowdy conducted the closed Benghazi hearings, former GOP representative (and former Chairman of the Oversight Committee that conducted its own Benghazi hearings) Darrell Issa, who was not on the Select Committee, tried to get in to one of the hearings and was refused entrance by Gowdy (who, I should note, Mr. Trump tried to hire recently to be on his impeachment legal team, only to realize that Gowdy couldn't actually do the work that he was hired to do until January because of ethics rules banning former members of Congress from doing any lobbying of current members of Congress for one year after the date that the former member left office, and of course by January most if not all of the impeachment process is likely to be finished).
elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:... only to realize that Gowdy couldn't actually do the work that he was hired to do until January because of ethics rules banning former members of Congress from doing any lobbying of current members of Congress for one year ...
Working on a legal team falls under the heading of lobbying?
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

RoseMorninStar wrote:Meanwhile, in the weird-news-that-has-become-our-new-normal, Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman are rather interesting characters. Evidently Trump doesn't pay Rudi Giuliani, Lev has paid him $500,000 (from his company 'Fraud Guarantee'?) and now Lev is claiming executive privilege. In order to claim executive privilege I believe they would have to say they are working for the government/Trump and that they had sensitive information. Parnas has had ties to the Trump organization for decades.
Now they are just saying stuff to just say stuff. There isn't even a bad argument that executive privilege would apply to Parnas (or Fruman, though I think it is specifically Parnas that the argument is being made, or at least brought up about). One "amusing" aspect of that article is where the lawyer for Parnas says that his client doesn't work form Mr. Trump, he works for Mr. Giuliani. Yet in reality it is Parnas that has paid Giuliani $500,000, not the other way around. So how is that Parnas works for Giuliani when he is paying Giuliani?

The mind doesn't boggle. It spins round and round like Linda Blair in the Exorcist.

Meanwhile, the latest word is that the Democrats on the Impeachment Committee hope to begin public hearings as soon as mid-November, though my guess is that it will probably be at least a month later than that, as everything always takes longer than expected.

ETA: Cross-posted with elengil. In this case, apparently so!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:One "amusing" aspect of that article is where the lawyer for Parnas says that his client doesn't work form Mr. Trump, he works for Mr. Giuliani. Yet in reality it is Parnas that has paid Giuliani $500,000, not the other way around. So how is that Parnas works for Giuliani when he is paying Giuliani?

The same part of the article stood out to me, and it made me think, is Giuliani even an official part of the White House? Isn't he just Trump's personal lawyer or somesuch?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Giuliani has no official government role. He 'represents' Mr. Trump, not the U.S.

elengil

Post by elengil »

yovargas wrote: The same part of the article stood out to me, and it made me think, is Giuliani even an official part of the White House? Isn't he just Trump's personal lawyer or somesuch?
Asked whether Giuliani remained his personal attorney, Trump said: “I don’t know.”

“I haven't spoken to Rudy,” Trump told reporters as he was leaving the White House for a political rally in Louisiana. “I spoke to him yesterday, briefly. He's a very good attorney and he has been my attorney, yeah sure.”

Giuliani told USA TODAY shortly afterward that he’s still Trump's lawyer. “He hasn't told me otherwise,” he said.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 945806002/

Rudy Giuliani on Wednesday refused to say what sort of agreement, if any, he has with President Donald Trump to act as his lawyer.

“If I did, I wouldn’t show it to you, and what right do you have to ask me that?” Giuliani said in a phone call with BuzzFeed News. “I’m a private lawyer. I could have a handshake with him. I don’t have to tell you what the basis of my attorney-client relationship is.”
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/mi ... ump-lawyer
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

The latest is that Lindsey Graham is introducing a resolution, co-sponsored by Mitch McConnell and other leading Senate Republicans, directing how the House should be conducting the Impeachment process.

https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/imo/me ... T19928.pdf

Setting aside the fact that there are numerous factual errors and misleading statements in the text of this resolution (for instance, it states that in each of the three previous occasions that an impeachment inquiry was launched there was a vote at the outset, but in fact that was not true with the Johnson impeachment), the bottom line is that this resolution is itself on its face unconstitutional, which is an unusual thing to be able to say, because the Constitution is often ambiguous. However it unambiguously states that the House of Representatives "shall have the sole power of Impeachment." Sole power. So what is the Senate doing trying to tell the House how they should do their job. It is incredibly ridiculous.

I bet it passes though.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil wrote:While the Times article quotes
Representative Earl L. “Buddy” Carter of Georgia issued a dire warning: “If a government can do this to the president of the United States, they can do it to you as well. You need to be scared. You need to be very scared.”
So definitely playing to fears.
Yes. Manipulation. Trump is marketing the impeachment inquiry as something being done to 'us' (meaning his base) not something that he brought on himself due to his own actions and that he is accountable for. He's setting this up as grounds for turning Americans against one another.. a civil war.

Lev & Igor said they were leaving the country to go to Vienna to do an interview for Hannity with Dmytro Firtash, a gas industry Oligarch connected to Russian organized crime. All roads lead to Putin. As if Hannity would send Lev & Igor to Vienna to do an interview. That's not even a good lie.

As for the House members who stormed the SCIF (secured facility) and ordered pizza and chicken wings, I hope they are reprimanded for taking electronic devices and taking photographs/making phone calls (which is a National Security issue and prohibited). I bet Trump supporters weren't so 'pure' that they wouldn't watch/listen to that leaked information. The penalty for violating SCIF rules includes loss of (security) clearance and their job, plus up to a $500,000 fine and 10 years in prison.

Republicans who took part in the 'Brooks Brother riot' and entered the SCIF. This is a full list of the 41 who entered the SCIF:
*Matt Gaetz, *Steve Scalise, *Brian Babin, *Andy Biggs, *Mo Brooks, *#Ken Buck, Bradley Byrne, *Buddy Carter, Ben Cline, *Jeff Duncan, *Drew Ferguson, Russ Fulcher, *Louie Gohmert, *#Paul Gosar, #Mark Green, *Vicky Hartzler, Kevin Hern, *#Jody Hice, *Duncan Hunter, *Bill Johnson, *#Jim Jordan, #Fred Keller, *Steve King, Debbie Lesko, #Carol Miller, *Alex Mooney, *Markwayne Mullin, #Ralph Norman, *Mark Walker, *#Mark Meadows, *Greg Murphy, *Peter Olson, *Gary Palmer, *#Scott Perry, *David Rouzer, Ross Spano, Michael Waltz, Steve Watkins, *Randy Weber, #Ron Wright, *#Lee Zeldin

Those with * were around in 2017 and voted for a rule holding that such protests on the House floor (to say nothing of inside HPSCI’s SCIF) were a violation of House Rules. Those with # are on committees conducting the inquiry, so they’re basically complaining about a process they’re a part of.

Republicans thought holding closed door interviews were the right thing during the Benghazi crusade. They're pulling stunts because they know what Trump did is indefensible and that there is a lot of evidence of what he did.
elengil

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote: Republicans thought holding closed door interviews were the right thing during the Benghazi crusade. They're pulling stunts because they know what Trump did is indefensible and that there is a lot of evidence of what he did.
Was just coming here to post this - unfortunately I'm not sure what the source of the original statement is,but apparently this was the Republican's justifications for closed-door secret interviews during Benghazi?

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CRP ... rpt848.pdf - quote from page 360

privateinterviews.JPG
privateinterviews.JPG (90.41 KiB) Viewed 3613 times
was a 2020 planner.