The Lord of the Rings Musical

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Entertainment Weekly gave it a B and an overall positive review. They took the "ritual" idea and ran with it, though, saying that as it is it's more a pleasure for those who already know Tolkien well than something that will bring in the Great Unread.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

The demo recording that OTB linked to is very much Värttinä. 8)

(BTW, if you're interested in samples of the band's productions, you can listen to excerpts from all of their albums on their website. Click on an album to see the track list of each.)
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

There's a video review on TORN, with clips!

http://img-nex.theonering.net/movies/03 ... calCBC.mov
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Alatar, that's so cool, thanks!!

Jewel, I know you aren't alone in your concern, but it ain't happening. You'll have to hold out for London, when they get an all new cast.
And while informal fan feedback to the preview performances has been positive, many have expressed concern with Dora award-winning actor Brent Carver's portrayal of Gandalf, saying the veteran stage actor doesn't have the commanding presence fans expect from the character.

"Brent has, I think, a brilliant take on the difference between Gandalf the Grey and Gandalf the White," said Wallace, referring to the change Gandalf undergoes after his battle to the death with the Balrog.

"What has come as a surprise to some people is the extraordinary difference exploring between those two characters. I think he is now giving a wonderful, powerful performance as Gandalf the Grey and Gandalf the White."
The Toronto Sun
PR, yes, but if you are defending the portrayal, you aren't going to ax the actor. At least, I don't think so. But then, showbiz can be rather cut-throat.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Thanks for the link to the video, Alatar! :)

"Musical theatre is a high risk investment."

Why does that line remind me of when Boston Red Sox owner Harry Frazee sold Babe Ruth to the Yankees so that he could finance No, No, Nanette? :shock:

Hopefully the company won't lose their mithril corslet on the venture. ;)
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

MithLuin wrote:
Jewel, I know you aren't alone in your concern, but it ain't happening. You'll have to hold out for London, when they get an all new cast.
....many have expressed concern with Dora award-winning actor Brent Carver's portrayal of Gandalf, saying the veteran stage actor doesn't have the commanding presence fans expect from the character.

"Brent has, I think, a brilliant take on the difference between Gandalf the Grey and Gandalf the White," said Wallace, referring to the change Gandalf undergoes after his battle to the death with the Balrog.

"What has come as a surprise to some people is the extraordinary difference exploring between those two characters. I think he is now giving a wonderful, powerful performance as Gandalf the Grey and Gandalf the White."
The Toronto Sun

HAHAHAHHA! The only difference between Gandalf the Grey and Gandalf the White was that he got WORSE in the second two acts! WORSE, do you hear??? He is BAD as Gandalf, Grey, White, or PINK! :P
PR, yes, but if you are defending the portrayal, you aren't going to ax the actor. At least, I don't think so. But then, showbiz can be rather cut-throat.
If the show starts to tank and they think Carver is a cause, believe me, they'll dump him. My guess is that they KNOW he was a poor choice ... but they are locked into some contract thing - plus the embarassment of canning such a known actor.

But if they do, you can bet they'll have some shiny PR for their reasons! :D
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Maybe they can get Stuart Townsend to play the part.

<runs and hides>
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:D

Stuart Townsend would bring such gravitas to the part, don't you think?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

JewelSong wrote:
HAHAHAHHA! The only difference between Gandalf the Grey and Gandalf the White was that he got WORSE in the second two acts! WORSE, do you hear??? He is BAD as Gandalf, Grey, White, or PINK! :P
Hey, you haven't seen him in PINK! Don't condemn him for what you can't tell! Maybe pink is just his colour and he'd run to top-form in PINK! :P

;)

Btw, I don't get anything when I click on your link, Alatar - a quicktime window opens, and there's the bar as if something was being played, but neither sound nor images. Maybe my PC is too old to handle the file. :(
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

You probably just need the latest version of Quicktime Hobby. You can get it here:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone.html
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Looks like London is still on the cards!
'Lord of the Rings' Will Play London
March 28, 2006
By Lauren Horwitch

Daily Variety reports Kevin Wallace, one of the producers of the big-budget Lord of the Rings musical that opened at Toronto's Princess of Wales Theatre March 23, confirmed the show will open in London in 2007.

The reviews of Lord of the Rings, which began previews on Feb. 4, have been lukewarm thus far. However, Wallace pointed out to DV, "Our market research during previews indicated the show is scoring strongly with the ordinary man in the street."

When asked about the reviews, Wallace replied, "I knew this would always be a show that would divide people. They'd either love it or reject it and no one would offer a middle-of-the-road response."

