The Obama Phenomenon and the 2008 Presidential Campaign

Discussions of and about the historic 2008 U.S. Presidential Election
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Alatar wrote:And even worse, his explanation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeThckstKNE
Does he say he called a high school kid a little jerk? :scratch:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

He did, but I saw the clip on the news back when it happened, and he was joking. I don't think he liked the question the kid asked, but as I remember the incident, he was teasing, not insulting the kid.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:Yes, that is very far out there. Look, I can only report on my own observations. But my basic point remains: the old ways of doing politics in this country need to change. And there is only one candidate for president who seems genuinely committed to bring about that change.

(And yes, I understand that you disagree with that, too. :))
Here's the thing, though, and it's not about observation, it's about perception... if you're not watching for something, you won't see it. And most of us in our "political brains" are trained to see how bad the other side is, and only see the good in our own side. (And, in fact, in this election, I'm finding it ver hard to see good in my side at all, so I'm seeing all bad everywhere ;) ) The point being, most negative stuff put out by our own side, we might notice, but we'll immediately dismiss it and move on. It doesn't concern us, because we either agree with it, or are not concerned with it.

Thus, our perceptions become "The other side always attacks us, while we just run clean campaigns! How dare they!"
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

That's why you need someone around with no sides. Like me! :halo:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

That's true, hal. People tend to notice whatever makes them mad.

I've found that even if I run an exactly even number of conservative and liberal columns on our op-ed page, I get calls from people saying that we only run conservatives or we only run liberals. They don't even notice the columns they agree with, but the ones they hate stick with them forever.

In the same way, the average person is more likely to notice attacks on his favorite candidate and dismiss attacks made by his favorite candidate.
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Teremia wrote:
solicitr wrote:And is Hagee all that wrong about Islam? Can we really afford to contain it like we did Communism? Or is that an extended suicide pact?
I read this statement and thought at first it implied that we should -- am I misunderstanding something? -- try to do something more drastic to Islam than "contain" it. Can you explain what you have in mind, solicitr?

Coexistence is really not the same as suicide, in my book.
I also was hoping you could clarify your point solicitr
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

superwizard, I greatly admire you.

soli, I too would be interested in an explanation of your comment.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

"Can we really afford to contain it like we did Communism?"

You know, that really needs no clarification. It's about as clear as things get.
Dig deeper.
Voronwë the Faithful

Not to me it isn't. Because Communism is a political ideology, whereas Islam is a religion. And (at least arguably) a high percentage of communists were committed to the overturning of the American system, whereas that can only be said of a very, very small percentage of Muslims. And not because they are Muslim, but rather because they are fanatics.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Yes, but assuming there is a continuum between "not containing" and flat-out genocide, it would be interesting to hear from soli where on that continuum he falls.
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:Not to me it isn't. Because Communism is a political ideology, whereas Islam is a religion. And (at least arguably) a high percentage of communists were committed to the overturning of the American system, whereas that can only be said of a very, very small percentage of Muslims. And not because they are Muslim, but rather because they are fanatics.
Well, that was sorta my point.
Dig deeper.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

I probably agree with your conclusion V., but not with your reasoning. Those who were stridently opposed to communism did portray it as a religion, as the equivalent of a religion. I don't perceive much difference between the anti-Islamic rhetoric of today and the anti-communist rhetoric of the 50s and 60s. One of the underpinnings of neo-Con philosophy of divide and conquer in the Middle East is that we drew the wrong lesson from Vietnam and allowed the dominos to fall while we wimped out, so I think it is pretty much the same situation in their minds as well.

