Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by Frelga »

I'm putin this here instead of the Serious Business thread because I'm not sure if it has any serious implications. Just, more whiskey.

Putin's Daughter Is Linked To Wilbur Ross — Another Trump-Russia Connection?
Reuters

President Donald Trump's Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross is doing business with Russian President Vladimir Putin's son-in-law, a bombshell new report revealed Tuesday.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"I'm putin this here"

Just acknowledging that I caught this. Well played.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Pocahontas.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Faramond

Post by Faramond »

I think that Christmas decoration is pretty awesome. I get why people find it creepy but I think it's really fun.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

In front of Jackson's portrait.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Welcome to non sequitur theatre.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I think that corridor of branches is some pretty amazing set decoration, and really imaginative. It's just that the brooding, lit-from-below, sinister feeling is not (and I do feel fortunate to be able to say this) what I associate with Christmas, exactly.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

PB, I think it would be amazing for Halloween.
Faramond wrote:Welcome to non sequitur theatre.
As reported by the NPR (and every other news outlet except Fox)

Trump Brings Up 'Pocahontas' At Event Honoring Navajo Code Talkers

Faramond

Post by Faramond »

I love it when liberals explain the news to me like I'm an ignorant man-cave dweller. It should have a name -- progsplaining, maybe?
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I'm just impressed that an American could spell "theatre" :P
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Faramond wrote:I love it when liberals explain the news to me like I'm an ignorant man-cave dweller. It should have a name -- progsplaining, maybe?
Then what was the non-sequitur comment about? I was surprised that the poster who complained about an echo chamber seemed unaware of a widely reported news item and didn't want you to feel left out.

Also, I don't think "liberal" means what you think it means.

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

The non sequitur comment was after yours, Frelga. The one about a portrait.
I didn't follow that jump, either.
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

This is great -- a classic Lasto kerfuffle where everything is taken way too seriously. I'm talking about me. I'm taking it way too seriously.

I guess I was amused at yov's post, which was just one word, kind of out-of-nowhere, though I do understand how it connects to the thread. And then Frelga's post, which I think was meant to come right after yov's, but after mine it is sort of out of place, if you're not paying super-close attention. I thought it was funny. No one did anything wrong, obviously. Except me, for taking things too seriously, but wait, that's what you're supposed to do here, so kudos to me, I guess?

In what way do I not know what *liberal* means? I'll grant these can be slippery terms, hard to pin down sometimes but -- I don't think I used it incorrectly given what I know of your posting history.

I think this Pocahontas story is interesting for how -- well -- mundane it is. I mean mundane in context. The context of the Trump presidency. He's called Warren "Pocahontas" more than twenty times, right? He regularly calls people by insulting nicknames. He regularly says things that are either borderline or outright racist depending on how you want to draw the line. To me this story was kind of a non-story, because of how commonplace it really is with Trump. Which is really sad.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Maria wrote:The non sequitur comment was after yours, Frelga. The one about a portrait.
I didn't follow that jump, either.
It was a reference to this, from the linked article:
The Oval Office event also took place in front of a portrait of former President Andrew Jackson — who ordered the forced removal of thousands of Native Americans from the Southeast to the West, known as the "Trail of Tears." More than 4,000 Cherokee people died during the migration.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

So apparently I cross-posted with Faramond twice. Image FWIW, my first response was honestly because I was not sure if you saw the news, and because I didn't see your post, which is the whole other level of oddness.

Good thing we are such mature, sensible individuals. :D

Also, I'm not sure "liberal" or "conservative" means anything at all when applied to the US politics.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Frelga wrote:So apparently I cross-posted with Faramond twice. Image FWIW, my first response was honestly because I was not sure if you saw the news, and because I didn't see your post, which is the whole other level of oddness.

Good thing we are such mature, sensible individuals. :D.
Uzziden?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I think this thread has had too much whisky.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The Society of Vertebrate Paleontology is suing the President of the United States.

The suit is an attempt to block cuts to Grand Staircase-Escalante & Bears Ears National Monuments. They claim that the President lacks the legal authority to order the cuts.

http://vertpaleo.org/Society-News/SVP-P ... ional.aspx

This is going to be someone's supervillain origin story, as an enraged paleontologist brings dinosaurs to life and rides a T.Rex into the battle.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

That this is not the Onion is bad enough but that this is from FOX News just puts the whole thing over the top.

An actual headline and tweet
Man who 'saved' rabbit from wildfire probably made things worse https://t.co/nyFL9Gzsbn

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Starving baby rabbits isn't a pleasant image, though.