Double Slit Experiment explained! by Jim Al-Khalili

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Beorhtnoth

Double Slit Experiment explained! by Jim Al-Khalili

Post by Beorhtnoth »

I am never sure where quantum mechanics belongs. It is counter-intuitive. It seems to belong to a different world with different laws of existence. It touches on the very idea of consciousness and reality.
I hope nobody has already posted on this specifically, but here is a Royal Institution lecture given by Professor Jim Al-Khalil on the famous Young’s Double Slit Experiment.
It’s great. :scratch: :D

In a society built on deceit, telling truth is a seditious act
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: Double Slit Experiment explained! by Jim Al-Khalili

Post by Inanna »

That was incredible.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

That's fascinating!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

Pleased you appreciated it, Alatar and Inanna. :)

The act of observation affects reality.

"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

From the other end of the spectrum (pun intended), this is an experiment demonstrating a property of light that is also counter-intuitive. The video has an amateur charm I really enjoyed.

Light is invisible!

Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

If your interest in Quantum Physics has been piqued, and you like Jim Al-Khalili's approach to the subject, this is an excellent introduction. It is the poetic window into another world.

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

QP is one of those things that terrify me because when I think I'm starting to understand it I think I must be mad because there's no way I actually understand any of this so I am perpetually convinced I don't understand it at all even when I think I do which I obviously can't. I call it my Quantum Bamboozlement.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

elengil wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:16 pm QP is one of those things that terrify me because when I think I'm starting to understand it I think I must be mad because there's no way I actually understand any of this so I am perpetually convinced I don't understand it at all even when I think I do which I obviously can't. I call it my Quantum Bamboozlement.
As the great American Physicist, Richard Feynman, (reputedly) said, "If you think you understand quantum mechanics, then you don’t."