David Mirvish, owner of LOTR's Toronto-presenter and co-producer Mirvish Productions, told DV 180,000 have been sold, which would fill the 2,100-seat theatre to capacity for 11 weeks. Mirvish Productions, however, has not made the exact sales figures available to the press. Prior to opening, the show was said to have drawn an advance of over $15 million.

Touted as one of the most expensive stage productions in history, the show's creative team spent over two years and $27 million Canadian developing the show. The three-and-a half-hour musical adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's trilogy is directed by Matthew Warchus, features music by A.R. Rahman, and book and lyrics by Shaun McKenna. The elaborate sets built by Rob Howell include three interconnected turntables with 16 elevators. More than 70 performers from Canada, the U.S., and other countries comprise the cast.

"We are ultimately dependent on 50 actors and musicians to tell the story rather than technology," Wallace previously told Reuters. "We are going to have to break new ground. It is a hybrid of text, music, spectacle and physical theatre."
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

We are ultimately dependent on 50 actors and musicians to tell the story rather than technology...
That could be read two ways. One could see that as the producer downplaying the gadgetry in his own production, but it could also be a dig at Peter Jackson's heavy reliance on digital imaging and the rest. I'm inclined to think he meant the former, however. :)

My wife and I watched Jackson's King Kong (or "King Kong meets Jurassic Park" as I call it) for the first time Tuesday night. The man needs to learn something about moderation. I wish Sassafrass and I could edit his films. Then we'd have a moderate length film without all the extraneous junk. :D
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I saw a lot I liked in King Kong—but there were entire sequences that could have been lifted straight out of the film without affecting the plot, and it would have been a better film for it. PJ was definitely indulging himself.

His next film, THE LOVELY BONES, won't offer any scope for that kind of excess. It will probably be good for him! :D

I'm glad to hear the LotR musical is going to London. I hope they'll do some recasting (Gandalf, anyway). But I also think that producer was right—people will either get it or they won't, and that includes reviewers.
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Prim, the plan is to open in London while the show is still running in Toronto. In that case, they will have an entire new cast. So, yes, a new Gandalf, but a new Gollum, too! The show will probably be reworked, too. Same music/dialogue, but different decisions about how to present it...maybe cut some sequences, or expand others.

I don't know what's next after that - they can either take the Toronto show on tour, or open another show in another city (Broadway and Las Vegas have been mentioned, but not seriously).

Based on the stage requirements, I doubt this will become a travelling show. They had to rebuild the entire theater! I saw Les Mis on its tour, and that worked much better - I guess you can add the revolving stage without too much trouble.

This show costs an insane amount of money. They will have to play to full houses for a long time to recoup it. My guess is that they would rather run as long as possible in just a few cities...opening in a new city will only happen if they are "winning" the gamble. And, of course, if they lose badly enough, the entire show will stop.

....which is why everyone should go see it once in Toronto ASAP!! ;)
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Anyone been watching Conan this week?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

MithLuin wrote:Prim, the plan is to open in London while the show is still running in Toronto. In that case, they will have an entire new cast. So, yes, a new Gandalf, but a new Gollum, too!
Actually, in many cases what happens is that one of the Headline stars is contracted to play the role for a couple of months in the new venue while they are replaced in the original production. As an example, rumour has it that Idina Menzel will be playing Elphaba in the West End production of Wicked for a few months to "kick-start" the show. Likewise, Colm Wilkinson has often appeared in opening productions of Les Miserables and Phantom, to provide the big name draw. In this case I imagine that (since they are British) the actors playing the Hobbits will almost certainly be replaced in Toronto and be brought to London to open the show. If Thierrault is as good as the reviews suggest, the producers may prevail upon him to come to London for a couple of months, to launch the show.

I'll be there the first week :) I would have said first night, but after what happened in Toronto maybe that wouldn't be very wise!
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

If it really comes to London next year, I'll definitely arrange to see it there, unless some very major obstacles will come in my way. (Then, it might even be possible to plan a moot around the show.) :D
~ Lao Tzu
Queen_Beruthiel

Post by Queen_Beruthiel »

Rowanberry wrote:If it really comes to London next year, I'll definitely arrange to see it there, unless some very major obstacles will come in my way. (Then, it might even be possible to plan a moot around the show.) :D
Well, that sounds very tempting!

Can anyone who has seen the show post comments on the Scouring, which, I believe, is included?

Thanks.
Evil Queen of Gondor
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

I can comment.

It didn't really work. It seemed forced and anti-climatic. It was nice to have the confrontation between Saruman and Frodo, but the scene itself really didn't work dramatically. IMHO.

I think PJ was right to not include it. And I think the musical would be better off leaving it out and using the time to flesh out some of the other plot-lines.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

At last, I logged in at home and had a chance to watch the video review. Visually, it looked great, but of course, one can't say anything about the acting, music, etc. from the clips.
~ Lao Tzu