Prayer Thread

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I will add my prayers to all of yours. I am hoping Gustav will weaken rather than strengthen as he travels across the Gulf. :(

And for your friend, too, Wampus.

Lali
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'll add your friend to my prayers, Wampus.

Whistler has said that he will be offline until it's over. His elderly relatives can't travel safely, so they are all going to ride out the storm.

I know we're all praying/thinking good thoughts/hoping for the best for everyone in the path of the storm.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Definitely.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

That's for sure. Holding all those Gulf Coast-ers in the Light and hoping for the best!
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

I also hope that the Whistlers, as well as anybody else who has to weather the storm, will get through it safe and sound.
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

I'm dealing with massive back pain since yesterday, details are on B77 if you're interested.

Some firsts for today: Inablility to walk (well, at least since I was pretty little), Calling for paramedics (although not my first 911 call), riding in an ambulance, getting x-rays, experiencing the thrill of walking again when you couldn't for a short while, and taking vicodin...

ETA: I have had my teeth x-rayed before, but this was obviously different.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

My goodness, Hal! :shock:

I'll pray for a rapid recovery. But until then, take those pain pills—stress from pain can be worse for your body than pills. (I found Vicodin made me queasy, so my doctor okayed breaking them in half—they seemed just as effective, but without the queasiness.)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

yeah my brother had nausea problems with vicodin, but so far (one hour in), I'm not having any problems, and it is helping a LOT.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Hal - you've been in my prayers since this morning when I read about your back pain on B77. I'm so glad you went to the hospital and got some relief...sometimes, drugs are good things.

Prayers for continued recovery!
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Wow, hal, that's really scary. You will be in my prayers, as well.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Ouch, hal, back pain is nasty! Take the pills, otherwise the pain will make your muscles even more tense, which could make pain worse.

Do they know what triggered it? I hope it's something that will pass quickly!
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Hal, I will certainly pray for you! Back pain is horrible.

I'm going to go to b77 to see if you have posted more details. You know me... I want to know what they found out!
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Oh, I was moving stuff around. I know how to lift with my legs, but apparently either I did something while not lifting that messed it up, or I wasn't as careful as I should have been.

All X-rays were negative, so it's all in the muscle, which all they can do is give me relaxers and pain killers... both of which are working really nicely at the moment :).
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

That's good news—you don't want to have damaged your spine.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Painkillers and muscle relaxers can be quite a fun day. :)
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Sure, that's how it starts—but next thing you know you're riding horses. . . .
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

:P

:horse:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:whistle:
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

hal, I just now saw this (work! :rage: ). I will certainly be praying that you have a speedy recovery. And I'll run over to b77 to see what you said there.

:hug:
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Hal, I'm so sorry you're going through this misery! I hope your muscles relax properly and your back heals up. :hug:

No more boxes for a while, hear?