And I would be one of those "arguably" people ;) who would argue that no appreciable percentage of the people trying to live out their lives in Russia, China, Cuba, Vietnam, Cambodia, or Tanzania (self-identified as communist during the heyday) cared about overturning the American system. In that too, I don't see much difference between the US government portrayal of, say, Iran today and that of, say, Cuba in 1960. the pattern of mutual provocation by governments for purposes somewhat opaque to all the rest of us looks to me quite similar.
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Jnyusa wrote:I probably agree with your conclusion V., but not with your reasoning. Those who were stridently opposed to communism did portray it as a religion, as the equivalent of a religion. I don't perceive much difference between the anti-Islamic rhetoric of today and the anti-communist rhetoric of the 50s and 60s. One of the underpinnings of neo-Con philosophy of divide and conquer in the Middle East is that we drew the wrong lesson from Vietnam and allowed the dominos to fall while we wimped out, so I think it is pretty much the same situation in their minds as well.

And I would be one of those "arguably" people ;) who would argue that no appreciable percentage of the people trying to live out their lives in Russia, China, Cuba, Vietnam, Cambodia, or Tanzania (self-identified as communist during the heyday) cared about overturning the American system. In that too, I don't see much difference between the US government portrayal of, say, Iran today and that of, say, Cuba in 1960. the pattern of mutual provocation by governments for purposes somewhat opaque to all the rest of us looks to me quite similar.
Exactly.

I would say that far from wanting to overthrow the American system, most people enduring lives in Communist countries would have jumped at the chance to get to America and give it a try. If they knew about it, that is. Think of the boats from Cuba, and the people shot trying to cross the Berlin Wall.

A lot of people were taught, and believed, that in America things were no better than in Russia, etc. I've met a couple of oldsters from the Ukraine who got here in the 90's, and who were utterly blown away by how well-off their relatives here are. But that's a different thread.
Dig deeper.
Voronwë the Faithful

Fair enough. The point that I really wanted to make was that Islam in and of itself poses no threat to America, just fanatics who happen to be Muslim. I certainly bow to both of your superior knowledge and experience regarding communism.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

vison wrote:A lot of people were taught, and believed, that in America things were no better than in Russia, etc.
Quite a few of them in the west and even in the United States itself, but that's also an issue for another thread.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Voronwë wrote:The point that I really wanted to make was that Islam in and of itself poses no threat to America, just fanatics who happen to be Muslim.
With this I certainly agree.
Lord M wrote:Quite a few of them in the west and even in the United States itself ...
Yes, that's quite true, Lord M. There was a great deal of initial admiration in the US for the face that Stalin succeeded to show to the world. When his insanities became known it was a very bitter pill to swallow. (So I've read - it was before my time.) :)

The admiration for proletarian revolution has to be understood in the context of the labor movement as a whole, remembering that unions were still illegal, workers in many industries were in perpetual debt to their employers because they were not paid in money but in goods that were inadequate for subsistence, and gangs like the Pinkerton squads routinely murdered workers who protested conditions. Not to mention child labor, seven-day work weeks, twelve-hour work days, etc. The international labor movement thought that Russia would be the vanguard, but as it turned out, the US union movement was the vanguard in labor rights, working primarily through legal means. Slower than a revolution, but more effective in the long run.
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Voronwë the Faithful

A bit of fun, with (in my opinion) more than a germ of truth.

The Empire Strikes Barack
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Did it ever occur to you, Voronwë, that Obama supporters are as guilty as they claim Clinton is, of the kind of 'evil' they accuse her of? It strikes me as so ironic, that they condemn Clinton for attacks on Obama and then turn around and engage in the same kinds of attacks on her.

One thing I've been wondering throughout this long season, both here and elsewhere, is why Obama supporters don't do more to emulate those qualities they see as so desirable in him, or try to embody the change they say they so fervently want to see him usher in. It seems to me that the more fervent the Obama supporter, the more enthusiastically they engage in the kind of conduct (speaking in internet terms) they decry in the Evil One.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Really?

Hmm.

Guess I'd better find time to make a hate site.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

People do tend to notice, and pass on to other people, what offends and upsets them. For that reason, I've noticed and remember similar conduct among Clinton supporters. But I know that's a biased sample, and I wouldn't judge all Clinton supporters on that basis.

I'm sure most supporters of both candidates are decent people working in positive ways for the candidate they believe in. That's just not the kind of thing that gets sarcastic mentions on blogs or is emailed to friends lists.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King