Hobbit not 'til 2012?

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Aravar

Hobbit not 'til 2012?

Post by Aravar »

IMDB's front page is reporting that theHobbit may be pushed back until December 2012.

It's cutting it a bit fine, as the world ends that month.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Not just for Tolkien purists?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

That ended, IIRC, in 2001.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

True. I think for many people the stakes are not as high with The Hobbit. I know they aren't for me.

The delay is disappointing, if true, but understandable. We are well into 2010 and casting has barely begun.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I moved this to the correct forum. And I note we've already been discussing this news in the general Hobbit movie news thread.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Yes, that's what I thought. I wasn't taken aback by the 2012 thing, because I remembered discussing it before. Now I know where.
:)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Should I merge the two threads, Aravar?
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

Please do.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Sorry to be the harbinger of bad news....(well, depending on your POV, of course ;) )
Warner Bros. and IMAX Corp. have just issued a joint press release announcing a partnership through 2013 that will include placing upwards of 20 Warner Bros. films into IMAX theaters, as well as conventional theaters. The biggest news to come out of this whole thing is a tentative release date for The Hobbit of December 2013, two years after its initial date of December 2011. We assume part one will debut in 2013 and part 2 in 2014, but the press release doesn't mention the two-parter and only lists it as simply The Hobbit.
:(

http://www.cinematical.com/2010/04/28/t ... d-to-2013/
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:rage:
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

That stinks. :rage:
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Voronwë the Faithful

I wouldn't at all consider this to be holy writ at this point.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

And ... 'The Hobbit' not delayed; on track for 2012
While the project is taking a bit longer than the filmmakers anticipated, it is now on track for 2012 -- rather than the 2013 date mentioned in the Imax release.

The second movie’s script was turned in to the studio a couple of weeks ago, and all parties are starting to break down the financials for the movies now.

Warners moved quickly to set the calendar straight in the wake of the Imax release, and by midday, the giant-screen-format company said it was going to send out a correction, officially making 2012 the new date for the first “Hobbit” movie
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Thanks, V - I will sleep so much better tonight!

(and you were going to add this smiley to our array here, I seem to remember, :poke: )
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

I feel like a ping pong ball. :scratch:
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks for the gentle reminder, Elen. :) The smiley's in place now, with the code

Code: Select all

:whew:
I'll post about it in the Grubb forum, too.

I wonder if Warner's did this on purpose. Previously everyone was angsting about the films getting pushed back to 2012. Now it feels like a relief to have them start in 2012. If it was on purpose, it was a canny move.