Once

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Once

Post by Alatar »

I got the DVD of this movie from a friend just before Christmas as a Secret Santa present. I looked at it a bit blankly, wondering if it was a joke. Had he just bought me a chick flick or something?

Wow. What an awesome movie. Rent it, Buy it, Download it. Just see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mIpwx5lA5I
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Saw it. Loved it. Would see it again! :D
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Northerner

Post by Northerner »

It's great. Such soulful performances and beautiful songs. I keep rewatching the Falling Slowly scene. Worth it just for that and the recording scenes.

I hope this really makes Glen Hansard's career take off, cause he has an incredible voice.
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

We watched it on Christmas night with our daughter and her boyfriend. We ALL loved it! It was one of those "little movies" that I kept hearing about, but it was on some kind of limited release here, so I was never able to track down where it was playing. I keep getting snippets of the two main songs running through my head....I guess that means I should check out a soundtrack CD.

A lovely, lovely movie. :love:

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
kams

Post by kams »

Alatar, you usually don't steer us wrong. It's on our Netflix list.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Falling Slowly won the Best Original Song Oscar! Here's the clip from the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7U2yMpcAew
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Their win was such a pleasant surprise! They were thrilled and overwhelmed. And it led to my favorite moment of the evening. Glen Hansard said his thanks, but as Marketa Irglova stepped to the mike, the music came up, and she wasn't able to say anything. They had to walk off.

Then after the commercial break, Jon Stewart came on and announced that he thought it was too bad she had not been able to speak, and brought her back on stage to give her thank-yous! Which were very touching.

I've never seen that done before, and I'm so glad she was able to have her big moment after all.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
kams

Post by kams »

Saw it. Loved it. Recommend it.

Thrilled that an art movie can still win a mainstream award.

btw,
"When Your Mind's Made Up" is also a good song. I like the 5/4 rythmn.