Gender Presumptive

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Beorhtnoth

Gender Presumptive

Post by Beorhtnoth »

On a message board, such as this, there is insufficient information to “gender” the person behind any interaction. Any picture constructed is wholly subjective, as even expressed data cannot be verified.

I habitually envisage people I communicate with online as female, until provided evidence indicating the contrary, such as specific personal references. However, I am allegedly in the minority.

I would be interested to know if other people “pre-gender”, and if you do, what is your default and why do you think that is?
In a society built on deceit, telling truth is a seditious act
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: Gender Presumptive

Post by Jude »

Okay - just out of curiosity, what do you think I am? :D

(to answer your question, I usually guess people's gender by their username. I suppose it's not a 100% foolproof method, but it's close enough)
Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

Jude wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:32 am Okay - just out of curiosity, what do you think I am? :D

(to answer your question, I usually guess people's gender by their username. I suppose it's not a 100% foolproof method, but it's close enough)
Actually, Jude, you were kind of the progenitor of this topic! :D

I automatically thought of you as female, until I considered your avatar name, Jude, which is male.

But!

Jude is a male name I mentally consider female. By that I mean "Jude" provokes an automatic response of "female"; I have to consciously correct myself.

I understand what you mean by usernames, but I'm thinking those times where it isn't obvious (although even then, people lie!).
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

For many years, many posters across several different message boards thought I was female.

I always considered it a compliment.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:18 am For many years, many posters across several different message boards thought I was female.

I always considered it a compliment.
A compliment? #everydaysexism :twisted:
Voronwë the Faithful

I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:51 am I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say.
Okay. I'll drop the (failing) attempt at humour.

I found it interesting you considered being thought of as female rather than male a compliment. This indicates a belief being female is superior to being male. Such a belief is, I suggest, sexist.

I was attempting to, succinctly, convey the "twisted evil" of making such an argument, irrespective of the argument's veracity.

I was poking fun at you and me at the same time.

Sorry.

B
Voronwë the Faithful

You and I have very different ideas about what 'sexism' means.
Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:00 am You and I have very different ideas about what 'sexism' means.
Probably. I try to dispense with loaded definitions. Sexism to me is the elevation of one sex in favour of the other, by (for example) presenting one as superior to the other. Whichever is elevated is immaterial.

What does "sexism" mean to you?

ETA

I don't like how sex and gender have become interchangeable terms. To avoid confusion, I generally stick to "sex", but I was unsure how strict the filters are here, so decided on "gender".

Any confusion engendered is, consequently, my responsibility.
Voronwë the Faithful

There is no possible way that I am going to engage with you on this subject.
Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:19 am There is no possible way that I am going to engage with you on this subject.
Having observed your unwarranted hostility, I have no desire for your engagement.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I have to say that got very nasty very quickly for no discernible reason. :(
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End